• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

changing installation directory (newbie)

amoun

Hi.

First time user:

I created a folder 'wholefoodshop' where I installed my oScommerce but renamned the folder 'shop'. As I couldn't access it via the web with that director/folder name I altered a reference in configure.php from 'wholefoodshop' to 'shop' and it now seems to work????

is that all I need to do?????

amoun

facts invariably distort the truth

Nice Picture Pierre :-)

Thanks, but now I've found that I can't admin the site. I tried changing the same 'paths' in two places in the admin/includes/configure.php but I still couldn't use the admin interface to access categories etc. Oops!

I think I may not have installed it properly. I downloaded a demo and have been reconfiguring it thinking that's the best way to learn.

There's no catalog folder ???? God knows where the product info is, unless is on some other server ?????

I've found a catalog in a pkg folder but it has an install file in it not configure.php and there's another catalog folder in there which is empty. mmmm I'm doing well ???

Roger

Thanks for the link to http://wiki.oscommerce.com/helpInstallNew

BUT

The problem was that I had used the IP number rather than local host in the first box. The above link to help said

"

Step 2

Please enter the database server information:

Database Server - localhost

Hostame or IP-address of the database server

The database server can be in the form of a hostname, such as db1.myserver.com, or as an IP-address, such as 192.168.0.1 ... Database username usually is localhost.

"

You can see that it seems like it's saying the sever is a webaddress or ip and that Database username is 'localhost' hence my confusion, whereas the 'username' or database user name is the name I made :-roger_something.

Finnaly I did have to change the permissions on the configures.php files in includes and admin/includes as suggested by an error report.

Well at least I'm feeling I can install it properly now :P

Things are looking good. I have a new install, rather than the demo, and I've changes all references to 'catalog' (small case) in the includes and admin/includes configure.php files.

Yep 'tis looking good. I've learnt a bit.

Hugs to The_Bear and all you other animals out there.

Roger 8)

Archived