• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

E-mail header

imlek

Hi,

I notice that every email sent by "contact us" and "tell friends" have (In email header) :

X-Mailer: osCommerce Mailer

I want to change it to became:

X-Mailer: MyStore.com Mailer

And how about if I change the email header on newsletter from:

X-Mailer: osCommerce bulk mailer

To:

X-Mailer: MyStore.com bulk mailer

I know (from reading this forums) I need to edit includes/functions/general.php and /admin/includes/modules/newsletter.php, but my concern: Is this allowed and not affecting other function on osc?

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thank you in advance.

Have you changed the actual name of the store in the Admin section yet? By default the store name is osCommerce, which it will use when sending out emails.

This should do it....if not let me know.

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Note: what you want to do will make the header send invalid information. The X-Mailer is not to say anything about who is sending the information but to say what (Pine, Outlook Express, Eudora, etc.) is sending the information. Rather than changing it to your store name, it would make more sense to change it to another generic, like Store Mailer, PHP Mailer, Ecommerce Mailer, etc. Or just remove it entirely--if you are not going to include accurate info, why include it at all?

osCommerce won't care about the X-Mailer value.

Why do you want to change it anyway?

Hth,

Matt

P.S. I could be wrong, but I thought that this was set in email.php.

• 1 year later...
Note:  what you want to do will make the header send invalid information.  The X-Mailer is not to say anything about who is sending the information but to say what (Pine, Outlook Express, Eudora, etc.) is sending the information.  Rather than changing it to your store name, it would make more sense to change it to another generic, like Store Mailer, PHP Mailer, Ecommerce Mailer, etc.  Or just remove it entirely--if you are not going to include accurate info, why include it at all?

osCommerce won't care about the X-Mailer value.

Why do you want to change it anyway?

Hth,

Matt

P.S.  I could be wrong, but I thought that this was set in email.php.

My boss wants me to change the x-mailer line as well. I have searched and searched and tried several different suggestions found on the forum and nothing seems to work. If I can't change it, I would like to delete it, but I don't know where to make the changes.

I want to change it on the e-mails you manually send from the admin section, as well as the Welcome and Order e-mails.

My current e-mail status from the admin section is as follows:

E-mail transport method: sendmail

E-mail line feeds: LF

MIME HTML: false

Verify E-mail Addresses Through DNS: false

Send E-mails: true

My mind tends to go into a tailspin regarding the technical aspects of e-mail, so please be as simple as possible if you think you can help me. :blink:

To answer your question, it is allowed and won't hurt anything if you change it. However, there are several places in the files that it occurs so you will need to search all of your files for x-mailer to find them all. The PageMaker contribution will change all of them for you in one shot if you want to go that way.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

To answer your question, it is allowed and won't hurt anything if you change it. However, there are several places in the files that it occurs so you will need to search all of your files for x-mailer to find them all. The PageMaker contribution will change all of them for you in one shot if you want to go that way.

Jack

Thanks, Jack! It seems to be working. I don't have a newsletter or product updates right now, so I can't check those e-mails, but the others seem to be fine.

For those who might be reading this thread, I changed "X-mailer: Oscommerce" to "X-mailer: StoreName". Here are the files that I changed:

catalog/includes/functions/general.php

admin/mail.php

admin/includes/functions/general.php

admin/includes/modules/newsletter/newsletter.php

admin/includes/modules/newsletter/product-notification.php

I don't have the ability to search my website right now, and all my changes are done manually with a word processor; so I may have missed a file. Let me know if I have.

CG :)

Archived