• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

parse error, unexpected T_STRING in default.php bug?

exstaticj

Hello and thank you all in advance fr contributing to this software. This has been quite a learning experience for me. I am new to this forum, I signed up five mins ago as a last resort. I am not the type of person who comes crying without following the rules.

I installed osc yesterday, tested the functionality of the site and it appears to be working. I actually love the interface. Here's my problem:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /www/./........./htdocs/catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php on line 13

I could post the code from my english/index.php file, but I don't think it will do any good. All's I have to do is open it and save it, even without making changes and when I refresh the site I get the parse error.

It doesn't matter if I try to edit from admin file manager or on my hard drive and then ftp I keep getting this error. So far I have only had the problem while editing the file htdocs/catalog/includes/languages/english/index.php (I am only making text changes, no coding)

I have made minor changes to includes/header.php with no problem.

I have already posted on my webhost's forum, and searched this forum.

This following thread is the closest that I have come to a solution:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...xpected+tstring

Does anyone know how to install a bug fix? If so, would one wish to share there knoweledge with me? Here is the bug documentation (the following link is from the above mentioned thread):

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tep-commit...105770183215818

Thanks again,

Jonathan - The New Guy

define('TEXT_MAIN', ' is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products shown are for demonstrational purposes, <b>any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/1.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Error Messages</b><br><br>If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.<br><br>Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete <span class="messageStackError">background</span> color.<br><br>Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.</td></tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/2.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Editing Page Texts</b><br><br>The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:<br><br><nobr class="messageStackSuccess">[path to catalog]/includes/languages/' . $language . '/' . FILENAME_DEFAULT . '</nobr><br><br>That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Languages->' . ucfirst($language) . '->Define</nobr> or <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Tools->File Manager</nobr> modules.<br><br>The text is set in the following manner:<br><br><nobr>define('TEXT_MAIN', '<span class="messageStackSuccess">This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...</span>');</nobr><br><br>The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:<br><br><nobr>define('TEXT_MAIN', '');</nobr><br><br>More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read <a href="http://www.php.net/define" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/3.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Securing The Administration Tool</b><br><br>It is important to secure the Administration Tool as there is currently no security implementation available.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/4.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Online Documentation</b><br><br>Online documentation can be read at the <a href="http://wiki.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Wiki Documentation Effort</u></a> site.<br><br>Community support is available at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com/forums" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Community Support Forums</u></a> site.</td></tr></table><br>If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>. This shop is running on osCommerce version <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');

define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');

define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');

Rather than go through each line of the demonstration text since you are going to want to remove it anyway try changing it to this:

define('TEXT_MAIN' , 'Put whatever you want here!');

Thanks for the tip. I tried to replace the demonstration text above with:

define('TEXT_MAIN' , 'Put whatever you want here!');

and I still received the parse error. Then I tried to just add it before:

define('TEXT_MAIN', ' is a default setup of the osCommerce project, products ...

and that seemed to work. The osc text is still present in the code, just hidden on the actual site. I am very new to this so I have no idea why that would be but I thought the information would be interesting to someone.

Thanks so much JB! I'm on to the next phase. I'll be back if I run into any more problems.

Have a great weekend!

Jonathan - The New Guy

Archived