• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

what to charge?

Hello,

I am just wondering, my friends work is looking to setup oscommerce, but they want me to design there layout,

my question is, what is the average cost to charge per hour on redesigning the layout of oscommerce?

thank you

john

It depends. You have to ask yourself a few questions...

How knowledgable am I with php, html, css, mysql, javascript and oscommerce? If you can design what your client wants in 20 hrs and I can design what your client wants in 30 hrs, who should charge more per hour?

How nice of a site does your client want? You could say that building a web site is like building a house. If you want a $500,000 dollar house I can build a $500,000 house. If you want a $200,000 dollar house I can build a $200,000 house.

There is no set price per hour that is universal in web design/development.

Perdure - Transparent Object Relational Persistence

I doubt it is possible to put a well-designed osc store togther for much less than $3000-$4000 for a 3rd party. One that no longer looks like the default. Remember you client will have lots of ideas of whet they want in there.

Its an interesting point though.

I come from a commercial design background and it was bad enough when dealing with an industry that at least had 'some' trading history to set a price.

The internet is changing daily as it moves on as we all know here. . .

The reality is that for pure commercial work one has to look at the balance between what you are worth against what the most you can get away with charging. . . its a calculation that is really impossible to work out. . . we are now in a global industry. . . I have been often 'pipped to the post' with 'freelancers' charging 10% of what the job is worth. . . . and guys in india doing stuff for virtually nothing. . .

Its a minefield eh? LOL! :P

But my advice is that if you are charging as a professional, work out EXACTLY what the brief is. Estimate how long it will take (for someone who knows the software and is not spending time 'training') and then judge what your hourly rate is based on what you need to reasonably earn to keep ya happy. You will get a figure and then stick close to it.

Beep beep!

Archived