• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

wild modification help

I am building a site for a customer who owns a realestate rental bussiness, the customer has 80 properties and has on average 7 or so availible for rent. He wants to show the properties availible for rent on the home page and not show the ones taken. This was a simple fix of adding the properties and using the featured products mod. I changed all references of products in osc code to say properties, and added all properties to the featured products list. Now the customer just has to activate the properties that are availible in the admin and deactivate the rest.

The other thing the customer wants is my problem. he wants current renters to be able to pay thier monthly rent on the website, so I am wanting to change the link on the top right header to say pay rent instead of check out, and then they would log in and instead of saying your shoping cart is empty it would say your monthy rent is $800 and instead of saying check out it would say pay this months rent.

You get the rest. I am almost thinking it would be easier to start from scratch and get rid of the shoping cart completly.

Any ideas?

This would be a cool contrib, I have allready changed all references in osc code from products to properties and I changed categories to cities. renamed tables in the database and everything, I would hate to throw away all of that work and start over.

I have been thinking about this and I was wondering if oscommerce has a contribution that will allow a customer to buy a certian product only after he logs in, and then have another customer set up were he can buy a different products only after he logs in?

This would work as I could just set up each customer with a product and just call it rent and change the buy now button to pay rent.

Any Ideas

Kirk,

Here's my idea. It's fairly complex, but it appears you've made significant changes in the past, so here it goes:

Create an admin page and DB table to allow the administrator to enter reoccuring rent with amounts, due dates, late charges, etc and link it to the customers table. Then have the application setup a category containing the customers_id and create a product in the customer_id category with the rent amount. Create a flag in the categories table to identify the category as a "rent" category so it will not be displayed with the other categories.

I'm not sure if you're using the info boxes on your site, but my suggestion is to create an info box similar to tell_a_friend or gift_voucher that could only be seen when the customer is logged in. This box would contain the rent amount, due date, late charges, etc and a "Pay now" button. When the "Pay Now button is click, it should automatically insert the "rent" product into the customers cart and send the customer to the checkout_payment.php screen.

Hope this helps,

Tim

well actually you hit it right on the dot, that is exactlly what I need to do, but I am not sure if I am capibale of doing that. I plan to study this a little more and if it is something I manage to finish I will create the contrib.

I am adding the extra table now to give the customer the ability to ad the rent price due date late charges and so on.

here is what I created so far

mysql> use homes

Database changed

mysql> show columns from rent

-> ;

+--------------+---------------+------+-----+---------------------+-------------

---+

| Field | Type | Null | Key | Default | Extra

|

+--------------+---------------+------+-----+---------------------+-------------

---+

| rent_id | int(11) | | PRI | NULL | auto_increme

nt |

| customers_id | int(11) | | MUL | 0 |

|

| rent_amount | decimal(15,4) | | | 0.0000 |

|

| due_date | datetime | | | 0000-00-00 00:00:00 |

|

| late_charges | decimal(15,4) | | | 0.0000 |

|

---+

5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Does this look ok so far? I made rent_id primary and auto increment and I made customers_id the index.

also I do not know if I should be using date, datetime, or timestamp if the date is going to be inputed by the customer.

any help is apprectiated.

Kirk,

This looks right so far. You might want to add a "paid date" field, for tracking or reporting purposes or better yet, add orders_id to link it to the orders table which already contains this information.

How will it be handled it the renter decides to pay by check or phone? Just something to think about. You may possible need to add additional administration screens to handle these type of payment.

As far as your due_date field, I'd keep it like it is, datetime.

Cheers,

Tim

www.ShooShoosUSA.com

• 1 year later...

Archived