• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Wiki DOCS are TOO hard to follow for us newbies... HELP!!!!!

Maybe someone could possibly look into make the HELP and HOW TO documentation EASIER for the LAYMEN

I mean -- if you are NOT into coding and have no experience with FTPing and CODING and PHP and ADMIN stuff....

it IS HARD.

THIS IS NOT SO EASY...

it's an AWESOME cart.....

but it would be awesome if the VERY THOROUGH documentation provided already were translated for the average person... user friendly for stupid people like me :lol: :lol: :lol:

The WIKI docs are always being updated.... but this whole thing is being done by volunteers... on their spare time.

but just take your time and you can get through...

When I started all I knew was basic html and I am by no means a pro... but I am getting along

Angela

yes, the volunteers have done a wonderful job and it's awesome that everyone is sharing all this info with each other.

I truly appreciate everything...

I am just suggesting the addition of some documentation that is much easier to understand... for people like me.... NON-CODERS.

my webhost uses Cpanel6 and it has the option to add this cart... which is the solution to my selling issues...

HOWEVER... that also means that I, the super-novice, have to have experience in coding...

I HAVE NONE.

I follow the wiki documentation and since I have no prior knowledge of PHP, FTP or other things..

I am destroying my cart.

I can't follow this. I am trying. I am a fast learning... but I just can't follow the documentation.... it's too confusing for someone with NO CODING experience at all.

I am just suggesting the addition of some documentation that is much easier to understand... for people like me.... NON-CODERS.

my webhost uses Cpanel6 and it has the option to add this cart... which is the solution to my selling issues...

HOWEVER... that also means that I, the super-novice, have to have experience in coding...

I HAVE NONE.

My point is that you really don't need any. Of course it might be easier if you had, but I had NONE before I started... I had never heard of PHP... as I said I new basic html and that was about it for coding for me...

I follow the wiki documentation and since I have no prior knowledge of PHP, FTP or other things..

I am destroying my cart.

This is why you back up!! :) At least the pages you are working on if not the whole site.

I can't follow this.  I am trying.  I am a fast learning... but I just can't follow the documentation.... it's too confusing for someone with NO CODING experience at all.

The code looks confusing, but it will make sence if you look... and most of the stuff you do can be cut and paste... just be carefull and as I said

:!: BACK UP :!:

Angela

Thank you for replying.

I back up everything I ever do.

the issue is NOT about backing up for me.

The issue is...

that I do not have good knowledge of FTPING

that I do not have good knowledge of HTML

that I do not have good knowledge of any type of coding

that I do not have good knowledge of oscommerce

I cannot follow the instructions as they are WRITTEN because I have MUCH LESS experience than you.

I have NOT added ONE THING to my store yet. there is NOTHING to back up at this point... IF THERE WAS --- I would. BUT THERE IS NOTHING IN IT

I am trying to set it up FIRST.... so if I mess up I can just reload the entire thing.

HOWEVER... I cannpt figure it out AT ALL

I am finding that when I do one thing.. I mess up another thing.

I cannot make this work

PLUS I need affiliate stuff and I can't figure out how to use my ftp program to upload it... apparently I have to upload one tiny piece at a time. I can't upload a folder and I don't even know where it all goes.

and then I have to upload something else somewhere... and I don't know where ... and I have to change different lines ?!?!?! huh???? how? where???

why ....what is line 124

and LINE 32

and what do I really change and HOW do I open a php file to change it???

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

backup up something that contains nothing feels a little silly to me. but I will if it will solve all my questions.

PLUS I need affiliate stuff and I can't figure out how to use my ftp program to upload it... apparently I have to upload one tiny piece at a time. I can't upload a folder and I don't even know where it all goes

I'm going to suggest SmartFTP. It's free. And you can upload whole folders at a time.

http://www.smartftp.com/

If you are having this much trouble, maybe it might behoove you to hire someone for the initial install.

SmartFTP rocks and is easy to use.

About the Wiki docs, all I can suggest is to not be intimidated by all the codes and symbols. I know a whole lof of nothing about PHP, but I do a lot of Google searches to find out what a term means that certain guides mention. It is up to you to GET YOURSELF INFORMED. There are too many free resources for a person to REMAIN uninformed. If you are a fast learner like you say, seek knowledge... and fast.

Good Luck! :D

if you're really THAT technically illiterate..you're probably in the wrong place...sry...but you will need some programming know-how to use this cart. You can choose to learn yourself...or hire someone. :)

You should be able to pick up some pretty inexpensive books that will take a few days to read and then you will at least be able to follow the code. There are also many online resources available if you search.

http://www.codingclick.com/article.php/aid/18

http://www.codingclick.com/article.php/aid/21

http://www.codingclick.com/subcoding.php/id/4/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...0854752-6269407

etc...

With all due respect - I think it is not a wise decision to go into e-commerce without knowing (or learning) any of the basics.

Its either that or you hire some 'muscle' to do it for you.

Basic html, ftp / php / mysql is way beyond the scope of ANY osCommerce documentation, you can not expect the Wiki authors to

write that for you.

Indeed, get some books, do a search on google.com for basic lessons and you can learn all there is to know about the basics within a couple of months. If you're not willing to do that (or to find someone that does this for you) osCommerce is not for you - and I doubt if any commercial package will be.

Regards,

Mattice

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Archived