• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Seperate Pricing Per Customer v3.5

scendent

We're working (Jan & I) on an update to this contrib so that it works properly. Lots of people are interested in it and have been really put off by the bugs.

The contrib was never really completed as I suspect the original author moved off into other areas before it was 100%.

Work is progressing quite quickly and the idea is that once it's completed I'll post a radically updated contrib that is complete and working with Jan's code. That should help out a lot of people as this contrib is a very good idea.  :D

Hi Marvin!

I feel relieved!!!! THanks a lot for your work... SPPC is a great contrib and it was pitifull that it hasn't been completed.

Do you have an idea of how much time you need (you & Jan) to complete it?

OSC2.2

Hi Mujina;

Jan's actually doing all the real work - I'm just willing to spend some time packing it up as a completed contribution.

With regards to timeframe - when it's ready it's ready. Lot's of progress has been done on it so it's very encouraging.

I'm eager to look at the tax contribution that someone added to it. If it works well it will be a valuable addition because Retail customers typically pay tax and Wholesale customers don't. That's something I realized up to this point the contribution had not taken into consideration.

Best & Thanks;
Marvin
----------------------
osCommerce 2.3.3.4 

Hi Mujina;

Jan's actually doing all the real work - I'm just willing to spend some time packing it up as a completed contribution.

With regards to timeframe - when it's ready it's ready. Lot's of progress has been done on it so it's very encouraging.

I'm eager to look at the tax contribution that someone added to it. If it works well it will be a valuable addition because Retail customers typically pay tax and Wholesale customers don't. That's something I realized up to this point the contribution had not taken into consideration.

You're right, this add-on : 14 Jan 2005 - Enable or disable tax for different customers

for seperate price per customer is really usefull as any store would prefer to display prices excluding taxes for some groups of customers. Once it is completed SPPC should become an essential contribution.

OSC2.2

Talk about add-on... I am using this contribution and it works great. There is one thing I am looking for and perhaps someone has added this on top of the contribution that can share it...? I would like to have handling fee applied for "retailer" but not for other groups such as "wholesale" in the shipping cost. Any ideas, anyone?

Ok, so I don't feel to idiotic! No one has the special prices per group working? I have read 16 pages of posts and spent 2 days beating my head up and double checking the code. This is the erro I am getting only when an item has a special price:

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource on line 103 in database.php.

"There is no disgrace in not knowing, the only disgrace is not to be willing to learn." ...Benjamin Franklin

No one has the special prices per group working?
I got it working on a number of pages now, but then again Marvin and I are re-writing the contribution ;)

That part of the contribution (as it is in the contribution section now) is a total disaster. I think the original author ran away screaming because he couldn't get it to work. It can, but we need some more time.

I don't suppose anyone would be willing to create a FAQ off of this topic? It would be VERY helpful instead of digging for a specific answer.

Thanks.

I think the idea is that the contrib is being re-written so that a FAQ is not needed. As it stands the contrib in stock form is missing some pretty key functionality and doesn't display proper pricing on several pages. In short, it can't be counted on the way it is.

As mentioned, specials doesn't work at all (at least in any consistant way). If people expect the contrib to work properly 'out of the box' they will be disappointed.

Even with all the important keys mentioned in this thread installed in the contribution, it still won't work properly and is quite inefficient.

While making a FAQ would be somewhat useful, all it will get you is to the point where the original code is holding you back.

A person can use this contrib but they should be well versed in PHP to massage it into shape. :D

Best & Thanks;
Marvin
----------------------
osCommerce 2.3.3.4 

I got it working on a number of pages now, but then again Marvin and I are re-writing the contribution  ;)

That part of the contribution (as it is in the contribution section now) is a total disaster. I think the original author ran away screaming because he couldn't get it to work. It can, but we need some more time.

Hi Jan!!!

Have you worked on the "xsell" module and the "bundled products" contributions for the update of SPPC?

Thanks for your work!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by mujina

OSC2.2

Have you worked on the "xsell" module and the "bundled products" contributions for the update of SPPC?
No, actually I have never even looked at those contributions. At the moment Marvin and I are trying to make SPPC work as it should and make it less a burden on the server. For this we are putting the customer_group_id in the session variables and for those pages were several products are listed (like products_new.php, includes/modules/product_listing.php en new_products.php) we have rewritten a lot of stuff to cut the number of database queries to the bare minimum.

Example, if there were 9 products in the box New Products for January, SPPC would query three times for each product (if you used specials for customer groups that is, otherwise it would be two). Now it is cut back to one, maximum two (if one of those products is a special) for the whole box.

I think the most time consuming pages (in rewriting) are done, so what is left is updating the other pages. Testing, testing, testing of course and another time consuming thing will be the update of the admin section.

We would like to integrate Oliver H?bner's modification for showing prices, and if possible we would like to also be able to set which taxes should not be applied for certain customer groups. Might be too ambitious that last one, but we'll have to see about it. If anyone knows of a contribution that already implemented that, I would love to hear it.

So things are progressing, but we are not there yet.

No, actually I have never even looked at those contributions. At the moment Marvin and I are trying to make SPPC work as it should and make it less a burden on the server. For this we are putting the customer_group_id in the session variables and for those pages were several products are listed (like products_new.php, includes/modules/product_listing.php en new_products.php) we have rewritten a lot of stuff to cut the number of database queries to the bare minimum.

Example, if there were 9 products in the box New Products for January, SPPC would query three times for each product (if you used specials for customer groups that is, otherwise it would be two). Now it is cut back to one, maximum two (if one of those products is a special) for the whole box.

I think the most time consuming pages (in rewriting) are done, so what is left is updating the other pages. Testing, testing, testing of course and another time consuming thing will be the update of the admin section.

We would like to integrate Oliver H?bner's modification for showing prices, and if possible we would like to also be able to set which taxes should not be applied for certain customer groups. Might be too ambitious that last one, but we'll have to see about it. If anyone knows of a contribution that already implemented that, I would love to hear it.

So things are progressing, but we are not there yet.

Thanks for your reply Jan!

I regret not to be able to bring you some help on this update as I'm really too bad in php. Your work seems to meet people needs with this contribution. It's great!!! Congratulations!!!!!

Send you my support! :thumbsup:

OSC2.2

Hi Jan!!!

Thanks for your work!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi mujina;

I have the x-sell contrib installed in my store. It's working with Separate Pricing and even the updated one Jan is working on. There is one minor issue with it that has always been there and that's the prioritize feature doesn't seem to work.

It's a small issue so it hasn't been high on my radar screen.

BTW, the X-Sell contrib I have is the one that it supposed to work with SPPC

Best & Thanks;
Marvin
----------------------
osCommerce 2.3.3.4 

Hi mujina;

I have the x-sell contrib installed in my store. It's working with Separate Pricing and even the updated one Jan is working on. There is one minor issue with it that has always been there and that's the prioritize feature doesn't seem to work.

It's a small issue so it hasn't been high on my radar screen.

BTW, the X-Sell contrib I have is the one that it supposed to work with SPPC

Hello Marvin!

can't wait to test it :lol:

Edited by mujina

OSC2.2

Well, now I wish I'd read through this forum before going through the lengthy manual install today!

Didn't realize this thing was so buggy!

Glad to hear somebody's repackaging it!

Now I'm wondering if I should back everything out, since I'm thinking they might not be basing their work on the previous author's code.

-= Dave =-

Dave,

There are numerous changes, but a lot of them are on about the same spot as the original code. So comparing the new files with the files you now have shouldn't be too bad.

Marvin and I are about ready with the new code, which will be lean and mean :)

If Marvin's testing shows that it works like SPPC was supposed to, the new version might be not to far away. Writing up all the install instructions shouldn't be taken lightly though... so bear with us. ;)

Hello Jan, Marvin and all people who are longing for the new release!!! :D

Well, I've almost finished my first shop :P and I was wondering if the new version of SPPC would be posted in less than 2 weeks.

Take your time but I wanted to know if I had to remove the old one or if it was worth waiting if it has to be posted before the launch of my shop...

Thanks again!! :thumbsup:

OSC2.2

Hi mujina;

I just received the latest code and it's looking pretty good so far. I haven't finished bug testing it so I can't say it's 100% done yet but I am pretty encouraged.

The code is really tight and the revamped contrib is very near to being finished (I guess if I don't find anything wrong - it might well be done?).

After we've both signed off on it for bugs then my job will be to document the changes for an existing osC install as well as a new osC install. I do have files that will be included with the contrib to make installation MUCH easier as many files require modification.

Will it be ready in two weeks? I don't know for certain. I am very busy with other things at this exact time but I should be able to squeeze it in. The thing is both Jan and I would like to see it as perfect as possible so that people don't have to suffer with errors if at all possible. Both of us sympathize with the issues that have continued to crop up with people implementing the existing Separate Pricing contrib and desire to minimize those problems as much as possible.

For myself, I've seen firsthand how much time & effort Jan has put into the new contrib and I'd like to do it justice by having great documentation included with it. To that end I'd prefer not to rush the very last steps but complete everything as clean as possible.

For anyone considering installing this contrib, the easiest way will be to upload the files on a new osC install. Manual code entry requires modifying roughly 29 files for installation - it's a large and extensive contribution.

Jan's done wonderful things with making the code cleaner & more streamlined. People installing the new contrib will not only find proper functionality site-wide (something that's sorely missing in the current contrib) but also increased speed over the existing versions.

Anyway, more on that later once I start in on the documentation. To directly answer your question though, I would probably remove the Separate Pricing contrib you have installed very carefully. I suspect this would be the cleanest way to fly but it's up to you.

Best & Thanks;
Marvin
----------------------
osCommerce 2.3.3.4 

Hi,

im using SPPC since a while and wondering if im the only one having trouble with sorting products (shown in products_listing) by price when im logged in (as member from a customer group).

It always tries to sort the products by "default" price which resides in table "products". But that seems logical since i never saw any changes being made to the index.php file - where the sort/filter calls are made.

Would be thankful for some comments.

It always tries to sort the products by "default" price which resides in table "products".
That's right. On the index page the module product_listing is used for showing the products and there is where SPPC substitutes the prices that are retrieved in the sql-query to the ones from products_groups and specials (for the particular customer_group).

To change that, the sql should already collect all the correct prices. It is not totally impossible, but it is rather a pain. As far as I could see, the only way to do that is to make a temporary table, select into that table the product_prices from products if there is none in products_groups, prices from products_groups if there for that customer group and use a different query if the customer wants to sort on price. My understanding is that creating tables is rather taxing on the server, so it shoudn't be taken lightly.

How important is it that feature to work 100% correctly, taking into account the server load?

HI Marvin!!!!

Thanks for your reply. It's a great and amazing job you made!! Thanks so much for people who are using SPPC. I'm gonna follow your advise and remove the old version. Your work seems to be perfect and thus I send you my congratulations as so many people out there have tried to have this contribution work and failed.

Don't rush!!!!! Take your time and don't work too much even if we are longing for the new version. :D

It's a gift for oscommerce community!!!! All the best for you & Jan. Thanks for your commitment! :thumbsup:

Edited by mujina

OSC2.2

I'm gonna follow your advise and remove the old version.
I wouldn't remove the entries in the database if I were you, it would mean you have to repeat work for no reason. If you mean only removing the SPPC code from the PHP files, you could also do it just before installing the new version and leave it for now...