• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

As for categories description, you can only use one of the options, either the one you have installed or the one in Header Tags. If you are going to use the one you have installed, then you don't need the code changes for that part in Header Tags. So all of the changes to the index file (except for the <title>) are not needed. There are a few changes in admin/categories.php that deal with that option but trying to sort them out may be more difficult than just installing them.

The changes in the includes/header_tags.php file fixed some problems as well as added a new option so you should install it.

Version 2.61 is not mine so I don't support it and don't know what changes are needed to update to it.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an earlier version of HTC installed, and I was having the problem that when editing a category, there was no display of the tag values, nor fields to edit them...just tag names.

I updated to the latest complete package, and made the changes (over) to admin/categories.php .. twice. I get the same results every time. When I edit a category, it looks like this...

Sort Order: [ ]

Header Tags Category Title

Header Tags Category Description

Header Tags Category Keywords

Header Tags Categories Description

When I look at the code...there isn't any call to create an input field for these values.

Sounds like there was a mistake in the file and it was carried over to the new install. Try using the file included in the package to see if the problem goes away.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Nop. Definitely missing code. Here is what the category_edit case should look like...

// HTC BOC

$category_htc_title_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_htc_title_tag[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']',tep_get_category_htc_title($cInfo->categories_id, $languages[$i]['id']));

$category_htc_desc_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_htc_desc_tag[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']',tep_get_category_htc_desc($cInfo->categories_id, $languages[$i]['id']));

$category_htc_keywords_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('categories_htc_keywords_tag[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']',tep_get_category_htc_keywords($cInfo->categories_id, $languages[$i]['id']));

$category_htc_description_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_textarea_field('categories_htc_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'hard', 30, 5, tep_get_category_htc_description($cInfo->categories_id, $languages[$i]['id']));

// HTC EOC

but the install instructions have no tep calls to fill in the text...so that, for example, the description string line looks like this...

$category_htc_description_string .= '<br>' . tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_textarea_field('categories_htc_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'hard', 30, 5, ' ');

and there's nothing to edit.

I'm confused and think I confused my post. Here it is again.

I'm attempting to upgrade HTC 2.59 to 2.60.

I have several questions :

1 - I have enable/disable categories installed. My question is can I use the supplied includes/header_tags.php or will I need to edit all the queries in it? The disable category contrib hides the category from everyone using c.categories_status = 1 in the queries.

2 - Do I need to follow the instructions for update header tags admin controller as part of this upgrade?

3 - Do I need to follow the instructions for update categories description to upgrade? I looked at it and the edits to admin/categories don't match my file. I have the update for ms2.2 060817.

Sorry for the repeat, but I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks for the assistance.

1 - Yes, you need to use the new file. But you can use a compare program, like WinMerge, to just copy the new parts so that you don't lose all of your changes.

2 & 3 - You need to add whatever changes there are (not many as I recall). It is not uncommon for the instructions not to match the file since the categories file is probably the most often changed in all shops.

The shop and admin parts of Header Tags are fairly separate. Install the shop side and get it working. Your shop should still work with those changes and nothing done to admin. You won't be able to use the new options until admin is completed but it might make it easier to do this way.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I have HTC 2.2 installed (latest package) and running fine, after some mistakes I made.

But now I would like to use it.

I have read the So_What_Good_Is_It.txt but this is a bit short for someone who has just a faint idea, what it is all about.

Is there somewhere a user-documentation for HTC?

Or do I have to read all the pages of this very big thread, which mainly consist of installation problems and solutions?

I would be happy to get all the profit out of HTC after I spend some time in the installation.

yours

Andreas

SHP: OsCommerce 2.2 Milestone 2;

SQL für osC: MySQL 4.1.20-standard

SQL für CAO: MySQL 5.01 & MySQL-Client-Version: 4.0.24

SRV: AppServ Open Project 2.4.0

Server Version: 4.1.20-standard

PHP Version: 5.1.4 (Zend: 2.1.0)

SYS: Windows XP Home Edition SP2

CAO: Faktura 1.2.6.21 F; Kasse: no

Contributions:

CAO-OSC.PHP 1.53_496

Download_Controllerv5.3 MS2.2_2 Patched on Dec 6, 2006 by Yonny

Visitor Web Stats 3.1

UnsoldCartsReport_v2.1

keywords 1.3

Bank Transfer V1.1B

European Bank Transfer 1.9.1

HeaderTags_V_2.6.1

What you are asking about is the process of SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Header Tags is one of the tools to help in that process. If you have it installed correctly and have ran Fill Tags, then the majority of the work with regards to setting up titles and keywords is done, although you can fine-tune that. But setting up keywords on the home page, which is probably the most important part of SEO, is not something that is covered by Header Tags. You have to select the keywords yourself and change the text on the page to use those keywords effectively. Header Tags will allow you to change the title and meta tags for the home page using those keywords, but that is all. The document you mentioned was meant as a short, quick quide to get you going. But the actual work of optimizing the page is beyond the scope of what Header Tags, or any contribution, can do. If you use google to search these forums for SEO, there are many, many threads about how to set up a page. By installing Header Tags, you have taken the first step in a many-step process. The rest you have to do yourself.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

What you are asking about is the process of SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Header Tags is one of the tools to help in that process. If you have it installed correctly and have ran Fill Tags, then the majority of the work with regards to setting up titles and keywords is done, although you can fine-tune that. But setting up keywords on the home page, which is probably the most important part of SEO, is not something that is covered by Header Tags.

yes I know that and I already googled on SEO and studies a lot of pages. That's why I looked for a solution to solve this with osC and found HTC.

You have to select the keywords yourself and change the text on the page to use those keywords effectively. Header Tags will allow you to change the title and meta tags for the home page using those keywords, but that is all. The document you mentioned was meant as a short, quick quide to get you going. But the actual work of optimizing the page is beyond the scope of what Header Tags, or any contribution, can do. If you use google to search these forums for SEO, there are many, many threads about how to set up a page. By installing Header Tags, you have taken the first step in a many-step process. The rest you have to do yourself.

Jack

What I need and asked for is a manual which explains the features of HTC. All the functions and menu-points.

+ Page Control

+ Text control

+ fill text

And also unter Admin-Catalog I find editing each article: there are fields for header tags.

How does this relate to each other. What can I do with it.

For example: I have a multi-language shop. And HTC seems to support the multi language shop. But I don't know how to switch from German to English in the Admin to use HTC for each language: For example unter the menu Text Control comes up "Header Tags German". Hot to edit the "Header Tags English"?

Programmers often do a very good work, but they stop after 95% of the job: before the documention is done. - If the user did not make the system analyses or did not say, what to programm, but is just an end-user. Then he knows nothing about the concept of the software and how to use it.

Of course I have to find out, what my key words are and find a description for every article-page.

But I am just looking for a user manual of HTC. Or did I missed it and it is somewhere ?

And: I did not read all the 156 pages of the HTC-thread. Perhaps there is a lot of info about the usage of HTC. - If that is so: please tell me, than I have to read it all. - What I read until now was about installation. I got that step.

Perhaps someone is going to write a user manual !? Or an FAQ on HTC?!

And perhaps it is a good idea to start a new thread for a new version of HTC: as it is overwhelming to read through 156 pages where the main part of the questions and answers are already solved by the newest version.

yours

Andreas

SHP: OsCommerce 2.2 Milestone 2;

SQL für osC: MySQL 4.1.20-standard

SQL für CAO: MySQL 5.01 & MySQL-Client-Version: 4.0.24

SRV: AppServ Open Project 2.4.0

Server Version: 4.1.20-standard

PHP Version: 5.1.4 (Zend: 2.1.0)

SYS: Windows XP Home Edition SP2

CAO: Faktura 1.2.6.21 F; Kasse: no

Contributions:

CAO-OSC.PHP 1.53_496

Download_Controllerv5.3 MS2.2_2 Patched on Dec 6, 2006 by Yonny

Visitor Web Stats 3.1

UnsoldCartsReport_v2.1

keywords 1.3

Bank Transfer V1.1B

European Bank Transfer 1.9.1

HeaderTags_V_2.6.1

In reading that thread it sounds like the contribution was not installed correctly. You will need to do that before it will work for you.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi all,

I installed HTC2.5.9 on my site that has STS4.2.

All seems to work correctly except for when I go onto a product description page and all I get is a blank page.

I've been told this is prob a mistake in the cat.php file, can anyone point me to which piece of code this could be? As i have other contribs installed it was difficult to update so there probably is a mistake but I haven't got a clue where it could be?

I can post my cat.php file if needed (just didn't want to take up this page with it!)

Thank you

Becki

Hi all,

I installed HTC2.5.9 on my site that has STS4.2.

All seems to work correctly except for when I go onto a product description page and all I get is a blank page.

I've been told this is prob a mistake in the cat.php file, can anyone point me to which piece of code this could be? As i have other contribs installed it was difficult to update so there probably is a mistake but I haven't got a clue where it could be?

I can post my cat.php file if needed (just didn't want to take up this page with it!)

Thank you

Becki

I am not familiar with a product description page in admin so I don't understand the problem you are having. The contribution comes with a categories file. You should first try replacing yours with it to make sure the problem is in that file. If it works, then you should download the WinMerge program and compare the two files.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I have succesfully added this contribution to my Oscommerce.

Only in the title bar on the index.php I get for example: Home Page - My default website title

But I think it's nicer to display it like: My default website title - Home Page, or actually Home Page: My default website title (replaced "-" for ":")

What is the easiest way to do this?

Greetings,

Pieter

Hello,

Ive been running this contribution for a while with out any problems. I installed the ultimate seo contribution 2 days a go as recommended. No i get the following errors when i run header tags AND store feeds..

"Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /home/leather/public_html/catalog/admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 254

Cannot change the mode of file (/home/leather/public_html/catalog/includes/languages/english/header_tags.php)"

The chmod setting are fine so, im not sure what the problem is..

Or maybe it has nothing to do with this contribution?

Any Ideas?

Thanks again,

Lee.

Hi,

I have succesfully added this contribution to my Oscommerce.

Only in the title bar on the index.php I get for example: Home Page - My default website title

But I think it's nicer to display it like: My default website title - Home Page, or actually Home Page: My default website title (replaced "-" for ":")

What is the easiest way to do this?

Greetings,

Pieter

It actually isn't in most cases. You want the title to be whatever the main keyword is for that page. Switching them will not do that. But you can change the code in includes/header_tags.php if you want to rearrange it (or to replace the -). You could also turn off the HTXX boxes for the index section in admin->Header Tags->Text Control and type in the title of the home page exactly as you want it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello,

Ive been running this contribution for a while with out any problems. I installed the ultimate seo contribution 2 days a go as recommended. No i get the following errors when i run header tags AND store feeds..

"Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: Operation not permitted in /home/leather/public_html/catalog/admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 254

Cannot change the mode of file (/home/leather/public_html/catalog/includes/languages/english/header_tags.php)"

The chmod setting are fine so, im not sure what the problem is..

Or maybe it has nothing to do with this contribution?

Any Ideas?

Thanks again,

Lee.

Installing Ultmate SEO should not cause such a change. But the error is there because the code in Header Tags sees the header tags files as not being writeable (permissions are not correct). So be sure that they are the same as those on your images directory. They may have gotten changed by mistake somehow.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

In reading that thread it sounds like the contribution was not installed correctly. You will need to do that before it will work for you.

I have to ask because I tried to reinstall this hack to no avail...

I have no other contributions that I know of... though there is an sts_templates directory in our includes directory which I can't decipher...

Would a fresh install of osC be a bad idea in this situation and then add on the contributions I need? We have only received one order, have only two customers but a boatload of content that we cannot scrap.

Any ideas?

I am not familiar with a product description page in admin so I don't understand the problem you are having. The contribution comes with a categories file. You should first try replacing yours with it to make sure the problem is in that file. If it works, then you should download the WinMerge program and compare the two files.

Jack

Sorry I meant the product_info page. I did use winmerge to compare and change the files but as bits of code had already been changed for other contributions I'm not 100% sure that I combined then correctly.

Just wondered which bit of code in the cat.php file it could be? I doubt the contribution version of cat.php will work as my other contributions will crash first.

Many Thanks

Becki

I have to ask because I tried to reinstall this hack to no avail...

I have no other contributions that I know of... though there is an sts_templates directory in our includes directory which I can't decipher...

Would a fresh install of osC be a bad idea in this situation and then add on the contributions I need? We have only received one order, have only two customers but a boatload of content that we cannot scrap.

Any ideas?

If you have not made any changes, then you can just use the files included in the contribution. You will still need to make the few changes in the Install_Catalog.txt file and upload the database changes, but that would be all. In any case, you shouldn't have to re-install oscommerce.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Sorry I meant the product_info page. I did use winmerge to compare and change the files but as bits of code had already been changed for other contributions I'm not 100% sure that I combined then correctly.

Just wondered which bit of code in the cat.php file it could be? I doubt the contribution version of cat.php will work as my other contributions will crash first.

Many Thanks

Becki

The product_info page is in the shop, not admin, so I'm still confused as to the problem. If by cat.php you mean categories.php, then you can replace that file with the included one to test Header Tags. You can't run with it since your other changes would be lost but it won't hurt to test with it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The product_info page is in the shop, not admin, so I'm still confused as to the problem. If by cat.php you mean categories.php, then you can replace that file with the included one to test Header Tags. You can't run with it since your other changes would be lost but it won't hurt to test with it.

Jack

Sorry yes i meant categories.php, I'll copy over the HTC one and see if it works.

Thanks

Becki

Jack

Hi, I used the categories.php file from the install folder of HTC but still I get a blank screen on product_info.php ? Have you got any ideas as to what might be the problem? I had STS 4.2 installed fine but then when i installed htc 2.5.9 on top this happened, the tags work in the index.php pages etc though, just this blank screen at product_info ?

Thanks

Becki

If you have not made any changes, then you can just use the files included in the contribution. You will still need to make the few changes in the Install_Catalog.txt file and upload the database changes, but that would be all. In any case, you shouldn't have to re-install oscommerce.

Jack, I appreciate all of the help and I will be a hero to get this working so please bear with me...

In the Admin section, I have finally made it so that the page titles "index" and "product_info" are in black. I added pertinent info to the Index section and checked the source and get this line of code:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

The next line is the title information and the base href crammed together.

Below that, I get nothing but this:

<!-- start get_javascript(applicationtop2header) //-->

<!-- end get_javascript(applicationtop2header) //-->

The next line is the link to the stylesheet and then the head is closed.

From the above, do you have ANY idea what is going on here?