• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

Jack,

I think my question got lost in the shuffle here. I started a question on page 69 and you asked me to add a few lines to my header_tags_english.php file as a test. Do you have any suggestions for my problem (Description and Keyword are not updated correctly from the Text Control page).

Thanks,

The top of the page shows the same thing before and after I update the description:

Desc Before = define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_ALL','osCommerce : What\\\'s New Here? - Hardware Software DVD Movies');

Desc After = define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_ALL','osCommerce : What\\\'s New Here? - Hardware Software DVD Movies');

The text field changes to show my updated version...however, when I leave the page and return, it has defaulted to the old title (What\\\'s New Here? - Hardware Software DVD Movies.

Does that help you?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for this contribution....

It took me most of day to sort out my own problems, but it seems to be working just fine...

pnkranger - I had a similar problem initially but try CHMODing catalog/includes/languages/english/header_tags.php to 755, and if that does not work try 777.

You could also try removing the bits that you do not want so that it is blank before the changes you want to make write to them...

Instead of this:

define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_DEFAULT','- osCommerce : What\'s New Here? - Hardware Software DVD Movies');

define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_DEFAULT','- Hardware Software DVD Movies What\'s New Here?');

try this:

define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_DEFAULT','');

define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_DEFAULT','');

Hmmm, replaced that with a clean version, and it's still doing the exact same thing. I will re-do the installation process, see if I can pin it down.

Mike

Ok, I went through the process again, placing files in directly from the contribution, re-adding the new database entries, and it's still the same. It's so odd. Key Words and Description go in just fine. But if I put anything at all in that "Title" field when I edit a product, it will just come up blank.

Any ideas? Thanks so much for your responses.

Mike

Also, I'm checking the database. It appears that it updates correctly.

the "products_head_title_tag" gets populated just fine, just as "products_head_desc_tag" and "products_head_keywords_tag" do.

I know very little about databases and such, but couldn't I conclude that it's writing to it fine, but just hanging up somewhere when trying to pull in that info?

Mike

Edited by maksum

Ok, I went through the process again, placing files in directly from the contribution, re-adding the new database entries, and it's still the same. It's so odd. Key Words and Description go in just fine. But if I put anything at all in that "Title" field when I edit a product, it will just come up blank.

Any ideas? Thanks so much for your responses.

Mike

Also, I'm checking the database. It appears that it updates correctly.

the "products_head_title_tag" gets populated just fine, just as "products_head_desc_tag" and "products_head_keywords_tag" do.

I know very little about databases and such, but couldn't I conclude that it's writing to it fine, but just hanging up somewhere when trying to pull in that info?

Mike

Ok, I have no idea how I did it, but I fixed it. I discovered that it was working locally, but not live, so I just moved up the entire "includes" folder. So somehow something wasn't right with one of the files on the live server. I wasn't satisfied merely because it was repaired however, so I looked through all the files and just couldn't see where the difference was.

Anyway, thanks for your help. If I discover which file it was, I'll post.

Thanks again and sorry.

Mike

Jack,

I think my question got lost in the shuffle here. I started a question on page 69 and you asked me to add a few lines to my header_tags_english.php file as a test. Do you have any suggestions for my problem (Description and Keyword are not updated correctly from the Text Control page).

Thanks,

Yes, I'm sorry, it dd get lost. Try making this change. Find

$main_desc = GetMainArgument($fp[$idx], $main_desc, $main['desc'], $formActive);

and replace it with

$main_desc = GetMainArgument($fp[$idx], $main_desc, 'Test Description', $formActive);

What happens now?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack

Open the header_tags_popup_help.php file and place the curso at the very end of the file. Then backspace (using the backspace key) until you get to the ?>. Save it and see if the problem is fixed.

Jack

Tried what you suggested, same results:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at d:\web_sites\xxxxxxx\xxxxxxx\admin\includes\languages\english\header_tags_popup_help.php:13) in d:\web_sites\xxxxxxx\xxxxxxx\admin\includes\functions\general.php on line 85

Just for a side note I belive define ('BOX_HEADER_TAGS_FILL_TAGS', 'Fill Tags'); is missing from admin/includes/languages/english.php in the catalog_for_new_shop_only folder

Jimmy

Edited by RI Downlink

I'm not a coder just a splicer.

Jack, I only 1 issue left since I am upgrading from 2.5.2 to 2.5.5. I have everything working good except for the catagorie tags. In catalog/includes/header_tags.php 2.5.2 the code referances "catagory" and in 2.5.5 it is "catagories".

if I use catalog/includes/header_tags.php 2.5.2 in place of catalog/includes/header_tags.php 2.5.5 my catagorie title tags work bbut with the 2.5.5 they do not show.

I hope I ave not missed somthing obvious.

Jimmy

I'm not a coder just a splicer.

Jack, I only 1 issue left since I am upgrading from 2.5.2 to 2.5.5. I have everything working good except for the catagorie tags. In catalog/includes/header_tags.php 2.5.2 the code referances "catagory" and in 2.5.5 it is "catagories".

if I use catalog/includes/header_tags.php 2.5.2 in place of catalog/includes/header_tags.php 2.5.5 my catagorie title tags work bbut with the 2.5.5 they do not show.

I hope I ave not missed somthing obvious.

Jimmy

The category field had to be moved to another table to fix a language problem. I renamed it to cateogories to make the change easier to see. The reason it works when you use the old includes/header_tags file is because the old one references the category filed, which is still in your database. If the new one doesn't work, then the new filed is not in the database or not setup. There is an update for the database that will add the categories fields. Be sure you ran that. Or, better yet, look at the database with phpmyadmin and make sure that they are there.

Jack

I installed this contribution about a month ago and it is real cool!

..but today I went back to edit some of my existing products and each time i click edit product in the admin panel for products it goes to new product as in: catalog/admin/categories.php?cPath=21&pID=51&action=new_product

I can't edit my products anymore

:unsure:

any clues?

thanks

It wouldn't have anything to do with Header Tags since it was working all of this time. I suggest you look at any changes you may have made since then.

Jack

Thank you all for the work that you have done!! :thumbsup:

Great contribution!

I followed your instruction, and it worked right away.

Thank you again!

H. Mourad

You can see my site here ( Please don't laugh, it still work in progress.)

I'm glad it worked for you. Thanks for taking the time to mention it.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

There is no easy upgrade path. See the earlier post regarding how to upgrade. Yours is a little older than the other persons so there will be more involved. The database changes are easily done since there are updates for those. All of your other header_tags files and some that are not will need to be edited or replaced.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

There is no easy upgrade path. See the earlier post regarding how to upgrade. Yours is a little older than the other persons so there will be more involved. The database changes are easily done since there are updates for those. All of your other header_tags files and some that are not will need to be edited or replaced.

Jack

How about a way to remove everything. (I don't think i have to do anything about the database right?) Maybe it's easier to remove it then do a new install? What do you think?

Yes, I'm sorry, it dd get lost. Try making this change. Find

$main_desc = GetMainArgument($fp[$idx], $main_desc, $main['desc'], $formActive);

and replace it with

$main_desc = GetMainArgument($fp[$idx], $main_desc, 'Test Description', $formActive);

What happens now?

Jack

Jack,

it reacts just the same as it did before. Nothing is posted to the header_tags.php file and the on-screen Description changes to "Test Description" only until you navigate away and then back to the Text Control page, where it returns to normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

nick

Edited by pnkranger

Jack,

it reacts just the same as it did before. Nothing is posted to the header_tags.php file and the on-screen Description changes to "Test Description" only until you navigate away and then back to the Text Control page, where it returns to normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

nick

Jack,

I figured it out. There was a problem with my includes/languages/header_tags.php file. There was a space between the Description and Keyword. And there was a blank line after the Keyword define. I'm not sure why this affected anything, but deleting the space and adding a commented line after keyword fixed the problem:

Original:

define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL','osCommerce');
define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_ALL','What\\\'s New Here? - Hardware Software DVD Movies');
define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_ALL','DVD Movies What\\\'s New Here?');

// DEFINE TAGS FOR INDIVIDUAL PAGES

Corrected version:

define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL','osCommerce');
define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_ALL','What\\\'s New Here? - Hardware Software DVD Movies');
define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_ALL','DVD Movies What\\\'s New Here?');
// END DEFAULT

How about a way to remove everything. (I don't think i have to do anything about the database right?) Maybe it's easier to remove it then do a new install? What do you think?
You have to update the database as I mentioned perviously. You can replace everything except you will still need to edit several files and any extra pages you may have added to includes/header_tags.php will be lost. But all of those changes would need to be made anyway so doing it that way may be the easiest. Just be sure to backup everything first.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello

I think i need a little help here pls.

I installed the new header cont with description build in and all looked fine. i installed it over the old header tag contribution, i tested it with a meta tool and i spotted two things that was wrong.

1, the old meta tags are coming up in the categories, the eg index.php and products.info is fine just not the catergories.

2, in the product info all works fine apart from a strange title, my title starts with eg: germ soap but when i look at the with the tool again its coming up with the title as: germ soap - - Wholesale Candy for Retail Customers,

I do not sell wholesale candy so why would this be coming up and its on all the products titles but not the main titles nor the categories.

Any Ideas pls

Kind regards

Both of those problems are probably caused by your includes/header_tags.php file. The old tags still load because that file is calling them from the database, where they still reside, even though youmay have created the new database fields. The candy reference was a mistake in the code and was removed quite some time ago. So you need to replace that file but you will need to add any new entries made to it for your pages. You may need to convert the code if it is using the previous format. You'll see what I mean when you look at it I think.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I installed the HeaderTags_V_2.5.5 the Catalog install was fine checked everything and looked good so then I went and did the admin install but now when I login to the admin of oscommerce all I get is a blank page nothing else. Let me know what you think. Thanks Jack

After you login you are on the index page. Header Tags doesn't change anything on that page so I can't image what was changed that caused your problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

i get an error :

Warning: chmod(): Operation not permitted in /home/mysite/public_html/admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 203

Cannot change the mode of file (../includes/languages/english/header_tags.php)

when i use the header_tags_english.php to update some tags

anyone any ideas ?