• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

Others have also suggested that. The only reason it has not been done is because there is no easier way to explain the process, at least as far as I can see. If you can come up with one, please feel free to submit it yourself or give it to me and I will do so.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've installed the latest version v2.4.6 Complete on MS2. Everything works well but I noticed in the admin when editing categories, there seems to be no multilanguage support for Header Tags Category Title, Header Tags Category Description, Header Tags Category Keywords. I looked over the relevant tables in the db and I can see where it might work. Is this something lacking or am I misundertanding the usage? Thank you.

David

PLease help, maybe I'm just an idiot but...

I have checked these and I have unchecked these, do not see any differences.

Can someone explain what these are and what they do?

Switches: HTTA: HTDA: HTKA: HTCA:

Thank you,

Moon

"Woohoo, Just Havin Funnn!"

PLease help, maybe I'm just an idiot but...

I have checked these and I have unchecked these, do not see any differences.

Can someone explain what these are and what they do?

Switches: HTTA:    HTDA:    HTKA:    HTCA:     

Thank you,

Moon

HTTA - means Header Tag Title All

HTKA - means Header Tag Keywords All

HTDA - means Header Tag Description All

Just thought I'd point out that there is an issue if you add assign a new page for meta tags - if you type pagename.php it fouls up big time. If you just type pagename its quite happy.

Also I think there is an error in the instructions, as it asks you to upload filenames.php instead of saying just add lines to it if you have a modified install.

Could someone let me know exactly what these two code changes do please.

They change the heading title in two different locations? Which locations are these?

Around line 78:

Find

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>

and replace it with 

<td><h1><?php echo $category['category_head_title_tag']; ?></h1></td>

=============================================
Around line 239:

Find

?>
   <td width="100%" valign="top"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
     <tr>
       <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
         <tr>
           <td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>

and replace it with 

$category_query = tep_db_query("select c.category_head_title_tag from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
   $category = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query); 
   ?>
   <td width="100%" valign="top"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
     <tr>
       <td><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
         <tr>
           <td><h1><?php echo $category['category_head_title_tag']; ?></h1></td>

I am considering reverting the category heading title back to a hardcoded version, and was wondering if it is as simple as changing back these two steps.

Thanks

Floob.

Those lines are in the index.php file. They change the displayed page header for the category or product being displayed. If you revert to the hard coded version, you will be losing some of the SEO benefits of the package, which is the reason for installing it in the first place.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Can you clarify which part they change please.

One must change the category heading - but what does the other do?

I'm happy with the title/keyword/description meta tags that I have changed. But is it required to place the title of the page in the category heading as well?

Would it not be sufficient to use the category name for the category heading?

I hope I've made what I mean clear.

Thanks

Allen.

There are three sections to the index.php file: the home page, the category section and the products section. That code affects the last two. On a properly setup page, the page header matches the page title. You can remove that if you want - it is not required. But if your prupose is to get better search engine postion, you should leave it in, IMO.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for your reply.

I think it looks fine for the product page to have the product name, as this is what would make most sense for the page title.

But for categories I find that having a longer, maybe not easy on the eye string of keywords may help search engines find that category, but it looks messy when the category heading reads this as well.

Could you tell me what I could do to change the category heading to read the category name? Do I change the first or second bit of code above?

Thanks for any pointers.

Regards,

Floob.

Just so you know, doing it that way may well get you banned. As far as changing it, there is no need to change the code. just go into admin->catalog and select edit for the category. Enter the page heading you want there. The page title is taken from includes/languages/english/header_tags.php so it can be set to whatever you want from there (or fromadmin->Header Tags if you that version installed).

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Just installed Header Tags Controller v2.3.2

In my admin section under catalog I get this error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected '}' in \oscommerce\admin\categories.php on line 742

All the other categories seems to be working fine.

Here is my categories.php line 742

<?php

} elseif ($action == 'new_product_preview') {

if (tep_not_null($HTTP_POST_VARS)) {

$pInfo = new objectInfo($HTTP_POST_VARS);

$products_name = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_name'];

$products_description = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_description'];

$products_head_title_tag = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_head_title_tag'];

$products_head_desc_tag = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_head_desc_tag'];

$products_head_keywords_tag =      $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_head_keywords_tag'];

$products_url = $HTTP_POST_VARS['products_url'];

} else {

$product_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, pd.language_id, pd.products_name, pd.products_description, pd.products_head_title_tag, pd.products_head_desc_tag, pd.products_head_keywords_tag, pd.products_url, p.products_quantity, p.products_model, p.products_image, p.products_price, p.products_weight, p.products_date_added, p.products_last_modified, p.products_date_available, p.products_status, p.manufacturers_id  from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_id = pd.products_id and p.products_id = '" . $HTTP_GET_VARS['pID'] . "'");

$product = tep_db_fetch_array($product_query);

$pInfo = new objectInfo($product);

$products_image_name = $pInfo->products_image;

}

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

I have been researching this problem and I see others have had it but no place do I see a solution can anyone help?

Rick

Edited by RGStephens

Hello everyone... I hope one of you can help me.

This was by far the most difficult module I have ever installed... and I hope it is the last. I have been working on this since Saturday. After numerous emails back and forth with Jack (nearly 50), I have finally been able to get rid of the many errors I had on the ADMIN side. Everything seemed to work well on the catalog side, but once I finished with the admin section, I had errors in my OSC control panel.

Now that I am done with these errors, I have another strange problem.

I wanted to make some changes to Adrenogen, a supplement for sale on our website. Before I made any changes, the product page looked like this. (Notice the nice heading at the top of the page with the name and price of the prodcut)

http://zimmerchiropractic.com/catalog/prod...&products_id=41

After I made some changes... although the product name is now listed in the upper left hand corner of the browser, you will notice that the nice heading of the product name nad price is gone. More importantly, when you View All Products, or anyone else in the store, the name of the prodcut is no longer listed in the list of products. Now the column for Product Name is blank. Click below to see what I am talking about.

http://zimmerchiropractic.com/catalog/prod...&products_id=42

To see another example of what I am talking about, click on the link in the categories box called Anxiety/Stress. You will notice that there are two products now listed in there with no product names.

Although I like the product being at the top of the browser, the product

name still needs to be listed at the top and in the product listing. When you click on View All Products, you will see another example of what I am talking about. The two items I changed now no longer have a prodcut name in the View All Products listing.

I hate to think I came this far (three days worth of work) only to have this not work now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kim Huff

MSN: [email protected]

AIM: ADMKimHuff

Yahoo: ADMKimHuff

Just so you know, doing it that way may well get you banned. As far as changing it, there is no need to change the code. just go into admin->catalog and select edit for the category. Enter the page heading you want there. The page title is taken from includes/languages/english/header_tags.php so it can be set to whatever you want from there (or fromadmin->Header Tags if you that version installed).

Jack

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand.

I want one string to be the page (meta) title, and another string to be the category heading on the page. As far as I can see when I change the page title, this is reflected onto the category heading on the page.

Thanks

Floob.

Hello everyone... I hope one of you can help me.

This was by far the most difficult module I have ever installed... and I hope it is the last. I have been working on this since Saturday. After numerous emails back and forth with Jack (nearly 50), I have finally been able to get rid of the many errors I had on the ADMIN side. Everything seemed to work well on the catalog side, but once I finished with the admin section, I had errors in my OSC control panel.

After I made some changes... although the product name is now listed in the upper left hand corner of the browser, you will notice that the nice heading of the product name nad price is gone. More importantly, when you View All Products, or anyone else in the store, the name of the prodcut is no longer listed in the list of products. Now the column for Product Name is blank. Click below to see what I am talking about.

Nearly 50? Oh, you mean on the first day. ;)

For the benefit of others that may run into the same problem, I think you may have not ran the fill tags files. On a new installation of header Tags, the category tags are empty so the page doesn't have anything to display.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand.

I want one string to be the page (meta) title, and another string to be the category heading on the page. As far as I can see when I change the page title, this is reflected onto the category heading on the page.

Thanks

Floob.

That's because they are set to the same thing. The title is set in english/header_tags.php. The decription is kept in the database. Initially, after running fill_tags, they are set to the same thing. You have to go in and change them if you want something else displayed.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

For the benefit of others that may run into the same problem, I think you may have not ran the fill tags files. On a new installation of header Tags, the category tags are empty so the page doesn't have anything to display.

Jack

I know.. it was terrible... sorry to be such a pain. I am looking at the fill tags now. TRUST me... I will hire you the next time. ;)

Kim

I would like to say THANK YOU to Jack for all his help since Saturday.

Your knowledge is amazing and your generosity very much appreciated.

You are the BEST,

Kim

Edited by kimhuff

Jack

Ok, I installed the fill tags and not only is it still not showing a product name above the description in the center of the page... but now many of the products have an added ? at the end of the product name.

Any suggestions?

www.zimmerchiropractic.com/catalog

Click on the View all Products and the first two items have no names which is why they are at the top of the list. The second one is Adrenogen...if you look a little further down the list.. you will see another Adrenogen that is somewhat correct. The only thing is now the fill tags has added a couple ?'s.

Thank you in advance,

Kim

Hello everybody, I can't find an answer to my problem on this thread, I was able to get HTC to work on my site, product tags were "populated" by the script however I can't make any modifications to the tags on the catalog admin, everytime I save the pre-populated values are inserted again. Could someone tell me how to fix this please!

Thx

Hello,

well its took me a long time to add this contribution and what i can see it looks great and a big thank you to all that help making it.

I have loaded it ok and i think that most thing are up and running and i have no errors showing, so far so good, but when i do a meta tag check the meta tags are all the same eg: on shipping, index and so on.

I must be doing something wrong but i do not know where to start, did i load the program wrong or do i have to change the settings ?

Many thanks again in advance

Header Tags only comes with a few pages set up since most of the other pages are unique to each persons site. So it fills in the meta tags for those pages from the default settings in english/header_tags.php. You need to add the code for the other pages and then edit that code so it matches the pages. This can most easily be done using the Header Tags tool in admin.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons