• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

The meta content tag is probably at fault. A few versions ago I released an update in which I moved that tag for SEO purposes. When I moved it, I made a mistake on the syntax and it was casuing problems like this. Download the latest version of HTC and make sure the tag in your file matches the current one. Note, if you have an earlier version, the tag is in all of your catalog files. In the later versions, it is in the english/header_tags.php file.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The meta content tag is probably at fault.  A few versions ago I released an update in which I moved that tag for SEO purposes.  When I moved it, I made a mistake on the syntax and it was casuing problems like this.  Download the latest version of HTC and make sure the tag in your file matches the current one.  Note, if you have an earlier version, the tag is in all of your catalog files.  In the later versions, it is in the english/header_tags.php file.

Jack

That was it!!! Changed the line in includes/header_tags.php and all is well..

This is from the 20 Oct 2004 update..

echo ' <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset="' . CHARSET . '">'."n";

to this

echo ' <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=' . CHARSET . '">'."n";

Thanks Jack for putting me on the right path..

Hi

I'm interested in trying htc. There are so many downloads on the page, and some of them say they are just added code. I have read through alot of this string, and it has been mentioned that older versions of it cause errors.

What is the latest full version? and does it work?

Paul

Regards

Paul

I seem to have a bit of a problem with this contribution after installing it. It seems that the manufacturers info is not longer available for editing through the admin interface.

I've started to have a look at the manufacturers.php but I'm a bit lost. Are you not supposed to be able to edit this description field? The data is still there on the shop front but not on the admin side.

Thanks

Okay - further investigation revels more problems.

the site is www.absoluteart.net.

at the end of some of the products meta description there is a 'Hardware Software DVD Movies What's New Here?' added - where is this coming from?

This contribution doesn't change the manufacturer box (I assume you mean in admin). It does change the code that also loads that box though so you may want to go over your installation and make sure a mistake wasn't made.

You are getting that extra text because the includes/languages/english/header_tags.php has it in there by default. You have to edit that file to make it fit your shop.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I installed the contrib with all the changes to categories.php (almost) without any problems - at least i am not getting error messages.

The problem though is that my titles in the product section don't do what the contrib is supposed to do - i just get the plain http://www.XXXXX.com/contact.php?osCsid....... in the Explorer bar :huh:

so uh i don't really know what the problem is. Before i installed this contrib i manually put in a page title in english.php which automatically was used for all pages. But of course it's supposed to dynamically change now <_< so anyone an idea?

The categories changes are in admin. The bowser title bar is displayed by the code in the catalog section of the shop. You need to finish installing the contribution.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

How does this contribuition fit in with the various search engine optimization contributions?

I'm putting together two stores over the next couple of weeks and I will be using this contrib (already have in one) but I also want to make sure that search engines will be able to spider everything in the stores also.

What is the best route to take? One will be a computer store and the other will be jewelry store.

Thanx, Dave.

Yea I am wondering this myself. I'm not exactly sure what the header control does - other than add a title to each page based on the pages category, product, index page etc... That in itself is great and should be a 'MUST GET' contrib for ANY osc setup. However I am also interested in optimizing my code for better SEO so that I can ensure that spiders are going to crawl my entire site, including the products. I'd like to put my target keywords in my product descriptions. Right now as it stands when someone clicks on a product , a short descriptoin of the product comes up but with almost none of the keywords I want to target. I'd like to put the keywords in there (in a sentence of course not just blatently) and have the spiders crawl it.

S

Another question:

Im halfway through this admin edit and cant seem to find this...

<?php
   for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($languages); $i<$n; $i++) {
?>
         <tr>
           <td class="main" valign="top"><?php if ($i == 0) echo TEXT_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION; ?></td>
           <td><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
             <tr>
               <td class="main" valign="top"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']); ?> </td>
               <td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('products_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'soft', '70', '15', (($products_description[$languages[$i]['id']]) ? stripslashes($products_description[$languages[$i]['id']]) : tep_get_products_description($pInfo->products_id, $languages[$i]['id']))); ?></td>
             </tr>
           </table></td>
         </tr>
<?php
   }
?>
         <tr>
           <td colspan="2"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '1', '10'); ?></td>
         </tr>

any suggestions? I've found SOMETHING like it, er but it's definetely not it.

I installed this, and Now i get an error when trying to access the site..

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare clean_html_comments() (previously declared in /home/aliandad/public_html/includes/functions/clean_html_comments.php:13) in /home/aliandad/public_html/includes/functions/clean_html_comments.php on line 13

Thanks

Robert

I've checked every contrib I ever installed and document all the changes to admin/catagories.php

I made no changes that would affect this...

I then unzipped a new copy of osc 2.2 and looked inside that admin/catagories.php file..

AND COULDNT FIND IT THERE EITHER?!?!?!

So - Now, Nuts and Bolts Nuts and Bolts - I'm screwed.

Any suggestions? This contrib is driving me batty. FYI I downloaded the latest COMPLETE package near the top. I also checked the other version instructions and the same lines of code are listed in there. Unless this is a reverberating error that people resolved on their own but didnt post the bug fix..it has to be something on my end I am missing. But like I said I checked a fresh copy and it didnt have it either.

S

Edited by Sincraft

Two Things:

OK sorry for slamming the forums here, but I have also noticed something rather alarming:

-My website has slowed down about 500% since adding this contrib!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Also

When I view the source for my index (first) page, there are two description tags, and two keyword tags...and a whole lota useless robot info that search engines ignore now adays. I'm pretty sure how to get rid of the robot tags, but how do I get rid of the duplicate stuff?

S

Ok I GIVE! :)

Im not sure about the rest of you, but this thing has me completely stumped. ABOVE all the other issues, the control of the actual tags is lack luster at best. It's actually counterintuitive to create constructive tags at the top of the website with keywords that pertain to your webpage AND make sense together.

I'd like help just removing this if possible. I can take care of all the file changes made, but I'd like to know how to remove this from my database.

S

Rob -

Some installations have this problem for some reason. You need to remove one of the instances of where that function is called. Try changing the code in catalog/includes/application_top.php from

// BOF: WebMakers.com Added: Header Tags Controller v1.0
 require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'header_tags.php');
// Clean out HTML comments from ALT tags etc.
 require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');

to

// BOF: WebMakers.com Added: Header Tags Controller v1.0
 require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'header_tags.php');
// Clean out HTML comments from ALT tags etc.
// require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');

Ian - If you have the latest version of HTC, the autoinstall directory is included in the contribution. To use it though, you have to unarchive the contents to somewhere on your hard drive. You also have to download the sed editor since it is not allowed to be included in the contribution per contribution rules.

Scott - I'm not sure where you stand on this but I think you may be getting overwhelmed by the amount of changes. I suggest you back out any code changes and then just install the catalog part of the contribution. It is the easiest to do. Once that is working, then go on to the admin section. Once the admin section is finished, you can go into your admin panel and edit the meta tags for each of your products. Since you are seeing two sets of tags on your pages, there has been a mistake made on the installation.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

any chance that this contrib might slow down a site? Of course not under normal circumstance, otherwise this would have been reported here, but perhaps in combination with other contribs?

I have the latest Osc version, with sts_templates, Article Manager, Dynamic Mopics3.0, Purchase Without Account.

Any known issues in regard to speed/compatability?

Thanks!

Scott mentioning it above was the first I've ever heard of a site slowing down. HTC is used by many people so I would think the subject would have been raised before. I have used with the contributions you mention except for Article Manager. But I think it more likely a mistake was made in the installation. The only way I can think of to tell is to back it out and see what happens. HTC can be installed in sections (catalog and admin) so that might help in finding the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Scott mentioning it above was the first I've ever heard of a site slowing down.  HTC is used by many people so I would think the subject would have been raised before.  I have used with the contributions you mention except for Article Manager. But I think it more likely a mistake was made in the installation. The only way I can think of to tell is to back it out and see what happens.  HTC can be installed in sections (catalog and admin) so that might help in finding the problem.

Jack

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm just checking, something's happening with the site, and I'm in the process of trying to get to the ground of it.

Otherwise HTC as well as the other contribs all work perfectly.

I did what you said, Jack and it cleared up that issue, however... now it says

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_get_header_tag_products_title() (previously declared in /home/aliandad/public_html/includes/functions/header_tags.php:8) in /home/aliandad/public_html/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 8

Line 7? ?  // TABLES: products_description
Line 8? ?  function tep_get_header_tag_products_title($product_id) {
Line 9? ?  global $languages_id, $HTTP_GET_VARS;

My source for the lines there is...

Thanks for the help

Robert

Edit-

Uh when i go in admin control panel now and i click on catalog i get this error, could this be the main reason?

Parse error: parse error, unexpected ',' in /home/aliandad/public_html/control/categories.php on line 259

The code for those lines is...

Line 259                                         'products_url' => tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_url'][$language_id])),

:( I must of done something really wrong

Edited by Panic36

That function is declared twice for some reason. Be sure you have copied the correct header_tags.php files to the correct folders. For example, if you copied the header_tags.php file that goes into functions into the english directory by mistake, you will see this kind of error. Other than that, I can't help much. You just need to find the duplicate entry. If have a copy of your files on your computer, just do a search for that function and it should take you right to it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

After looking at

'products_url' => tep_db_prepare_input($HTTP_POST_VARS['products_url'][$language_id])),

It looks like theres a duplicate ), or no? I'm not sure if that one is suppose 2 have two, all the others just have one, but when i remove it, it then redirects me to an error on that same page at 412.

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_IF in /home/aliandad/public_html/control/categories.php on line 412

Line 412 if (isset ($HTTP_GET_VARS['pID']) && (!$HTTP_POST_VARS) ) {

Edited by Panic36

I don't see a question there so I'm not sure what you are asking. But the error you are getting is referring to actual code in your files. You have to remove one.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons