osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Temporarily? Would you suggest I wait to install the header tag contribution? are there more corrections to come shortly or will this update work well for me?

Oh what i meant by temporarily, is that I took out the code, to get my header tags controller to work. I've tested this on a fresh osC 2.2 MS2 and it seems to work for me, but you can try it at your own risk.

It sounds like this contribution is very buggy still? Are there any other options/contributions to be able to get meta tag information and title descriptions set up in osc? I had thought that most everyone had this one installed, but it sounds like there are many problems still?

It sounds like this contribution is very buggy still?  Are there any other options/contributions to be able to get meta tag information and title descriptions set up in osc?  I had thought that most everyone had this one installed, but it sounds like there are many problems still?

I'm using it in two shops and it is highly recommended, and used, by many in the forums. It is even mentioned as the solution in the wiki docs. What problems are you having that makes you think there is a problem (just curious)?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I was just going on what I had read in forums. On one hand it was highly recommended and on the other hand, it seemed like a lot of people had problems and so I was a bit concerned.

But I took the plunge tonight and although it took me 3 hours (going very slow and carefully) it is installed and seems to be working just excellently!

Thank you very much for your support and helpful words.

There was just one thing that I wasnt sure of (if I have perhaps not installed correctly) does this header tags contrib allow meta tags for categories ? or do I need to use the category meta tags contrib for that?

There was just one thing that I wasnt sure of (if I have perhaps not installed correctly)  does this header tags contrib allow meta tags for categories ? or do I need to use the category meta tags contrib for that?

I'm not familar with the other contribution but, AFAIK, for HTC the answer is no. The tags for categories are shared with the index (home) page. The title tag can be unigue but the meta tags will be the same for the two.

As a side note, if you use the DEFAULT_TITLE_TAG option, all of the title tags in that file are backwards, IMO, for SEO reasons. For example, it has

$the_title= HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL . ' ' . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_SPECIALS;

which places the unique title name you have for specials after the default title. From SE's viewpoint, this may not appear as a unique title. Plus, for the user, it is hard to see the difference from page to page. The above order should be reversed to allow for a more unique name. For example, with the default implementation you would get something like

MyGreatSite.com - About Us

when it should be

About Us - MyGreatSite.com

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, I definitely agree. The way you suggested is the way I always had it when my page was static. I suppose there is no easy way to change that now though, is there?

I guess I will install the category meta tag controller as well so I can get unique descriptions for the category pages - I had thought the header tags allowed different tags for each page....

Thanks again for your help and thoughts.

I've run into a problem. I have already installed the dynamic products meta tag contribution. Now I have installed the Header Tag contribution. Both tags are showing on product pages and it is taking the header tag contribution meta tags.

I have made this adjustment to /catalog/includes/languages/english/header_tags.php I first set the switch to 0 and when this didnt work - I commented the whole section out, but I am still getting both meta tags listed in my source code.

// product_info.php - if left blank in products_description table these values will be used

// removed this product section as it duplicated the dynamic meta tags contribution

//define('HTTA_PRODUCT_INFO_ON','0');

//define('HTKA_PRODUCT_INFO_ON','0');

//define('HTDA_PRODUCT_INFO_ON','0');

//define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_PRODUCT_INFO','');

//define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_PRODUCT_INFO','');

//define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_PRODUCT_INFO','');

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong? I dont need the header tag contribution for the product pages, it is actually hurting the optimization....

I installed Header Tags Controller v2.2 and for some reason it is not working. In admin for the products the fields show up but when I try to view my website it is a blank page. Viewing source only shows

<!-- Page layout by Simple Template System (STS) - http://www.diamondsea.com/sts/ -->

I thought STS integrated HTC automagically but it seems there is an issue with me or STS. My website works fine now only because I removed /includes/header_tags.php so it reverts back to normal titles. Anyway if anybody could help that would be great.

Anyone came across this after installing HTC version 2.2

When review button pressed on any product info page, I get:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_db_connect() (previously declared in /home/jeff1/public_html/includes/functions/database.php:13) in /home/jeff1/public_html/includes/functions/database.php on line 13

I have read on previous posts a simular fault but with a different .php script.

Did anyone fix the redeclair error, if so how???

Many Thanks

Jeff

http://www.lala.co.uk/

I sort of fixed the problem (enough that it now seems to work) by commenting out the application_top part in the instructions. I decided to do this because Mozilla complained that the header_tags.php and clean_html_comments.php were being declared twice. Anyway it seems to work properly now but has anybody else had the problem mentioned above with STS. This hack doesn't seem like a fix but it does work. Here is the code section of application_top (if you were confused about my explanation):

// BOF: WebMakers.com Added: Header Tags Controller v1.0
//  require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'header_tags.php');
// Clean out HTML comments from ALT tags etc.
//  require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');

Later

I sort of fixed the problem (enough that it now seems to work) by commenting out the application_top part in the instructions.  I decided to do this because Mozilla complained that the header_tags.php and clean_html_comments.php were being declared twice.  Anyway it seems to work properly now but has anybody else had the problem mentioned above with STS.  This hack doesn't seem like a fix but it does work.  Here is the code section of application_top (if you were confused about my explanation):

// BOF: WebMakers.com Added: Header Tags Controller v1.0
// ?require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'header_tags.php');
// Clean out HTML comments from ALT tags etc.
// ?require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');

If you use STS, you do not need those since they are already included in the sts_display_output.php file. So you are correct in commenting them out.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Was that in the STS documentation? I don't remember seeing not to put it only that you don't have to modify the /catalog directory files. Well it's a good thing I test everything with Mozilla also or else I would have been pounding my head against the monitor for a while. And if it helped you also Jeff then my pain was not all a waste. Also Jack since you know STS I am having a problem with the information at the top the page not being added. I noticed this because the click to enlarge was not working. In view source the proper javascript was not being added to the top of the generated pages. I got around this by adding it manually and it works now. Have you ever heard of this or seen a fix? Later

Was that in the STS documentation?? I don't remember seeing not to put it only that you don't have to modify the /catalog directory files.? Well it's a good thing I test everything with Mozilla also or else I would have been pounding my head against the monitor for a while.? And if it helped you also Jeff then my pain was not all a waste.? Also Jack since you know STS I am having a problem with the information at the top the page not being added.? I noticed this because the click to enlarge was not working.? In view source the proper javascript was not being added to the top of the generated pages.? I got around this by adding it manually and it works now.? Have you ever heard of this or seen a fix?? Later

That is because you didnt had the $headcontent variable in your sts_template.html page header tags. Should look like this <head>$headcontent</head> :)

Here is more info:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...=58541&st=630

Edited by Bruin_03