• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

Can someone tell me what EXACTLY this contribution does? I seriously can't find an answer to that in this thread. I'm looking for a contribution that will automatically...

1. Fill the <title></title> element with the Product Description.

2. Create a <meta name="description"> element with the Product Description.

3. Create a <meta name="keywords"> element with the Product Description.

From what I've read about this contribution, it looks like I have to manually enter the meta description and keywords for EVERY product via the Admin Control. I have about 3,000 products so manually editing each one is not an option.

Secondly, why would someone use this contribution instead of Meta Tags On The Fly or META Tags by Tabsl or quick meta tag or any of the MANY other meta tag contributions?

-Dorian

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone tell me what EXACTLY this contribution does? I seriously can't find an answer to that in this thread. I'm looking for a contribution that will automatically...

This contribution started out as a meta tags contribution, as the others still are, but as progresed well beyond that. It adds features to your code that will help optimize it far beyond simple title and meta tags changes. But at its core, it will load your titles and meta tags from preset fileds.

1. Fill the <title></title> element with the Product Description.

2. Create a <meta name="description"> element with the Product Description.

3. Create a <meta name="keywords"> element with the Product Description.

Setting the title and keywords tag to the product description is the wrong way to optimize a page, assuming the product description is setup correctly. This contribution won't do that, unless you want to do it manually, since it will hurt your site as far as SEO is concerned.

From what I've read about this contribution, it looks like I have to manually enter the meta description and keywords for EVERY product via the Admin Control. I have about 3,000 products so manually editing each one is not an option.

That is incorrect. The titles and meta tags are setup when it is first installed and new ones are updated automatically as products are added. The option to fill the titles and tags in admin takes a few clicks and only seconds to do, regardless of the number or products, and doesn't need to be done again.

Secondly, why would someone use this contribution instead of Meta Tags On The Fly or META Tags by Tabsl or quick meta tag or any of the MANY other meta tag contributions?

If you just want to add title and meta tags to your pages, those will work. Since the keywords tag is all but ignorned nowadays, especially by google, those contributions are not very useful. But even if they were, the keywords created by cDynamic, for example, are usually incorrect and not formatted correctly. I suspect the others to the same but I haven't tested them all.

The bottom line is that if your aim is to add title and keywords to your pages, use any of them since the results will be about the same. If your aim is to optiize your site so that it does better in the search engine listings, then this is the only contribution that will do that.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I have had Header Tags installed on my skateboard shop for a while now and everything has been working fine.

I've just noticed that my product_info.php page no longer displays the unique title tag I have given each product.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this could be?

Thanks for any help.

I have had Header Tags installed on my skateboard shop for a while now and everything has been working fine.

I've just noticed that my product_info.php page no longer displays the unique title tag I have given each product.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this could be?

Thanks for any help.

Look in the products edit page in admin. If the header tags title is still there, then look in Text Control to make if the HTTA box for products is set (try unchecking it). The last thing would be that the code in the products_info.php file somehow changed.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Look in the products edit page in admin. If the header tags title is still there, then look in Text Control to make if the HTTA box for products is set (try unchecking it). The last thing would be that the code in the products_info.php file somehow changed.

Jack

Thanks for the help Jack,

in the products edit page my title tags are still there, the HTTA box is unchecked for products_info.php in the Text Control section and as far as I can tell the code in the products_info.php page is still the same, see below.

<?php
// BOF: Header Tag Controller v2.6.3
if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {
 require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');
} else {
?> 
 <title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>
<?php
}
// EOF: Header Tag Controller v2.6.3
?>

Any other ideas?

Thanks

You could try enabling the HTTA box and entering something into the product title box in text control. If that doesn't show up, try replacing the includes/header_tags.php and english/header_tags.php files with those from the contribution package (make backups of yours so they can be restored).

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You could try enabling the HTTA box and entering something into the product title box in text control. If that doesn't show up, try replacing the includes/header_tags.php and english/header_tags.php files with those from the contribution package (make backups of yours so they can be restored).

Jack

Ok I replaced the two files mentioned, after backing up, and all seems to be working ok now.

Thank you so much for your help. Not too sure how long it's been like that but it appears google has indexed the majority of my pages with the same title tag, where as before it was indexed with individual product title tags.

Thanks again for yoyr prompt help.

Hi, have just installed the HTC, and the first signs says it works properly, but it doesn't show up in the Configuration meny, and I don't find the "3 boxes" it's said here should be shown in the product add page. Also, when adding a new manufacturer, I get this message at the top of page when clicking on a new or old manufacturer:

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) $db_query = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_htc_title_tag as htc_title, manufacturers_htc_description as htc_description from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS_INFO . " where languages_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' and manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'"); else $db_query = tep_db_query("select categories_htc_title_tag as htc_title, categories_htc_description as htc_description from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " where categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'"); $htc = tep_db_fetch_array($db_query); ?>

Maybe someone knows this, or have already answered it, but I'm kind of new and stupid in this matter... The catalog files were installed/updated manually, and since I had made no changes in admin, I replaced with the new files in admin.

Thank you.

The error means there was a mistake made on the manufacturers edits. Try replacing your file with the included one to make sure it works. Then you can compare the files to find the error, if you need to.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The error means there was a mistake made on the manufacturers edits. Try replacing your file with the included one to make sure it works. Then you can compare the files to find the error, if you need to.

Jack

Hi again,

I have reinstalled everything, now I just replaced all files since it's a clean shop but get this:

"Warning: chmod(): Operation not permitted in /hsphere/local/home/lollowin/feeltheeast.com/vietnam-art/catalog/admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 254 Cannot change the mode of file (/hsphere/local/home/lollowin/feeltheeast.com/vietnam-art/catalog/includes/languages/english/header_tags.php)"

when trying to update HTC, after changing the file permissions. What does this mean, and what do I do wrong?

Lollo

Hi again,

I have reinstalled everything, now I just replaced all files since it's a clean shop but get this:

"Warning: chmod(): Operation not permitted in /hsphere/local/home/lollowin/feeltheeast.com/vietnam-art/catalog/admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 254 Cannot change the mode of file (/hsphere/local/home/lollowin/feeltheeast.com/vietnam-art/catalog/includes/languages/english/header_tags.php)"

when trying to update HTC, after changing the file permissions. What does this mean, and what do I do wrong?

Lollo

Lollo,

Since you have STS installed, you need to follow a different installation procedure.

:thumbsup: I have created a simple step by step guide that will make the process easier to understand (see the link in my signature below).

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi, I installed this contribution a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with it. I have now used my previous shop as the basis for a new one, in which I would like to be able to include the tags fields in the product search. Any chance you could help me out as to how to do this?

Thanks

Ian

Hi, I installed this contribution a couple of years ago and have been very pleased with it. I have now used my previous shop as the basis for a new one, in which I would like to be able to include the tags fields in the product search. Any chance you could help me out as to how to do this?

Thanks

Ian

I'm not sure what you mean by the "tags fields." But the title and meta keywords and at least some of the meta description should already be on the page in the category or product description, for a properly optimized page, so they would already be searched.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi, I am looking for a little help. I installed HTC and I thought all was well, but when I finished I got an error message

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_get_header_tag_products_title() (previously declared in /home/ganydire/public_html/includes/functions/header_tags.php:7) in /home/ganydire/public_html/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 7

I checked the permissions and rechecked the files added and modified and I can't figure this out. Here's what my Header_Tag.php file looks like:

<?php

// /catalog/includes/functions/header_tags.php

////

// Get products_head_title_tag

// TABLES: products_description

function tep_get_header_tag_products_title($product_id) {

global $languages_id, $HTTP_GET_VARS;

$product_header_tags = tep_db_query("select products_head_title_tag from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " where language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' and products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "'");

$product_header_tags_values = tep_db_fetch_array($product_header_tags);

return clean_html_comments($product_header_tags_values['products_head_title_tag']);

}

FYI, I don't have STS on this site so there should not be a duplicate command issue.

If I remember correctly this file doesn't get modified at all so any help I can get would be appreciated. I am at a real loss.

Jada

The codes of the many, outweigh the codes of the few. Live long and Prosper.

But the title and meta keywords and at least some of the meta description should already be on the page in the category or product description, for a properly optimized page, so they would already be searched.

They are on the page but the OsC search doesn't appear to include them, does it not search across the database rather than generated pages?

Hi, I am looking for a little help. I installed HTC and I thought all was well, but when I finished I got an error message

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_get_header_tag_products_title() (previously declared in /home/ganydire/public_html/includes/functions/header_tags.php:7) in /home/ganydire/public_html/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 7

I checked the permissions and rechecked the files added and modified and I can't figure this out. Here's what my Header_Tag.php file looks like:

FYI, I don't have STS on this site so there should not be a duplicate command issue.

If I remember correctly this file doesn't get modified at all so any help I can get would be appreciated. I am at a real loss.

Something else in your code is causing it to load twice. Try changing these lines in includes/application_top.php
	require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');
require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'header_tags.php');

to these

require_once(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');
require_once(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'header_tags.php');

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

They are on the page but the OsC search doesn't appear to include them, does it not search across the database rather than generated pages?
No, the search function is limited in the standard code. There is a contribution you can install that will casue the search to include the descriptions (sorry, don't recall the name).

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Something else in your code is causing it to load twice. Try changing these lines in includes/application_top.php
	require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');
require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'header_tags.php');

to these

require_once(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'clean_html_comments.php');
require_once(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'header_tags.php');

Jack

Thank you for the suggestion Jack. That did not do it. Any ideas how I can go through and check where the duplicate loading might be coming from?

Jada

No, there's no simple way to do that, at least that I know of. You have to try to trace down what pages are causing it, see what files that page loads and go from there.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Is there any way to hard code the meta tags for my homepage without effecting index.php?cpath pages? If so how? :)

I installed this contribution awhile ago and its seams to be working OK. With a lot of experimenting I have got all my product pages’ and category pages’ meta tags as I would like to them to be, but I can't get the homepage meta tags as I would like.

Thanks, David

OK I got the previous issue figured out. I had the wrong script in my catalog/index file. Duh!, I got it fixed and now the index file is fine but I am getting this:

Warning: main(includes/boxes/header_tags.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/index/includes/column_left.php on line 58

error message in the product page. While I am looking for a solution is this something anyone has come across before?

Thanks gentlemen!

Jada

Is there any way to hard code the meta tags for my homepage without effecting index.php?cpath pages? If so how? :)

I installed this contribution awhile ago and its seams to be working OK. With a lot of experimenting I have got all my product pages’ and category pages’ meta tags as I would like to them to be, but I can't get the homepage meta tags as I would like.

Thanks, David

The home page gets it title and meta tags data from the includes/languages/english/header_tags.php file (the index section). You can edit that directly or use the admin tool.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

OK I got the previous issue figured out. I had the wrong script in my catalog/index file. Duh!, I got it fixed and now the index file is fine but I am getting this:

Warning: main(includes/boxes/header_tags.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/index/includes/column_left.php on line 58

error message in the product page. While I am looking for a solution is this something anyone has come across before?

Thanks gentlemen!

It means the includes/boxes/header_tags.php file cannot be found. Double check to make sure you uploaded it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It means the includes/boxes/header_tags.php file cannot be found. Double check to make sure you uploaded it.

Jack

i checked and the file is there, Idon't get the error on the main page or any other pageexcept the actual product detail page. could it be a script in the product_info.php file. thats where i made this modification:

FIND:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

REPLACE with:

<?php

// BOF: Header Tag Controller v2.6.3

if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php') ) {

require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'header_tags.php');

} else {

?>

<?php

}

// EOF: Header Tag Controller v2.6.3

?>

Jada

It only fails on the product page because that is the only place that file is used. It is the code you added to the column_left.php file.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons