• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is there a complete tutorial?

I used osCommerce several years ago and it was very intuitive to set up. Now that I need an e-commerce solution again, I found the new version looking fantastic. Unfortunately, the intuitive part is gone.

The install took me a very long time to complete because the prerequisite check doesn't check for all the PHP libraries required. The CMS didn't function properly until I installed all PHP 8 libraries & I'm still unsure which additional ones it needed.

Now I'm stuck at the very beginning. The tutorials for setting it up are missing a whole lot of information. I assumed that I should start with editing the home page and creating sales channels (categories). Unfortunately, nothing I do appears to have any effect on the home page.

After failing to create my own category, I tried to edit a couple of the demo categories to no effect. I tried to shut off some demo categories to no effect and they still appear.

Is there any complete tutorial available? I'm a well seasoned programmer & Sysadmin with decades of experience. I'm hoping not to change to a different platform. Please advise. Kind Regards

Give it a bit more time.  From the list of who is online I see that several of my favorite "answer" people have probably not been online to see your post.  Like you, I am back after years absence and finding the new code looks familiar but it not responding as I expect.  I am hoping this Forum is still the best place for answers!

At least 90% of my programming problems lie somewhere between my keyboard and my chair.