• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Multiple Domains for One Sales Channel?

blaine109

I have been able to get the multiple domains working and assigning them to an individual sales channel but what about if I need to have 2 domains for the same sales channel?

This would be for something like a common misspelling of a domain name and I have both registered and want to point to the same sales channel.

8 hours ago, blaine109 said:

I have been able to get the multiple domains working and assigning them to an individual sales channel but what about if I need to have 2 domains for the same sales channel?

This would be for something like a common misspelling of a domain name and I have both registered and want to point to the same sales channel.

Try this feature in Admin -> Sales channels -> Edit

image.png.418b6f75c0c3ed1d16c9cbde4b84037a.png

So, the domain url that I have is set for the b2b Supermarket and loads correctly to that channel/theme.

When I put the alternate domain in for that same sales channel, it only loads to the main shop domain with just the splash page theme.

Example:

Main URL: mydomain.com (loads correctly to splash page)

b2b Channel URL: myotherdomain.com (loads correctly to b2b channel)

b2b Alternative URL: myotherdomane.com (loads incorrectly to Splash Page theme but url in browser is correct as myotherdomane.com)

Hi Blaine,

Thanks for the reply.  I've had a go at setting up as you described and I'm not sure if the "alternate" urls are functioning correctly at the moment as I'm unable to make that work either!

I was able to work around by creating a separate sales channels for each different top domain name, which also allows the theme to be set on each channel.
If you do this, you will also need to assign the categories and products etc to both of the separate sales channels which you want to share across.  Not ideal, but it works. 
You do this either by using the toggle icons on the "assign" tab for the products, ot export and import the data if you have a lot of products.

I think the alternate URLs would be a better solution, and I'm sure that this was working before, however I didn't try it with different top domain names.

Edited by CHD-UK

• 2 months later...

You might want to make sure the whole misspelt url thing wont adversely effect your search engine ranking of your main url.

I personally would do it with some other sort of domain redirect, and use robots.txt to stop search engines from storing your misspelt url.

If you have two (or more) domain names leading to the exactly the same site, search engines are likely to treat them as being duplicate sites, and they will choose which one to show, but its kind of self defeating if your misspelt URL ends up coming up better in search engines than your main URL. 

Far better off to use a redirect, so if someone miss types the URL, they get redirected to the correct URL.