• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Question on In US State Sales Tax

Ken_Shea

Any one know if the tools/settings are in place within V4 to allow for different sales tax rates based upon State and address. I do so little in state sales where tax is required that it is not a big issue but would like to make the taxes charged accurate.

Don't want to spend a lot of time searching and not knowing if it can be done at all at the present time.

Thank you

Ken

On 4/19/2023 at 5:10 PM, Ken_Shea said:

Any one know if the tools/settings are in place within V4 to allow for different sales tax rates based upon State and address. I do so little in state sales where tax is required that it is not a big issue but would like to make the taxes charged accurate.

Don't want to spend a lot of time searching and not knowing if it can be done at all at the present time.

By default, taxes charged only for sales channel country/state.

But if you turn on Calculate different tax by country option, you will be available to set taxes for different countries and states.

SettingsDiffTaxByCountry.thumb.png.c5904e2d1e584ea80a43f30e7a317c5f.png

Thank you Andrei for the reply,

Unfortiounatly, the "Calculate different tax by country"  is for unknown reasons missing from my  latest V4 , it's just not there. 

It's not a big problem, just not how I am to collect taxes.

It needs to be by "County and state" thats how the rate is determined.

Maybe the next V update it will show, could the "County" be used in the place of "Country do you think" ?

image.thumb.png.9c149f93af8791654227ec59b7213eaf.png

You are welcome, Ken!

On 4/23/2023 at 2:35 AM, Ken_Shea said:

Unfortiounatly, the "Calculate different tax by country"  is for unknown reasons missing from my  latest V4 , it's just not there. 

It seems, you pressed Trash and delete it. I don't think it is need for you, but you can restore it by running this sql:

insert into `configuration` (`configuration_id`, `configuration_title`, `configuration_key`, `configuration_value`, `configuration_description`, `configuration_group_id`, `sort_order`, `last_modified`, `date_added`, `use_function`, `set_function`) values('4696','Calculate different tax by country (EU - IOSS)','ALLOW_SEVERAL_TAX_COUNTRIES','False','Allow calculate different tax by country and total (UK IOSS, EU orders below 150gbp are taxableand and have country specific rates)','BOX_CONFIGURATION_MYSTORE','100','2023-04-14 16:12:18','2021-07-16 14:55:25',NULL,"tep_cfg_select_option(array('True', 'False'),");

On 4/23/2023 at 2:35 AM, Ken_Shea said:

t needs to be by "County and state" thats how the rate is determined.

Maybe the next V update it will show, could the "County" be used in the place of "Country do you think" ?

The tax is calculated exactly like this.

1 hour ago, pandrei said:

You are welcome, Ken!

It seems, you pressed Trash and delete it. I don't think it is need for you, but you can restore it by running this sql:

insert into `configuration` (`configuration_id`, `configuration_title`, `configuration_key`, `configuration_value`, `configuration_description`, `configuration_group_id`, `sort_order`, `last_modified`, `date_added`, `use_function`, `set_function`) values('4696','Calculate different tax by country (EU - IOSS)','ALLOW_SEVERAL_TAX_COUNTRIES','False','Allow calculate different tax by country and total (UK IOSS, EU orders below 150gbp are taxableand and have country specific rates)','BOX_CONFIGURATION_MYSTORE','100','2023-04-14 16:12:18','2021-07-16 14:55:25',NULL,"tep_cfg_select_option(array('True', 'False'),");

The tax is calculated exactly like this.

Well I've certainly pressed a lot of buttons lol, probably will run that just to put it back to default.

I think you are reading "County" as "Country" ;)

Thank you for the reply and fix.

3 minutes ago, Ken_Shea said:

I think you are reading "County" as "Country" ;)

I could read it like that, but not this time 😉

Really, the tax calculation depends on County/State if it is set for tax zones and for sales channel. As far as I know, it is calculated fine for your shop. Or not?

Yes, my site is calculating Ohio tax perfectly now..

But the same 7.25% tax is charged for every one of the 88 counties in Ohio, it can range from 5% to 8% of gross sale..

I do very little instate sales so I just fudge it, however it would not be acceptable if they ever checked or ever read this message LOL

Thank you for all your input and help

Ken

Edited by Ken_Shea

You are welcome, Ken!

5 minutes ago, Ken_Shea said:

But the same 7.25% tax is charged for every one of the 88 counties in Ohio, it can range from 5% to 8% of gross sale..

I do very little instate sales so I just fudge it, however it would not be acceptable if they ever checked or ever read this message LOL

I see. As far as I know, this difference in taxes by county starts with a certain amount of sales per month, doesn't it?

The possible solution here is using third-party companies for tax calculation (TaxJar for example). We are considering that possibility.

It's on every product sale including shipping, if it's a $1 sale and the only sale  I am still responsible to collect, report and pay that Ohio county's tax.

The only reason I get by not being required to collect sale tax for all 3142 counties in the US is because my sales are under  $100,000 usd a year to any given state..

Since every order is paid online  it would have to be calculated live.

I guess it could be linked to a 3r party service as is PayPal but then that's another fee.

Right now tax is all collected, reported and paid but as if my county.

Edited by Ken_Shea

So V4 only supports one fixed tax rate per COUNTRY right? Can it be dynamic calculated, i.e. set the tax rate to 0 in product page and the tax rate will be based on the country in the shipping address?

Thank you in advance!

On 5/1/2023 at 9:52 PM, webwork said:

So V4 only supports one fixed tax rate per COUNTRY right?

Per country + state

On 5/1/2023 at 9:52 PM, webwork said:

Can it be dynamic calculated, i.e. set the tax rate to 0 in product page and the tax rate will be based on the country in the shipping address?

Now taxes are calculated dynamically by the country field (+ state optionally) in the shipping address