• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Each and every new step I take, I take the risk of jumping on a new mine...

mendoh

Hi everyone.

Fresh 4.11.55722 install with a multi-language shop with original Watch theme. 
Carousel banner with text under image working as it should (4 banners).
Added just one additional footer menu (named "Services"), with the intention to offer services along with products.
Created one "Technical Support" page to populate the newly created menu, as follows:

image.png.d51497d9e9d756811a6cf7230e4c4962.png
When I clicked on "Save" (Design & CMS->Themes->customize) this is what happened: 

1. the new footer menu along with its "Technical Support" page, only appears under English despite the page is actually translated in four languages. There is no trace of it under the other three languages, at all;
  2. Spanish banner gone berserk and homepage layout destroyed:image.thumb.png.4d332e7b95ec78f0705e1ae05a63c286.png
  3. French banner gone berserk with text under image appearing where it should not:image.png.2a2ae01f1ff71868933c2466d2a2b618.png
  4. carousel does not work any more (one must click to change the banner);
  5. pressing the undo+save button inside Design & CMS->Themes->customize does not either revert or change one iota. 

Translation modules are the official ones. 

Any idea why the above happened?

Guys, you truly have done a hell of a job with this new OSCv4, however, even trying to slightly edit/change an original theme is far from "intuitive" and the greatest frustration to me is that each and every new step I take while using it, the risk of jumping on a new "mine" which blows up without apparently doing anything wrong (exactly as described above), is constantly actual....

image.png

4 minutes ago, mendoh said:

the new footer menu along with its "Technical Support" page, only appears under English despite the page is actually translated in four languages. There is no trace of it under the other three languages, at all;

I stand corrected. I actually meant that the SERVICES title stays in English despite the page in the menu is actually translated in four languages...

I have further information on this issue and the further information I have makes me think it is definitely a bug.

I have checked the banners at My Marketing Tools->Banner Manager and they all look ok (i.e.: as I initially set them up), when I go to Design&CMS->Theme->Customize and access the banner widget there, however, I find the settings of one banner to have changed in both Spanish and French. Exactly as previously reported above.

That is:

1. the French banner text  position shows "top left" instead of the previously (and currently at My Marketing Tools->Banner Manager) set "text under image";
  2. the Spanish banner text  position shows "top left" instead of the previously (and currently at My Marketing Tools->Banner Manager) set "text under image" and the banner image has gone. 

Considering the situation, I have tried to fix it by changingthe text position to "text under image" in both banners and uploading the missing Spanish banner image once again: I can click on "Save" on the pop-up banner editing window, however, when I try to click on the orange "Save" button to save my changes to the theme, nothing happens and I do not get any "Saved" pop-up confirmation message. 

Almost needless to say, if I click on "View shop", I find my changes are not being retained and the situation is exactly as before...

12 hours ago, mendoh said:

Guys, you truly have done a hell of a job with this new OSCv4, however, even trying to slightly edit/change an original theme is far from "intuitive" and the greatest frustration to me is that each and every new step I take while using it, the risk of jumping on a new "mine" which blows up without apparently doing anything wrong (exactly as described above), is constantly actual.

Ain't that the truth, all of it ....... from the beginning.

mendoh, I thought it was only me!

1 hour ago, Ken_Shea said:

Ain't that the truth, all of it ....... from the beginning.

Hi Ken!

You are not alone and there is definitely a situation where complexity is taking its (remarkable) toll on usability: within this scenario, the new owners and their support team are the ones who can get us out of trouble.

I sincerely hope that the number of hidden bugs somehow starts to decrease any time soon...

On 3/29/2023 at 4:15 AM, mendoh said:

Hi everyone.

Fresh 4.11.55722 install with a multi-language shop with original Watch theme. 
Carousel banner with text under image working as it should (4 banners).
Added just one additional footer menu (named "Services"), with the intention to offer services along with products.
Created one "Technical Support" page to populate the newly created menu, as follows:

image.png.d51497d9e9d756811a6cf7230e4c4962.png
When I clicked on "Save" (Design & CMS->Themes->customize) this is what happened: 

1. the new footer menu along with its "Technical Support" page, only appears under English despite the page is actually translated in four languages. There is no trace of it under the other three languages, at all;
  2. Spanish banner gone berserk and homepage layout destroyed:image.thumb.png.4d332e7b95ec78f0705e1ae05a63c286.png
  3. French banner gone berserk with text under image appearing where it should not:image.png.2a2ae01f1ff71868933c2466d2a2b618.png
  4. carousel does not work any more (one must click to change the banner);
  5. pressing the undo+save button inside Design & CMS->Themes->customize does not either revert or change one iota. 

Translation modules are the official ones. 

Any idea why the above happened?

Guys, you truly have done a hell of a job with this new OSCv4, however, even trying to slightly edit/change an original theme is far from "intuitive" and the greatest frustration to me is that each and every new step I take while using it, the risk of jumping on a new "mine" which blows up without apparently doing anything wrong (exactly as described above), is constantly actual....

image.png

Hi Mendoh,

Regarding "Added just one additional footer menu (named "Services"), with the intention to offer services along with products" we do not see it in the footer.

Regarding "Created one "Technical Support" page to populate the newly created menu, as follows" we do not see such a page. Please see the screenshot below.

image.thumb.png.7ba96ab5bc0edbc82db29934d5b08de1.png

Regarding "the new footer menu along with its "Technical Support" page, only appears under English despite the page is actually translated in four languages. There is no trace of it under the other three languages, at all;" there are no languages except English. Please see the link below.

https://yourwebsite/onlineshop/admin/platforms/configure-localization?id=8

Best regards,

Ivan

1 hour ago, Ivan Holbi said:

Regarding "Added just one additional footer menu (named "Services"), with the intention to offer services along with products" we do not see it in the footer.

Regarding "Created one "Technical Support" page to populate the newly created menu, as follows" we do not see such a page. Please see the screenshot below.

Hello Ivan.

Like I said, it is a fully fresh install and the URL has changed: this is why you do not see anything. 

I am going to send you a pm with the new url...

34 minutes ago, CHD-UK said:

When something doesn't complete as expected, my first port of call is to check the error log to see if there has been an error whilst processing.  Might be worth a look..

Andy, thanks.

I actually got errors in the log, however, I really believe that the issue I reported above is definitely depending on the banner manager itself, because that was a fresh install and the (apparently irreversible) issue came up immediately after editing the theme (added just one widget!) while the banner manager had been working just fine until that change...😕

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

there is a high risk of making mistakes that can cause unexpected issues

You are right. 

On top of that, sometimes unexpected issues come up even if you make no mistakes at all...

On 3/30/2023 at 4:47 PM, Ivan Holbi said:

Dear Ivan,

have you got any news for me? I am completely stuck with this issue...

On 3/30/2023 at 7:43 PM, mendoh said:

Hello Ivan.

Like I said, it is a fully fresh install and the URL has changed: this is why you do not see anything. 

I am going to send you a pm with the new url...

Dear Mendoh,

Regarding "the new footer menu along with its "Technical Support" page, only appears under English despite the page is actually translated in four languages. There is no trace of it under the other three languages, at all;" it could be seen in all the languages. Please see the screenshot below.

image.thumb.png.3a8660e778b39d34cd3ab1a610557bc4.png

Regarding "Spanish banner gone berserk and homepage layout destroyed:" now Spanish is switched off so we cannot check it. Sometimes, a banner does not show up in the designer so this issue will be fixed in the next osCommerce version. In the meantime you can go to the main page in the Pages section and the banner will show up.

Regarding "pressing the undo+save button inside Design & CMS->Themes->customize does not either revert or change one iota." the buttons Undo and Redo do not affect the banner change. Banners are related to the banner manager and are not part of the designer. Please also note that clicking on Save button is considered to be one more change step so in order to undo the changes please click on Undo button twice in this case 

Best regards,

Ivan