• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UPS Shipping Module doesn't have credentials? Soooo .. No negotiated rates?

kristamae

I am trying to find a good, basic e-ecommerce platform for a store with about 100 SKUs. Reading the propaganda in osCommerce site, it appeared to claim the UPS app supported negotiated rates.

But there's nowhere to put the credentials into the site. So, I'm assuming oscommerce actually doesn't support negotiated rates. I've written a function for a custom site to do negotiated rates about 14 years ago and not really excited to do it again. Are there any resources to get me a fast start on coding it? I've already decided I don't want to go woo and this client is leaving magento.

By the way, negotiated rates is a mandatory feature. UPS shipping has more than doubled in the last year... the business cannot afford free shipping and for international shipping, negotiated rates can be $300 to $500 difference to book rate, which no one should get forced upon them.

Thanks,
Krista

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2023 at 4:05 PM, osCommerce-Official said:

@Ivan Holbicould you please help? 

Especially since Woo has its huge problem. IMHO, a good basic e-commerce foundation includes UPS negotiated rates, Authorize.net CIM (save credit cards for repeat customers), and USPS. Doesn't need to make labels since everyone uses shipworks or shipstation. I got a couple months added to time frame as I'm helping also MOVE the business out of a warehouse into a home, so that helps. I've downloaded opencart but it's been rough enough to install, it obviously doesn't have a clear advantage.

Thanks,
Krista

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 1:11 PM, jimdanforth said:

the personal rates module should fill this need if you are still looking.  I had problems with it in PHP8, but there is a fix now

Hi Jim, the standard book rate is twice what our accounts' negotiated rates run. Or even more than that. If you buy a USB thumb drive and our shipping cost is $13, is it your preference to pay $26?

I have automated UPS rates before (and label download) and I can tell the way shipping prices are going this is something I'll have to do custom again. We have two different UPS account numbers and they can have wildly different rates. One is specifically for ground and home delivery with flat rates for packages meeting some criteria: 1 pound pox in the continental US is normally a flat rate of $13.35 and typically beats USPS priority mail in price. Our normal UPS account is more for international and B2B and its rates suck for home delivery but are about 60% discounted from book rate otherwise.

:D Krista

I have custom rates using the module.  Also, $26 would be great for my items :)  I regularly see $250+  I get a 50% dscount for over 50 lbs and most of my shipments are 3 @ 70lbs each.  
I also have high value items that get free shipping and some items that weigh less than a pound, so I am all over the place.  However, only domestic for me.