• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

"Down for maintenance" feature not working?

mendoh

Hi guys,

I  have checked the "Down for maintenance" feature ( I am running the most recent 4.11.55722 version) and despite I am actually able to turn it on and off, whenever I turn it on, I get this on the shop side:

This page isn’t working
yoursite.com redirected you too many times.
Try clearing your cookies.
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

Tried to clear my cookies as suggested, however, nothing has changed and I am still getting the very same error: turning off the feature makes the error go away. 

Could you please check whether an issue is actually in place?

Thanks a lot in advance

Mendoh

On 3/8/2023 at 2:40 PM, pandrei said:

The default redirect page for maintenance is working with this application https://www.oscommerce.com/app/down-for-maintenance

Hello Andrei, 

thanks for your reply. 

I have tried to download the suggested app from the link you posted, however, I could not: it seems your link offers no download option at all, it only says "Coming soon". he very same happens if I try to add the app from the backend store...

1 hour ago, CHD-UK said:

How do you go about installing the above application?  When visiting the above page I only see "Application Coming Soon".

Hello Andy,

thanks for your reply.

I do not. As long as I could verify, the "down for maintenance" app is simply not yet available and I am waiting for Andrei's feed-back on this. 

As you correctly pointed out, it is not strictly mandatory to install  the app for the maintenance section to work, however, I suppose it kind of becomes so if the "down_for_maintenance.php" shows up where it should not (i.e.: in the backend)...

@mendoh, you are right the Down for maintenance application is not ready yet. But you can use maintenance feature if create your own maintenance stub.

9 hours ago, CHD-UK said:

however this content is also displayed in the backend when editing the themes site pages when in maintainence mode

Just set your IP into the Down For Maintenance (exclude this IP-Address) option.

On 3/10/2023 at 11:06 AM, pandrei said:

But you can use maintenance feature if create your own maintenance stub.

Hello Andrei, I have followed your instructions and this is what happened:

1. the new down_for_maintenance.html file I created seems to work along with the standard "Site Maintenance" feature available in admin;
  2. excluded my own IP address and the whole thing works just fine;
  3. HOWEVER, as soon as my IP address changed, I cannot see my "Site Maintenance message" any more and I am once again back with this:

This page isn’t working
yoursite.com redirected you too many times.
Try clearing your cookies.
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

would you happen to know why?

Thank you

12 hours ago, mendoh said:

HOWEVER, as soon as my IP address changed, I cannot see my "Site Maintenance message" any more and I am once again back with this:

Hello Mendoh,

Try to flush the left column in the Cache control (Admin -> Settings -> Cache Control)

On 3/13/2023 at 11:12 AM, pandrei said:

Try to flush the left column in the Cache control (Admin -> Settings -> Cache Control)

Hello Andrei,

thanks, your suggestion apparently cleared the issue, HOWEVER, I also checked the "Themes" box and flushing the cash destroyed the changes I had done to the button colors. So now I have to remake those changes from scratch. 

What I am trying to point out is that, in general, there are SO MANY OSCv4 options (e.g.: take all the option boxes under "Flush cache") left alone with absolutely no explanation about their correlations with one another and the many other shop functions and features, that ticking one "wrong" box or clicking one button instead of another is very likely to cause unintended actions to happen as well as unwanted site configuration layout changes.

Considering the MASSIVE number of features and their correlations, in my humble opinion, either a much more detailed user's manual or, even better, function hints with detailed explanations in admin would really be a must...

Hello Mendoh,

Flushing the cache shouldn't destroy anything by the definition of a cache. This could happen if the top Save button was not pressed on the Themes page.
But if it was pressed and you can reproduce the issue, please let me know.

1 hour ago, mendoh said:

Considering the MASSIVE number of features and their correlations, in my humble opinion, either a much more detailed user's manual or, even better, function hints with detailed explanations in admin would really be a must...

I agree with you. And we are constantly improving the wiki documentation: https://www.oscommerce.com/wiki/Main_Page

Feel free to tell us which topic documentation you need first.

7 hours ago, pandrei said:

Feel free to tell us which topic documentation you need first.

Thanks Andrei.

My suggestion would be to write down some sort of "quick set-up guide" aside the main manual/wiki: by doing this, you would allow interested site owners to go live in a relatively short time, while at the same time creating additional interest in them, thus making them wanting to know more about the truly massive potentials and number of features that the new OSCv4 actually has to offer and eventually start digging deeper into the main manual/wiki. 

For instance, by starting from the original Watch theme, a quick set-up guide should enable the user to set up a fully functional website with that very same theme, however eventually replacing the existing demo products with actual products before going live with the whole shop. 
A properly-written quick guide should show how to add products and categories within the same original theme layout, while at the same time considering and explaining all the hidden relationships with other OSCv4 features and functions when doing that (e.g.: a new product will not show up among new products under the new products tab unless it has not only been added, but also marked as new until a given date and the maximum number of days for which a product is marked as new have been set). 
A properly written quick guide should also take into account all those essential operations and configurations that are absolutely mandatory for a freshly installed site to go live correctly and show how to complete them one after another in a step-by-step procedure. Some examples of essential operations and configurations would be: configuration of all the essential website information, locales, currencies, how to set up tax and shipping information properly, online payment setup, etc. 

Last but not least, I have tried to replicate the flushing cache issue, however, this:

https://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/498293-a-simple-logo-change-in-the-mobile-theme-version-completely-destroys-layout-of-the-desktop-version/

totally prevented me from doing so, because my desktop theme version has gone away and I now have some sort of "hybrid" desktopmobile theme version where all the destkop buttons have disappeared....

😭