• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SMTP w/ TLS on Separate Mail Server OSC V4

cjf1026

I am trying to configure oscommerce v4 to use my external mail server to send mails. It has strict security, and requires the following:
• TLS on port 587
• Sender name (email from) must match email username (full email address that exists on the mail server)

I see there is an option to use swiftmailer, however that has been replaced with symfony mailer - either way, I can't find much documentation on setting that up for OSCommerce (and I am not proficient enough to dig deep into the code myself).

Would someone give me at least a rough step-step guide on the email configuration for oscommerce whether it be stand-alone (not sure if thats possible), swiftmailer, symfony mailer, etc.

Another question: In Admin > Settings > Mail Configuration, do I need to install each option? I.e. where I enter port, there is a button that says install, do I need to press that for each area?

Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated and would allow me to take this store live. Myself and another (separate websites/store) are trying to get this figured out, and we will be set in stone on migrating to OSCommerce. The other is already full swing production mode using ZenCart, so they are anxious.

Thanks! Glad OSC is making a comeback!

I checked my logs and it doesn't appear that OSC is even attempting to actually send an email. I tried "installing" all of the settings and still get nothing. Running Debian dedicated host with a separate mail server.  Any help would be greatly appreciated 😕

17 hours ago, cjf1026 said:

I checked my logs and it doesn't appear that OSC is even attempting to actually send an email.

Chris,

you'd better also check that you have a valid and smtp-authenticated email address correctly set up at:

sales channel -> your active sales channel -> edit 

As long as I can tell you, a valid SMTP-authenticated email address (same as the one registered at Settings--> email options) must be present inside the sales channel-> your active sales channel -> edit -> contact information box, at the required fields "email address" and "email from", otherwise, OSC will not be able to send anything out...

Mendoh, thanks for that advice - I was looking for those settings earlier to make sure I didn't make a typo. All is set as it should be. I went ahead and added my email address to the also send emails to section. I may try using my gmail address and see if that works; it's just odd that I am not even seeing a rejected connection or anything from my mail logs. All of my other software applications on the server are using the email fine. I will keep chipping away at it, I considered buying Mandrill by MailChimp, but at $20/mo, it's hard to accept hah.

Curious where the file is that specifies the SMTP settings, generally configure.php but I didn't see them. I want to make sure that the settings are actually in the system properly and that there isn't a bug there, and if there are any other options that might need be changed (though I have no idea as to what they would be, admin has Server, Port, Security, Username/email, Password. That should be all that's needed 😕

Hi Chris,

I have recently received confirmation that the SMTP relay issue is going to be addressed by the OSCv4 developers and fixed in the next version update release: I suppose this means you should be able to find a solution to your SMTP email troubles or at least get surefire proof that OSCv4 is no longer to blame...

@mendoh - As far as the relay, that is great - did the update fix the relay? But in terms of email not working, OSCv4 is definitely to blame. Whether it be lack of documentation or a bug. Is TLS 1.2 (pretty sure thats the version I am running) supported?

Again, my mail server isn't even receiving an attempt for connection. I try the contact form, the send coupon from admin backend, and nothing in the logs. If I didn't have about 12 software applications using the same emails/server, I'd say it might be a me problem.

I'd be willing to donate to this project if I can get email working - if I cannot, then I must move onto another platform and cut my losses. If a developer would like to see this, I am happy to share my settings/login via DM.

To add: It's not a failed login attempt, those show up in the logs. I've tested a few possible errors, all which show up in the logs. Pardon my frustration, but with 20+ email accounts, multiple software apps using these emails including all of them on my phone with specific server settings, and I've checked my config a dozen times, there's no way its anything on that end. Has to be a step I am not performing or something. OR a bug..

Edited by cjf1026
added info

15 hours ago, cjf1026 said:

My email settings: I have "uninstalled" everything. I tried installing all the relevant fields and test results were the same.

Hi Chris,

Edit SMTP Mailer options and select Swiftmailer. Then check the mail sending. If there is an error try changing SMTP Encryption option to Secure to regular port (STARTTSL).

@pandrei - So I tried this on a host and still nothing. I do not have access to the logs for this host - does OSCommerce require a third part service like mandrill or Swiftmailer to send mail? Swiftmailer is discontinued and is now Symfony, and Mandrill is a paid application.

Tried changing the SMTP Encryption, however that produced the same results. When I selected Swiftmailer, the page just went to a blank screen with the words "Please contact us if you see this page", presumably because you have to install and configure swiftmailer first.

Considering email is an extremely important piece for an eCommerce store to operate, I am a little frustrated for the lack of "support" on this. Can none of the developers even acknowledge this thread?..

I stand corrected Im sorry I didnt see that the two above were developers. 😐

So do I need to use swiftmailer for this to work? Is there anywhere that describes the setup process for this? Not much on swiftmailer, everything has moved to symfony.

Also, do I need to press "install" on each of the settings? I am working on this with a shared host now and the mail server is the same as the web host. Note: I do not have access to sudo or anything outside of my shared environment. This uses SSL(465).

Edited by cjf1026

Would it be possible to get a step-by-step write up of how to get email working? I think that would help a lot of people. I see on Google that many people have trouble configuring email for OSCommece. a Step-by-step would be giantly helpful. Or if I can get this working properly, I'd be happy to write one, the problem is, I need one to get it working! 😕

@cjf1026

On 3/5/2023 at 5:28 AM, cjf1026 said:

does OSCommerce require a third part service like mandrill or Swiftmailer to send mail?

OSCommerce  don't require third part services to send email via smtp.

On 3/5/2023 at 5:28 AM, cjf1026 said:

When I selected Swiftmailer, the page just went to a blank screen with the words "Please contact us if you see this page", presumably because you have to install and configure swiftmailer first.

Try to change SMTP Encryption option. If you still have "Please contact us if you see this page" message - go to Admin -> Settings -> Tools -> Error Log Viewer, click Download all logs button and send me the zip file in PM

19 hours ago, cjf1026 said:

Also, do I need to press "install" on each of the settings? I am working on this with a shared host now and the mail server is the same as the web host. Note: I do not have access to sudo or anything outside of my shared environment. This uses SSL(465).

No, you don't need to press Install button. And you don't need to access sudo command.

18 hours ago, cjf1026 said:

Would it be possible to get a step-by-step write up of how to get email working? I think that would help a lot of people. I see on Google that many people have trouble configuring email for OSCommece. a Step-by-step would be giantly helpful. Or if I can get this working properly, I'd be happy to write one, the problem is, I need one to get it working! 😕

We are working on that manual.

• 4 months later...

Secure to dedicated port (TLS)

On 3/3/2023 at 4:00 PM, pandrei said:

Hi Chris,

Edit SMTP Mailer options and select Swiftmailer. Then check the mail sending. If there is an error try changing SMTP Encryption option to Secure to regular port (STARTTSL).

This solution worked for me after I selected Swiftmailer and I was able to use Secure to dedicated port (TLS)

My port was 465