• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

symlinks issue

tcarter887

Ok so a few weeks ago I tried to install OSCommerce 4 directly on the server and was never able to get through the installation. It would get as far as creating the database tables and error out.  I forget what the error was, but this isn't my problem now.  At that time, I decided to install it locally instead. I installed Virtualbox and Ubunto, Apache and PHP, and was able to successfully install it locally.  After that, I then copied the entire folder back up to the web server and changed the config files to point to the live database.  The splash page worked, the Admin tool worked, but none of the example sites worked.  I would get 404 errors when trying to go to the furniture store for example.   So I found symlinks, originally created for /var/www/html  so I deleted those and recreated new symlinks to the new folder location using Cpanel Cron jobs.  And now the sites for Furniture, Printshop, Watch and B2b-supermarket are all working!
But now my problem is the links inside of each of those sites are giving 404s.
I can find no documentation on how OSCommerce uses symlinks.  Seems I've moved from one hurdle to another.  Do I have to manually create symlinks for everything now?  Or do I have a permissions issue?  Is there a way to run just the part of the installation that creates all the symlinks, and nothing else since I have everything else working?  Here's the site.
https://osc3.ramblerparts.com/
Thanks in advance!

Tom

Thanks. I had already tried that. I created the check_mod_rewrite.php as suggested, and got the "Mod_rewrite is working well" message.

However, I did notice that there was no .htaccess file on the root folder to begin with, so I had to create one.

I went back to my original Ubuntu installation and ensured I was able to view system/hidden files, and confirmed it was never created on there either.

Maybe that's my issue.  Is there any way you can provide a sample copy of the root .htaccess file that is supposed to be there?

16 minutes ago, tcarter887 said:

Thanks. I had already tried that. I created the check_mod_rewrite.php as suggested, and got the "Mod_rewrite is working well" message.

What url are you used to check it? Could you send a screenshot?

17 minutes ago, tcarter887 said:

Maybe that's my issue.  Is there any way you can provide a sample copy of the root .htaccess file that is supposed to be there?

The root .htaccess in the attachment.

.htaccess

I tried it again, I added "RewriteRule ^.*$ check_mod_rewrite.php" to my htaccess file and viewed osc3.ramblerparts.com and got the correct message.  Attaching here.

But then I took your htaccess file and uploaded it and now everything works!  Thank you so much!   What a relief!  Not sure why the install omitted that.
Now I can go learn my way around the Admin tool and see what I can customize from there. 

I will be assigning the "www" subdomain to point to the new /osc3 folder after I have my client's site rebuilt (the old one was built on OSCommerce v2.3.3).
Thanks again!

Tom

screenshot-check_mod_rewrite.jpg

Edited by tcarter887

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2023 at 10:43 AM, pandrei said:

What url are you used to check it? Could you send a screenshot?

The root .htaccess in the attachment.

.htaccess 3.66 kB · 2 downloads

Ok I am getting reminder emails to "Help others by going to the topic and use the 'Mark as Solution’ button on the post with the best answer", but I can find no such button or link anywhere here.  All I see is "Report, share or hide.", so in absence of this choice, I am commenting that this was the solution.  Thanks again!  - Tom