• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Why so complicated

Mort-lemur

Hi,

I have been running a couple of OSC 2.3.4 stores for around 12 years and have been very happy with the system, but they are running on php 6.x which must have a limited lifespan now.

So decided to have a look at the new revamped OSC 4 and have installed it locally on an xampp system

The front end looks good - But what the hell! the admin side is so complex - like something from a software developers frenzied nightmare......

For example. previously I could add products on a single page - but now there are 11 tabbed pages for each product - I have no idea what some of the things are that I am being asked to enter.

The same applies to adding a new category.

I have no idea after a couple of days looking on how to add category menus or even if drop down or slide out category menus are possible.

Maybe I'm missing something somewhere - but it all seems to be over complex and trying to include every possible field that a shop owner could want.

Is there anywhere that I could gain enlightenment, as a simple shop owner, to work this system?

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

osCommerce is now designed to be used by businesses of any size. Adding products, it now allows you to specify and use so much more data than ever before. Things like SEO control, size and packaging, multiple images, videos, etc are parts of the system now. 

You may find our Wiki page useful 

https://wiki.oscommerce.com

However we are always happy to answer your questions, please feel free to post them here. Thanks! 

I agree its overwhelming.  I actually stayed away from update because of the complexity of the add page.  And I'm not fond of the tab order.  However, if you have been around long enough you will get to appreciate the update.  Just use the tabs you need and go on with development.  I have actually had to go back and use more of the tabs to add more features to my listings.  I have over 1000 products so it's substantial.  

• 1 month later...

I have to agree, it is overwhelmingly complicated, of course this will change with use I am sure.

A new install, and playing around with it to become familiar, this is not a bitch, after all, cost was zero.

,Been messing with it for a couple hours and have yet discovered how to...

Add any product

Fill in Contact Information for the "Contact on web site"

Create Sales Tax only for the State of Ohio in the USA.

Looked of course at Wiki but that only created additional confusion.

Obviously the creators have provided for this but it's hiding pretty good :)

15 hours ago, Ken_Shea said:

I have to agree, it is overwhelmingly complicated, of course this will change with use I am sure.

A new install, and playing around with it to become familiar, this is not a bitch, after all, cost was zero.

,Been messing with it for a couple hours and have yet discovered how to...

Add any product

Fill in Contact Information for the "Contact on web site"

Create Sales Tax only for the State of Ohio in the USA.

Looked of course at Wiki but that only created additional confusion.

Obviously the creators have provided for this but it's hiding pretty good :)

Hi Ken,

Regarding adding products please see the link below.

https://wiki.oscommerce.com/index.php?title=Managing_Products

Regarding Fill in Contact Information for the "Contact on web site" please see the screenshots below.

Regarding Create Sales Tax only for the State of Ohio in the USA please create the tax zone for this state, then create a tax class and finally create and assign the tax rate to these tax zone and tax class. Please see the link below how to do it. Also please make sure this tax rate is assigned to all the products.

https://wiki.oscommerce.com/index.php?title=Managing_Taxes

Best regards,

Ivan    

image.thumb.png.932bf498e715ca10e16d32b9b79c2293.png

image.thumb.png.bd9485acefc5a3b8c4ca1afa6a47e249.png

• 2 months later...

I too am finding this extremely over-complicated. I can't run the older version now on my host provider due to the PHP requirements. So I have no choice but to use OSC4.

Bugs / problems / issues.. at this rate it will be week or months till I get a site fully functional. I know you guys are hard at work tho. Keep at it.

Although I will say it was extremely easy to link the PayPal to OSC 4 ! One step at a time I guess.

Forums are a good start tho for now.

When can we expect some Canada Post shipping modules , or Interac E-Transfer payment options, etc ? Right now I can't even get it to add taxes, or show proper address, or anything.
Where is the 2nd address line option for example. For a P.O Box or an Apt #

Soo many questions, but I am plugging away !

7 hours ago, jroc9999 said:

I too am finding this extremely over-complicated. I can't run the older version now on my host provider due to the PHP requirements. So I have no choice but to use OSC4.

Bugs / problems / issues.. at this rate it will be week or months till I get a site fully functional. I know you guys are hard at work tho. Keep at it.

Although I will say it was extremely easy to link the PayPal to OSC 4 ! One step at a time I guess.

Forums are a good start tho for now.

When can we expect some Canada Post shipping modules , or Interac E-Transfer payment options, etc ? Right now I can't even get it to add taxes, or show proper address, or anything.
Where is the 2nd address line option for example. For a P.O Box or an Apt #

Soo many questions, but I am plugging away !

Hi Jason,

Regarding "When can we expect some Canada Post shipping modules , or Interac E-Transfer payment options, etc ?" we are working on these points so hopefully they will be available soon. 

Regarding "Right now I can't even get it to add taxes, or show proper address, or anything." please see the following pages to find more about them.

https://www.oscommerce.com/wiki/Managing_Taxes

https://www.oscommerce.com/wiki/Managing_Address_Formats

Regarding "Where is the 2nd address line option for example. For a P.O Box or an Apt #" there is no such an option. Please use Street Address or rename Suburb field instead.

Best regards,

Ivan

17 hours ago, Ivan Holbi said:

Hi Jason,

Regarding "When can we expect some Canada Post shipping modules , or Interac E-Transfer payment options, etc ?" we are working on these points so hopefully they will be available soon. 

Regarding "Right now I can't even get it to add taxes, or show proper address, or anything." please see the following pages to find more about them.

https://www.oscommerce.com/wiki/Managing_Taxes

https://www.oscommerce.com/wiki/Managing_Address_Formats

Regarding "Where is the 2nd address line option for example. For a P.O Box or an Apt #" there is no such an option. Please use Street Address or rename Suburb field instead.

Best regards,

Ivan

Thanks Ivan. I have read all those sections. Still a no go on the tax thing. Won't show in cart or totals.