• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to Install OSC V4 on Xampp

Mort-lemur

Download and install Xampp from here: https://www.apachefriends.org/download.html The version I used was windows with php 8.1.12

It will install in the directory c:\xampp

In c:\xampp\htdocs create the directory “catalog”

Download the latest version of OSC4 from here: https://www.oscommerce.com/

Once downloaded unzip the files to c:\xampp\htdocs\catalog

Start the xampp control panel and start Apache, MySql & Mercury

In xampp control panel click on MySql admin tab – this will open xampp PhpMyAdmin where you need to create a new database and password.

In your browser, navigate to localhost/catalog – This should start the installation process for OSC4

Initially the installation will fail due to a couple of services needed as follows:

The installation may fail again when trying to install the database due to password issues – If so you may need to hard code your database password into the catalog/admin/includes/configure.php file at around line 52

The installation should now continue and complete (unless I forgot a step / adjustment somewhere….)

Ok so now you can go to the browser and using localhost/catalog open your new website. BUT…..

More changes are required to enable your access to your Admin / Backend as follows:

Firstly from a post by @pandrei a change needed to: xampp/htdocs/catalog/admin/includes/local/configure.php and remove extra slash in these constants:

define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '//oscommerce/store/admin/');
define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '//oscommerce/store');

Change to:

define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '/oscommerce/store/admin/');
define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '/oscommerce/store');

You can now navigate to localhost/catalog/admin but the login will fail, as the Mercury email programme needs to be set up as follows:

First make sure you have an email account and password set up (I created a gmail.com email account just for this purpose)

Then you need to configure Mercury to send mails, there is lots of info out there, but this link is one of the most straightforward: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to-configure-xampp-to-send-mail-from-localhost-using-php/

Next you need to make a change via the xampp mercury control panel, just a case of unchecking a box, which this link explains: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6809369/warning-mail-function-mail-smtp-server-response-553-we-do-not-relay-non-l

You should now be able to login to your Admin / Backend – Simples!

Disclaimer: As I did the install a few days ago I may have forgotten a step or change needed, so don’t blame me if it does not work or if you waste hours of time….. If it fails post here and I (or somebody who actually knows what they are doing) will try and help.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

• 1 month later...

If you install this on XAMPP for windows, you have to manually add the symlinks for the demo shops.

To  do this start a cmd.exe session with administrator privileges. Go tot the directory where you have oscommerce installed (in my example "c:\xampp\htdocs\catalog")

then add the following commands

mklink -D watch  c:\xampp\htdocs\catalog

mklink -D  furniture c:\xampp\htdocs\catalog

mklink -D printshop c:\xampp\htdocs\catalog

mklink -D  b2b-supermarket  c:\xampp\htdocs\catalog

• 11 months later...

I am trying to install version 4 in server host online and in the third step of the installation I get this error and I don't know how to solve it,

Access denied for user 'frank2023'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

could someone help me, I would greatly appreciate it, I am new to this topic and I am a little lost and I thank you in advance for your help.

Regards Francisco

4 hours ago, pako said:

Access denied for user 'frank2023'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

That message usually means the database is not set up correctly. You have to create the database manually for the script to work. Be sure you have assigned privileges to it.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons