• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Added Categories won't show in shop

waverunner

4 hours ago, pandrei said:

I recommend that you to do the translation in the admin panel and not in csv files. It is safer because there are many nuances when importing/exporting csv files.

If I am only supposed to re-work the translation and fill-in the gaps, that might be feasible, however, starting from scratch will definitely take close to forever...

1 hour ago, mendoh said:

It actually shows 6807 records

Perfect. I added French, Spanish and your updated Italian translations. So, you can export it or translate in the admin panel.

1 hour ago, mendoh said:

Translating from inside the admin panel is going to take FOREVER. That is highly time-consuming and I just cannot believe you could not figure out an alternative and more efficient way to do that...

If you are using an external editor for translation, please note:

- some of them may save csv in a format not compatible with osCommerce import

- you should remove "en" column before importing, because it might override the newest English translation from the system update

- don't select "Add new" option, otherwise you can add the keys that have was already been deleted

I am sure the translations are correct now. But you still have a problem on the category page. Unfortunately I can't reproduce that issue on our osCommerce v4.11 installations. That's why I asked about modifications.

And there are no new messages in the error log...

Only one thing I can propose to solve this issue - we can debug it if you give us an ftp access to your osCommerce folder. Sorry, but I cannot describe the debugging process in simple instructions that you can do yourself.

3 hours ago, pandrei said:

So, you can export it or translate in the admin panel.

I am checking the languages and they are actually back there, however, I have noticed that many (Italian) translations lack the green tick despite they are actually present already:

image.png.00b9e08a76a30fb62f23897cee4168df.png

why is it so?

17 hours ago, pandrei said:

I am sure the translations are correct now. But you still have a problem on the category page. Unfortunately I can't reproduce that issue on our osCommerce v4.11 installations. That's why I asked about modifications.

And there are no new messages in the error log...

Only one thing I can propose to solve this issue - we can debug it if you give us an ftp access to your osCommerce folder. Sorry, but I cannot describe the debugging process in simple instructions that you can do yourself.

Hello Andrei.

I have asked the website owners and they said that FTP access is out of the question: is there any alternative to a full OSCv4 reinstall (OUCH!!), to solve that issue?

14 hours ago, mendoh said:

I am checking the languages and they are actually back there, however, I have noticed that many (Italian) translations lack the green tick despite they are actually present already:

The checked mark is not imported/exported. Translator uses it into the admin panel to mark that translation is checked.
Run the attached sql file to return this mark to Italian translation.

24 minutes ago, mendoh said:

I have asked the website owners and they said that FTP access is out of the question: is there any alternative to a full OSCv4 reinstall (OUCH!!), to solve that issue?

Unfortunately, I don't see any alternative then.

update-translation-checked.sql

24 minutes ago, pandrei said:

Unfortunately, I don't see any alternative then.

oh,  splendid...I like it so much when I have to dig a hole then fill it up back again. 😑

How can I save/export all the work I have done with the shipping tables and zones on the current website before wiping it off?

Let me try with the sql file you provided, then I guess I will have to export the updated Italian translation if I want to save it before wiping the whole site off?

48 minutes ago, pandrei said:

Run the attached sql file to return this mark to Italian translation.

1 hour ago, mendoh said:

Hello Andrei.

Imported the file, with these results

https://east1-phpmyadmin.dreamhost.com/themes/dot.gif Import has been successfully finished, 93 queries executed. (update-translation-checked.sql)

and the language situation on admin apparently did not change AT ALL (i.e.: >36% of Italian translations still without a green tick and unrecognized despite being there)...

Hello Mendoh,

41 minutes ago, mendoh said:

How can I save/export all the work I have done with the shipping tables and zones on the current website before wiping it off?

If you decide to reinstall the osCommerce:
At first I recommend that you back up the current database and save the result file in the separate folder.
All shippings have import/export buttons.
The translation also has import/export buttons.

15 minutes ago, mendoh said:

Imported the file, with these results

https://east1-phpmyadmin.dreamhost.com/themes/dot.gif Import has been successfully finished, 93 queries executed. (update-translation-checked.sql)

and the language situation on admin apparently did not change AT ALL (i.e.: >36% of Italian translations still without a green tick and unrecognized despite being there)...

But that is the same situation as before the reimport. Some translations were green marks, but some were not. Here is a screenshot from your previous state:

Original_state_partly.thumb.png.d4ad313e0f91a6e8cbefeb32eb7bb504.png

Italian translation had only 57% green marks or 5111 translation keys. Some of these keys were broken, some are not used anymore. So, now you have 63% or 4307 keys.

On 3/25/2023 at 4:30 PM, pandrei said:

But that is the same situation as before the reimport. Some translations were green marks, but some were not. Here is a screenshot from your previous state:

Hello Andrei, I am sorry but I have to disagree. 

I have gone through all the 270+ multi-language translation pages from within the e-commerce and they are now all populated/translated, including Italian which I have completed. 

Also, the keys for Italian appeared to be perfectly aligned with the English ones as well as with those of other languages, hence your reckoning cannot refer to actual data. 

I have translated all the keys, however, for some odd reason, the e-commerce fails to recognize many of the actually-translated keys by assigning a green tick and it does not raise the count to the same percentage score I am getting for the other available languages: why is it so?

Take a look at what happens when I perform a selective search for untranslated keys in Italian from within the e-commerce: 

image.thumb.png.3095014af438289416fd9527d4144a0f.png

what I get is a list of 101 pages ( 😱 ) of actually-translated keys which account for the 37%-no-green-tick-and-supposedly-missing-2496 keys which are mistakenly recognized as such by the e-commerce...

9 hours ago, mendoh said:

Hello Andrei, I am sorry but I have to disagree. 

Dear Mendoh,
I see that you concerned but I don't understand the reason. Here are screenshots from your old database. As you can see, it has a lot of broken translation keys and the same keys without green mark as in your screenshot. Also the old database has 154 pages of untranslated keys (keys without green mark). So the current state of your Italian translation is the same as before except:

- the broken keys were deleted

- the unused keys were deleted

- the errors in the translation was fixed

None of the green marks have been changed.

Original_state_first_keys.png

Original_state_pages_count.png

23 minutes ago, pandrei said:

I don't understand the reason

Hello Andrei,

neither do I. 

Your latest feed-back would make me think about exporting/saving the Italian translation plus a total and clean reinstall of both the e-commerce engine and database, along with a full discarding of the existing version?

The last thing that I want is to perform a new installation, then find out along the way about unsolvable issues of unknown origin with either the database or database keys...

1 hour ago, pandrei said:

So the current state of your Italian translation is the same as before except:

- the broken keys were deleted

- the unused keys were deleted

- the errors in the translation was fixed

Is exporting the Italian translation, then importing it into a brand new shop going to be enough to avoid unpleasant surprises with any possible broken keys or am I going to be better off by sending the exported Italian translation to you for you to code it into an app/better shape?

1 hour ago, mendoh said:

Is exporting the Italian translation, then importing it into a brand new shop going to be enough to avoid unpleasant surprises with any possible broken keys or am I going to be better off by sending the exported Italian translation to you for you to code it into an app/better shape?

Yes, export/import is enough to restore the previous state.

You can send me an exported csv file if you have added new translations and would like me to check it for correct formed parameters.