• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Added Categories won't show in shop

waverunner

3 minutes ago, mendoh said:

One more thing: I have noticed that, after re-enabling the other languages, a new category will not show on the shop side in any of the additional languages other than English, despite its translation is actually present in Products(Brands/Categories) / Category/ Name and Description / French or Spanish

How can I fix this?

Never mind.

It was the missing "name it again" requirement (please see my previous post above) to cause the issue...

On 3/18/2023 at 8:38 PM, pandrei said:

that should fix the above javascript error

Just added a new product under "Audio recorders", which is a sub-categorywhich so far had zero products in it. 
 The results are as follows:
 1) on the shop-side homepage, the "New Products" tab still does NOT show aside the "Sales Feature" and "Featured products" tabs...why?;
 2) the "Audio recorders" sub-category with the just-added new product will not appear under "DesignCMS-> Menus->Available pages->Categories" hence it is impossible to drag and drop it to the aside Menu->Categories list;
 3) deriving from the above item #2, both the sub-category and its product do not show anywhere on the shop-side homepage.

Frankly speaking, I could never imagine that simply adding and displaying products and categories would turn out to be so complicated...

7 hours ago, mendoh said:

First of all, despite there are three already-existing sub-categories and one product inside Products->Brands/Categories (i.e.: Audio recorders, Video recorders and Telephone recorders) and one of those (i.e.: Telephone recorders) has three test products inside:

when I switch to Design & CMS/Menus, I can only find the main category (i.e.: Audio and video recorders) a test product and only one (i.e.: Video recorders) of the original three categories, which is also the only one to get displayed:

Because one of the installed languages has a problem translations that crash the category page. So, I turned off the languages, opened the category and clicked the Save button. After that the category are shown in the left menu.

8 hours ago, mendoh said:

Also, I have noticed that it is not sufficient to drag and drop the desired category from "Available pages" to "Menu/Categoried" for it to actually show up on the shop side. You will also have to name it again , despite it already has a name

Why?

The same reason, I think. There is no response when I click on Save button. So, there still is a problem with saving a category. I suggest you to delete all installed translations in Settings->Localization->Languages and check the saving a category

categorySave.thumb.png.02b59ec595f1b36982594e65522ab4d0.png

Last but not least, there is also a  "Class" field and "Customers groups" boxes whose purpose is unknown to me: would you please explain?

Class - if you want to add a custom CSS class to the menu item

Customers groups - you can select customer groups that can see this menu item

One more thing: I have noticed that, after re-enabling the other languages, a new category will not show on the shop side in any of the additional languages other than English, despite its translation is actually present in Products(Brands/Categories) / Category/ Name and Description / French or Spanish

How can I fix this?

Unfortunately the current osCommerce versions rely heavily on language files. Almost any of the pages can be broken due to incorrect translation.

Therefore, we can provide support only if you are using our latest versions of translations.

19 hours ago, pandrei said:

I suggest you to delete all installed translations in Settings->Localization->Languages and check

I see. 

How am I supposed to proceed if I want to delete all the installed translations at once, instead of one key at a time?

Also, I have informed Vadym that I have completed translation into Italian and now I need to test it on a live shop: can you provide me with any tool to correctly encode my translation so that it will be compatible with the existing OSCv4 release without causing it to go berserk?

Thank you

1 hour ago, mendoh said:

How am I supposed to proceed if I want to delete all the installed translations at once, instead of one key at a time?

You have two options:

1) You can delete a language at the Languages page. But it will also delete translations you may have made for products, categories, order statuses and other entities.

2) You can install our language via App Shop. It will override your translation.

2 hours ago, mendoh said:

Also, I have informed Vadym that I have completed translation into Italian and now I need to test it on a live shop: can you provide me with any tool to correctly encode my translation so that it will be compatible with the existing OSCv4 release without causing it to go berserk?

You can export it by clicking the Export Keys button to csv file and send it to me. I will check it by our internal checker utility.

Also let me know if you would like to share it with other osCommerce users. In this case, we will correct possible errors, supplement the missing keys and put it in the App Shop indicating your authorship.

On 3/20/2023 at 9:17 PM, pandrei said:

Because one of the installed languages has a problem translations that crash the category page. So, I turned off the languages, opened the category and clicked the Save button. After that the category are shown in the left menu.

Dear Andrei,

it seems I still need your help with the display of categories and products.

Here is what I have done:
1) installed your official language packages (satus: "deployed" in "My storage")
2) disable the only non-official language (Italian)
3) followed your instructions about " turning off the languages, opening the category and clicked the Save button. After that the category are shown in the left menu"

at this stage results are that all the categories actually appear under "Design & CMS->Menus->New Categories that can be move from left to right column".

Still, on shop side they do NOT display. 

Under Producs/Catalogue->Products (Brands/Categories)-> New Categories, each of the new categories (which now appear in Menus, please see above) has at least one product inside, which is correctly configured as you previously suggested (at least as long as I could verify), HOWEVER, the still do NOT show up on shop side. 

Still what could be wrong?

Regarding this:

20 hours ago, pandrei said:

Also let me know if you would like to share it with other osCommerce users. In this case, we will correct possible errors, supplement the missing keys and put it in the App Shop indicating your authorship.

I sent you a pm just now...

On 3/20/2023 at 9:17 PM, pandrei said:

After that the category are shown in the left menu

Almost forgotten: besides the new categories, even the "New Products" tab (the one which goes aside the "Sales Features" and "Featured Products" tabs) still does NOT show on shop side...

Dear Mendoh,

Thank you for following my instructions.

6 hours ago, mendoh said:

Still, on shop side they do NOT display. 

You are almost there. All that you need is to select which user groups the menu item will be available to.

MenuSelectGroup.thumb.png.84ac074438a3424e7f7e6ef7bfd9105e.png

15 hours ago, pandrei said:

You are almost there.

Andrei, thanks.

I could actually display both the categories and their sub-categories by following your recommendations. 

Unfortunately, HOWEVER, it seems the e-commerce engine is far from not going berserk (and eventually break into yet another issue!) each and every time I move to the next stage after an issue has been solved. 😭

Here is what happens now:

1) after adding a new category and clicking on the "save" button after adding a new category, absolutely nothing happens that is: no feed-back screen or message that the category is being added. If I go back to the main category add page, however, the recently added category is there. I could only realize about that after clicking on the "save" button for a new category 10 times in a row and finding 10 duplicates of the same categories on the main category add page, without absolutely ANY warning or message that a category was being added;

2) I tried to delete 9 of the 10 duplicates by using the batch delete function: after launching the function, it takes an incredible amount of time to delete only one or two duplicates and once again without absolutely any message or screen feed-back about the operation in progress. So I resigned to one-by-one deletion which apparently worked (once again without absolutely any message or screen feed-back about the operation in progress). Then, I decided to add a sub-category to the most recently added category (please see above item#1): what happens is once again what I have described so far. Then, I could find the new sub-category being added atop of all the existing ones, HOWEVER, all of the other categories and sub-categories I have added so far now find themselves under a "phantom" category which appeared just out of the blue and from which there is apparently NO way to move them because the hand function does not appear to work:

image.png.4b0aeb96babd00a5a487db7337e74d4a.png

WHAT IS THAT!?!?

3) I have tried to edit the "phantom" category by clicking on the "edit" button: everything hangs and a forever spinning ball of dots is all I get as follows:

image.thumb.png.31da0a63b9a4c6bdbaa2d8de21130a64.png

Now what?

2 minutes ago, mendoh said:

all of the other categories and sub-categories I have added so far now find themselves under a "phantom" category which appeared just out of the blue

just refreshed the page and now the phantom category has gone away...I am utterly puzzled, indeed...

16 minutes ago, mendoh said:

there is apparently NO way to move them because the hand function does not appear to work:

I have managed to move the category to where I need it to be (thus making it a sub-category) by:

1) selecting the category I wanted to move;

2) clicking on move;

3) moving to the desired location.

On the left column under the Categories tab, all the categories show a hand icon aside, which would be supposed to move them more quickly and efficiently by drag-and-drop, too bad that it does NOT seem to work at all...so why leave it there!?!?

Basic operations with products and categories are already lengthy and time-consuming owing to the MASSIVE amount of functions, interactions, parameters and features one has to consider: under these conditions, adding features or functions that would be supposed to help/make things easier but DO NOT WORK in actual facts, only creates A LOT of confusion leading to a frustrating OSCv4 experience and even more time wasted and this is even more true when sometimes we happen to find switches with absolutely NO indication of what they are for:

image.png.ae49148b45825445780916cafdd891d0.png

such as the ones above, inside "Edit Category/Templates"...

16 hours ago, pandrei said:

You are almost there.

Dear Andrei,

I really need your help to understand what is going on here. 
Judging by the evidence I have collected so far, despite being cited in the Manuals as actually working (https://www.oscommerce.com/wiki/Managing_Categories) the drag-and-drop function available in the Categories tree is seriously crippled and should be carefully revised. 

This is what I get when trying to use it:

1. most of the times it will not work correctly (i.e.: the hand moves nothing) unless I refresh the page;
  2. I have moved one sub-category from my top category to another category immediately below: while I can do that with the drag-and-drop feature, moving the very same sub-category back to the category where it originally belonged, does NOT work. If I want to to that, I have to use the three-step button procedure I previously mentioned;
  3. if I try to move one sub-category from either my top category or another category below it, that will work, however, once again moving the very same category back to the (top) category where it originally belonged does NOT work;
  4. moving the main categories up and down by drag-and-drop does NOT work.

Thank you

WHAT IS THAT!?!?

Dear Mendoh,

You have the broken French and Spanish translations.  And these translations crash the category page. Where did you get them?

Could you allow us to use Settings->Cache control page? It should be used after changing settings and languages.

3 hours ago, pandrei said:

You have the broken French and Spanish translations.  And these translations crash the category page. Where did you get them?

Hello Andrei, I really do not think so. 

As a matter of fact, yesterday I wrote you that:

On 3/22/2023 at 3:22 PM, mendoh said:

Here is what I have done:
1) installed your official language packages (satus: "deployed" in "My storage")
3) followed your instructions about " turning off the languages, opening the category and clicked the Save button. After that the category are shown in the left menu"

at this stage results are that all the categories actually appear under "Design & CMS->Menus->New Categories that can be move from left to right column".

so the languages I have now are just your official ones and I installed them without removing the previous ones because you told me that:

On 3/21/2023 at 6:50 PM, pandrei said:

2) You can install our language via App Shop. It will override your translation.

The only non-official language I have is Italian, however, I also informed you that:

On 3/22/2023 at 3:22 PM, mendoh said:

Last but not least, if this:

4 hours ago, pandrei said:

Could you allow us to use Settings->Cache control page? It should be used after changing settings and languages.

is actually true, I believe you will realize that a much more DETAILED STEP-BY-STEP user's guide on how to set up a shop FROM SCRATCH is more than necessary: I do not recall to have seen ANYWHERE in the online manual/wiki (i.e.:https://www.oscommerce.com/wiki/Managing_Languages)  ANY indication that one should flush the Cache memory after changing settings in general (have general settings really anything to do with languages since it appears languages are the only ones to blame for the repeated issues I am having so far!?) and languages?

My point is, once again, that there are TOO MANY connections between a single function or feature and the remaining hundreds of features that cause the shop to run as it shouldy, to afford the luxury NOT TO specify them in a manual, in details. Otherwise, the risk of running into a series of (frustrating) issues, one after another, exactly as it is now happening to me, is more than actual. 

The new OSCv4 kind of reminds me the cockpit of an airliner: it is full of controls, functions, features and possibilities. Too bad that the approach being used so far is not to train pilots on both the methods and procedures that are essential to make the airliner fly, instead they are being left to discover what is THE next move to make to get the airliner in the sky and fly to a given destination by repeated attempts. A word to the wise: if you do that in the real world, you have crashed your airplane into a wall even before getting it on a runway...🤔

4 hours ago, pandrei said:

Flushed the WHOLE cache just now and:

1) after THIRTY MINUTES, this is all I get onscreen:

image.thumb.png.421f9c2e91b8d5c83ee66ad31f276a61.png

2) ALL the recently added products along with the "Featured Products" and "Sales Features" tab have disappeared from homepage;

3) these issues: 

• most of the times it will not work correctly (i.e.: the hand moves nothing) unless I refresh the page;
  • I have moved one sub-category from my top category to another category immediately below: while I can do that with the drag-and-drop feature, moving the very same sub-category back to the category where it originally belonged, does NOT work. If I want to to that, I have to use the three-step button procedure I previously mentioned;
  • if I try to move one sub-category from either my top category or another category below it, that will work, however, once again moving the very same category back to the (top) category where it originally belonged does NOT work;
  • moving the main categories up and down by drag-and-drop does NOT work.

are still there as if NO Cache memory flushing had ever happened. 

Ain't that just ridiculous? 🤨

Hello Mendoh,

I understand that you tried to do what I told you. But when I saw your site you already had the broken translations for French and Spanish translations. Unfortunately I did not pay attention to your English translation then.

At the moment you have broken all translations, including English. Here is a screenshot from your site:

Broken_English.png.b63e4d1f138edf1a3f71b7224c8f2c43.png

As you can see, you have only 5797 English keys. And the values in the Key and Entity columns are completely wrong.

The below screenshot is taken from the osCommerce v4.11 with installed French and Spanish translations from the App Shop:

Valid_Translations.thumb.png.333fdffce0040c442574426ad8070306.png

As you can see we have 6809 English keys and 6803 keys for French and Spanish translations.

What should you do? If you are agree:

1) do a backup for your database (Settings->Tools->Database Backup). Or give us the rights to this page and we do it for you.

2) export and save your Italian translation

3) let me know if you are ready and I will try to restore your English translations

18 minutes ago, mendoh said:

The more, the merrier...clicking on New Products ANYWHERE in the shop gives this:

please contact us if you see this page

As I said before:

On 3/20/2023 at 10:17 PM, pandrei said:

Unfortunately the current osCommerce versions rely heavily on language files. Almost any of the pages can be broken due to incorrect translation.

1 hour ago, pandrei said:

At the moment you have broken all translations, including English.

After the very first OSCv4 release came out, I spent quite some time testing it and immediately noticed that English was the only available language. 
Then, I fully re-installed a totally new OSCv4 version just one month and twenty days ago. 
After reinstall was complete, the very first thing I looked for were LANGUAGES: since there were no French and Spanish language packages available from the app store, I decided to look all over the forum and I downloaded and installed the most recent French and Spanish languages that I could find. 

As soon as I installed those files, I immediately realized about the discrepancy in the number of keys, however, there was absolutely NO WARNING that I could find about that and, most of all, about what THAT DISCREPANCY could actually mean and imply. 

When I told Vadym I was about to start/continue/complete translation into Italian, he did not said a word about everything you are telling me now. So off I went with my tranlsation. 

Since it was clear to me that multiple language files existed, each one with a different number of keys and certainly I had to use the most recent one available to start translating into Italian, I decided to export the original English file that came with my fresh install and use that one as a base for my translation into Italian: upon completion and after uploading/installing it to my live site, however, I could notice the number of keys still did not match at all!!
So I used a file comparison utility and kept the hash key as the comparison base of reference but once again that apparently did not do. 

If language files, their keys and their interactions actually are (as they showed to be) THAT CRITICAL for the whole shop to work properly, THAT should have been MENTIONED to say the least. 
Instead, there was NO MENTION AT ALL and I had to discover it the hard way: I am impressed. 

On top of the above, this:

As you can see, you have only 5797 English keys. And the values in the Key and Entity columns are completely wrong.

tells me that I will have to re-work my whole translation, because even if I took the original English file that came with the install as a reference file for it, the most recent "evidence" proves that an unmatching number of keys is surefire proof it is not going to work as it should. 

I have enabled your access to Settings->Tools->Database Back-up and I am curious to see what you can do with the crippled site which I am now stuck with. 
Last but not least, if you export the Italian translation, please resend it to me in a suitable format for the current OSCv4 engine, so that I will be able to upload it and test it on my (next?) live shop once re-worked...

Hello @mendoh

That's the results:
1. Your previous database version was backuped here Settings->Tools->Backup
2. Your Italian translation was checked and reimported. There was a few little mistakes like missing PHP params (% instead of %s), superfluous line breaks and some keys that don't use anymore. It's ok now.
2. French and Spanish translations was reimported. It's ok now.
3. English translation was restored but I don't sure about it's state. At least it has a lot of non-used translations that you imported earlier with forum translations.
Also it has a wrong keys that can't be deleted from admin panel.
So, the state of the English translation is unsatisfactory. But we can't fix it with admin panel. It can be fixed only with SQL.

TranslationFixed1.thumb.png.4ae26ecd679faf9fae2a88d33449e3b3.png
4. The category page still has a problem and I can't say whу because of state of English translation.
Did you change any .php or .tpl files (except the patch I sent you earlier)?

4. The category page still has a problem and I can't say whу because of state of English translation.
Did you change any .php or .tpl files (except the patch I sent you earlier)?

Hello Andrei, thanks.

I confirm I did NOT touch any files that were not those you suggested to replace. 

Regarding restoring the correct English language via SQL: if you can provide step-by-step instructions and file/data to upload to SQL, I think I can do that on SQL directly.

Last but not least, in order to avoid repeating the same mistakes twice: please provide a file with English/Italian translation so that I can double check it according to the most correct and recent updates, then complete it if necessary and finally proceed with a language compliance test on a live shop. 

55 minutes ago, mendoh said:

please provide a file with English/Italian translation so that I can double check it according to the most correct and recent updates, then complete it if necessary and finally proceed with a language compliance test on a live shop. 

please send the file attached with a private message

Hello Andrei, thanks.

I confirm I did NOT touch any files that were not those you suggested to replace. 

Regarding restoring the correct English language via SQL: if you can provide step-by-step instructions and file/data to upload to SQL, I think I can do that on SQL directly.

Last but not least, in order to avoid repeating the same mistakes twice: please provide a file with English/Italian translation so that I can double check it according to the most correct and recent updates, then complete it if necessary and finally proceed with a language compliance test on a live shop.

Hello Mendoh,

Here is the instructions:
1. Go to the Settings->Localization->Languages and delete all languages except English
2. Close the admin panel
3. Use mysql command or phpMyAdmin, select you database and run this command:

TRUNCATE TABLE translation;

4. Use mysql command or phpMyAdmin to run an attached SQL script.
5. Run the following SQL command to check that all records are imported successfully:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM translation;

it must show 6807 records
6. Let me know and I will import your checked Italian translation and will check your category page.

I recommend that you to do the translation in the admin panel and not in csv files. It is safer because there are many nuances when importing/exporting csv files.

translation_en_411.sql

Use mysql command or phpMyAdmin to run an attached SQL script.

All done as per your instructions. 

Got this warning when importing your .sql file: Warning: #3719 'utf8' is currently an alias for the character set UTF8MB3, but will be an alias for UTF8MB4 in a future release. Please consider using UTF8MB4 in order to be unambiguous.

I recommend that you to do the translation in the admin panel and not in csv files. It is safer because there are many nuances when importing/exporting csv files.

Translating from inside the admin panel is going to take FOREVER. That is highly time-consuming and I just cannot believe you could not figure out an alternative and more efficient way to do that...