• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Added Categories won't show in shop

waverunner

On 11/13/2022 at 7:39 AM, waverunner said:

Hi everyone what am I doing wrong, I have stripped the b2b supermarked back to image label breadcrumb and then I have setup Categories as per the other image

But nothing will show up on the front end? What am I doing wrong

breadcrumb.png

catagories.png

Hi Troy,

Please provide us with the access details to the admin area of your website for us to check it further. Also please provide us with more detailed explanation as to what you expected to show up on the front end.

Best regards,

Ivan

Would it be correct to assume those categories have no products in them? In that case they would likely be hidden automatically unti they get at least 1 product. 

We would be happy to assist in building a template, or you could approach a development partner of osCommerce. Please pm if you'd like to discuss this further 

14 minutes ago, osCommerce-Official said:

Would it be correct to assume those categories have no products in them? In that case they would likely be hidden automatically unti they get at least 1 product. 

We would be happy to assist in building a template, or you could approach a development partner of osCommerce. Please pm if you'd like to discuss this further 

Correct, now I have added an item the menu comes up, I will play some more.

Yes would like to seek assistance of a template simular to our existing one. Categories down the left hand side. Home page with newly added items etc etc.

Edited by waverunner

10 hours ago, BernhardEriksson said:

I would assume Troy expected to see the categories Balsa Caron Plywood and Test 1. I have the same problem with not seeing my newly added categories.

Please kindly note the system will likely hide empty categories to simplify user experience. 

24 minutes ago, osCommerce-Official said:

Please kindly note the system will likely hide empty categories to simplify user experience. 

This is a great feature (I implemented something like it on my own in our old shop). Another way to show the categories (especially useful when you are setting up a new shop) would be ot change the settings for the theme if I understand it correctly under:

"Theme Settings"
"Main details"
"Show empty categories"

6 minutes ago, BernhardEriksson said:

This is a great feature (I implemented something like it on my own in our old shop). Another way to show the categories (especially useful when you are setting up a new shop) would be ot change the settings for the theme if I understand it correctly under:

"Theme Settings"
"Main details"
"Show empty categories"

Yes that's correct! It is possible to manage its behaviour there.

• 3 months later...
On 11/15/2022 at 8:53 AM, osCommerce-Official said:

Starting from the original "Watch" theme with its original homepage theme layout with (among others) Featured Products tab and watch products on display + New Products tab and watch products on display + Sales Feature tab and watch products on display + Best Sellers product list, I have just added three new categories and one product to one of those categories. 

I would naturally expect to see my new category and the product it contains on display ALONG with all the rest, instead, I do not see my new category at all and the original homepage layout is destroyed (Featured Products tab and watch products on display + New Products tab and watch products on display + Sales Feature tab and watch products on display + Best Sellers product list ALL GONE). 

The product I added can actually be found under the "New products" footer link only, yet there is absolutely NO trace of the product category which contains it. 

Why is this happening? 

Either the shop has so many correlations and non-explicit interactions among its many internal features that a much more detailed user's guide/help manual would be a must, or it is behaving unpredictably and I would really need someone to point me out here...

Thank you

16 hours ago, mendoh said:

Starting from the original "Watch" theme with its original homepage theme layout with (among others) Featured Products tab and watch products on display + New Products tab and watch products on display + Sales Feature tab and watch products on display + Best Sellers product list, I have just added three new categories and one product to one of those categories. 

I would naturally expect to see my new category and the product it contains on display ALONG with all the rest, instead, I do not see my new category at all and the original homepage layout is destroyed (Featured Products tab and watch products on display + New Products tab and watch products on display + Sales Feature tab and watch products on display + Best Sellers product list ALL GONE). 

The product I added can actually be found under the "New products" footer link only, yet there is absolutely NO trace of the product category which contains it. 

Why is this happening? 

Either the shop has so many correlations and non-explicit interactions among its many internal features that a much more detailed user's guide/help manual would be a must, or it is behaving unpredictably and I would really need someone to point me out here...

Thank you

Hi Mendoh,

Now we can see that you activated Maintenance page so we cannot check the issue with products and categories you reported.

In order for the products to be in the Featured section this option needs to be switched on. Please see the screenshot below.

image.thumb.png.6ab5f11c26ab2dc9d5bc9e1ce0d91b97.png

In order for a product to appear under the sales tab the sales price should be set up for it. Please see the link below.

Also we would recommend you not to make any changes after you ask a question for us to be able to see the issue you faced.

Best regards,

Ivan

19 hours ago, Ivan Holbi said:

Now we can see that you activated Maintenance page so we cannot check the issue with products and categories you reported.

Hello Ivan,

thanks for your reply.

I have removed the maintenance, so that you can check freely.

Thanks to your suggestion I could manage to get back the sales tab and the featured products tab, HOWEVER, I still cannot understand why the "new products" tab is still missing, after I added three new products. Likewise, none of the new categories (not even the one which holds one sub-category and three products).

Best sellers list gone as well but I guess it will come back as soon as one or more orders are confirmed for the new/recently add products?

Last but not least, I confirm I will not make any changes after the ones above. 

Thank you

Mendoh

2 hours ago, mendoh said:

Hello Ivan,

thanks for your reply.

I have removed the maintenance, so that you can check freely.

Thanks to your suggestion I could manage to get back the sales tab and the featured products tab, HOWEVER, I still cannot understand why the "new products" tab is still missing, after I added three new products. Likewise, none of the new categories (not even the one which holds one sub-category and three products).

Best sellers list gone as well but I guess it will come back as soon as one or more orders are confirmed for the new/recently add products?

Last but not least, I confirm I will not make any changes after the ones above. 

Thank you

Mendoh

Hi Mendoh,

You are welcome.

I checked your new product and it is marked as new until 31 Dec 2023 so it is correct. Please see the screenshot below.

image.thumb.png.d3f6734ff55e5c0c0dd7fc11a24ec264.png

But also the required number of days needs to be set up under Settings - Configurations - My Store to make such products visible as new. Please see another screenshot below from our test website.

image.thumb.png.43348af4e83f3437e6f64045af8dd789.png

We do not have access to this section of your website so please check it and set it up accordingly from your end.

Best regards,

Ivan

On 3/14/2023 at 2:15 PM, Ivan Holbi said:

But also the required number of days needs to be set up under Settings - Configurations - My Store to make such products visible as new.

Dear Ivan,

I have set up the required number of days for new products as instructed:

image.thumb.png.5566346c94b79affb247732768858591.png

then, I have added two new products to two different categories, however, still the "New products" tab with the new products added, cannot be seen on homepage at all...what is wrong?

Thank you

Further to my previous message:

on admin side, I have added one new category containing three new sub-categories and their layout is identical to the original "Watch" category plus its three sub-categories, i.e.: 

Watch (main category)

- for her (sub-caregory)

- for him (sub-caregory)

- for All (sub-caregory)

This:

image.png.c7b494a4a07eaa21175bac02b4656552.png

is what I get on shop side...neither the just added category nor any of its sub-categories will show, while the original Watch category does not show as opposed to its three sub-categories (they all show).

Why is this happening?

Also, I have noticed that categories under the "Categories" tab (inside Products (Brands/Categories) cannot be moved up and down by simply clicking on the hand icon on the left to make it turn blue, as opposed to what happens to the available sub-categories on the right (these can be moved when clicking on the hand icon and dragging it up and down)...why is it so?

image.png.16951ccd0de99f893b7b697d88125e87.png

12 hours ago, mendoh said:

Dear Ivan,

I have set up the required number of days for new products as instructed:

image.thumb.png.5566346c94b79affb247732768858591.png

then, I have added two new products to two different categories, however, still the "New products" tab with the new products added, cannot be seen on homepage at all...what is wrong?

Thank you

Dear Mendoh,

We are still checking this issue. As soon as I have more information I will let you know.

Best regards,

Ivan

9 hours ago, mendoh said:

Further to my previous message:

on admin side, I have added one new category containing three new sub-categories and their layout is identical to the original "Watch" category plus its three sub-categories, i.e.: 

Watch (main category)

- for her (sub-caregory)

- for him (sub-caregory)

- for All (sub-caregory)

This:

image.png.c7b494a4a07eaa21175bac02b4656552.png

is what I get on shop side...neither the just added category nor any of its sub-categories will show, while the original Watch category does not show as opposed to its three sub-categories (they all show).

Why is this happening?

Also, I have noticed that categories under the "Categories" tab (inside Products (Brands/Categories) cannot be moved up and down by simply clicking on the hand icon on the left to make it turn blue, as opposed to what happens to the available sub-categories on the right (these can be moved when clicking on the hand icon and dragging it up and down)...why is it so?

image.png.16951ccd0de99f893b7b697d88125e87.png

Hi Mendoh,

Regarding the new categories we do not see them and the menu looks different from our end. Please see the screenshot below.

image.thumb.png.3b39eb6631f71e74afc9d4fff5c75a91.png

This menu is set up here. Please see the link and the screenshot below.

image.thumb.png.c8822e1f00bd5923468ae11bbed5060e.png

So if you add the new categories or subcategories please drag and drop them from the Available pages section to the Menu section using the hand tool as it is shown on the screenshot above. Please also see the link below for further information regarding it.

Regarding "Also, I have noticed that categories under the "Categories" tab (inside Products (Brands/Categories) cannot be moved up and down by simply clicking on the hand icon on the left to make it turn blue, as opposed to what happens to the available sub-categories on the right (these can be moved when clicking on the hand icon and dragging it up and down)...why is it so?" 
yes, the top categories cannot be moved in the left section, but subcategories can be moved there. As for the right section all the categories and subcategories can be moved there.

Best regards,

Ivan 

1 hour ago, Ivan Holbi said:

Regarding the new categories we do not see them and the menu looks different from our end. Please see the screenshot below.

I cannot see them too. Despite I have added them, that is the issue. 

1 hour ago, Ivan Holbi said:

So if you add the new categories or subcategories please drag and drop them from the Available pages section to the Menu section using the hand tool as it is shown on the screenshot above.

I can NOT. 

They are not visible there, hence I cannot grab them and drag them AT ALL. 
I can only see them under "Products/Catalog - Products/Categories", they do NOT appear under "Design and CMS" - "Menus" - "Categories" at all...

2 hours ago, mendoh said:

I cannot see them too. Despite I have added them, that is the issue. 

I can NOT. 

They are not visible there, hence I cannot grab them and drag them AT ALL. 
I can only see them under "Products/Catalog - Products/Categories", they do NOT appear under "Design and CMS" - "Menus" - "Categories" at all...

Hi Mendoh,

1) Please confirm what osCommerce version you have now.

2) Please let us know where you took the translation files from. If you took them from us please provide us with their versions. In both cases please delete them and download the files with the new versions from AppShop.

3) In order for us to be able to check the issues you report please provide us with the access at least to the following admin areas:

Setting -> Localization -> Languages

Setting -> Tools -> Error log viewer

Best regards,

Ivan

6 hours ago, Ivan Holbi said:

1) Please confirm what osCommerce version you have now.

Hello Ivan, please see my feed-back as follows:

1. version # 4.11.55722
  2. I took the translation files (French and Spanish) from the forum. English was obviously already there. Italian translated from English file while carefully checking correspondence of all the keys
  3. enabled all the admin areas you requested. 

Last but not least and for your better information, if I click on the "New Products" link here:

image.png.e28dd1ba490dc26985ec0084e6b5e593.png

I get this: 

please contact us if you see this page

14 hours ago, mendoh said:

Hello Ivan, please see my feed-back as follows:

1. version # 4.11.55722
  2. I took the translation files (French and Spanish) from the forum. English was obviously already there. Italian translated from English file while carefully checking correspondence of all the keys
  3. enabled all the admin areas you requested. 

Last but not least and for your better information, if I click on the "New Products" link here:

image.png.e28dd1ba490dc26985ec0084e6b5e593.png

I get this: 

please contact us if you see this page

Hi Mendoh,

We checked and the java script is broken on the categories. Please see the screenshot below. Partially it is due to your taking the translation files from the forum (not from us directly). We could not find another reason for your issue since we do not have access to Modules->Extensions so we cannot see what extensions you installed. 

Best regards,

Ivan

image.thumb.png.e7c211241a37e6d6522ef9b2ef4e7b6b.png

8 hours ago, Ivan Holbi said:

Partially it is due to your taking the translation files from the forum (not from us directly).

Hello Ivan,

thanks for your latest message. 
Actually, when I first installed my new OSCv4, the only source for the language was the forum, so I took them from there. 

I have enabled the Modules->Extensions area for your perusal and inspection. 

Thank you

Mendoh

On 3/18/2023 at 8:38 PM, pandrei said:

that should fix the above javascript error

Hello Andrei,
thanks for your reply.

After replacing the existing "lib" folder with the one you made available, I guess I can say the issue has been solved. 
There are, however, a few things I still do not understand. 

First of all, despite there are three already-existing sub-categories and one product inside Products->Brands/Categories (i.e.: Audio recorders, Video recorders and Telephone recorders) and one of those (i.e.: Telephone recorders) has three test products inside:

image.thumb.png.c419c5ab5315001fa1253f9aa4dc09d0.png

when I switch to Design & CMS/Menus, I can only find the main category (i.e.: Audio and video recorders) a test product and only one (i.e.: Video recorders) of the original three categories, which is also the only one to get displayed:

image.thumb.png.91cad115251e451bc3030a9708b4037a.png

Why is it so?

Also, I have noticed that it is not sufficient to drag and drop the desired category from "Available pages" to "Menu/Categoried" for it to actually show up on the shop side. You will also have to name it again , despite it already has a name

image.thumb.png.d3d76c85fc546e85fb7ed6103c253653.png

Why?

Last but not least, there is also a  "Class" field and "Customers groups" boxes whose purpose is unknown to me: would you please explain?

Thank you very much

Mendoh

On 3/18/2023 at 8:38 PM, pandrei said:

that should fix the above javascript error

One more thing: I have noticed that, after re-enabling the other languages, a new category will not show on the shop side in any of the additional languages other than English, despite its translation is actually present in Products(Brands/Categories) / Category/ Name and Description / French or Spanish

How can I fix this?