• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce site and Forums update notice

Dear all, 

As we are about to launch osCommerce v4 live, we need to update the main site and the Forums. 

Thursday the 14th and Friday the 15th of July you may find both to be not fully stable. They will return to 100% stable mode by the end of the day on Friday. 

New additions and changes include:

- new App shop (although it will go fully functional later this summer) 

- unified design of the site, Forums, and App shop

- unified account 

- accounts for partners, authors, etc 

- new contents describing the system, partner programme, and other 

Have a lovely evening! 

@VladMalThat's disappointing. There is still a large number of shops using the old version and they may not be ready to move to V4 yet. I think they will feel abandoned.  And the older versions are still considered Oscommerce. Just my opinion but I think deleting those was a mistake.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Are you kidding ????

Have you removed all the apps that the community has produced over the years ?????

But who gave you this right ?????

You bought the osCommerce brand and NOT THE WORK THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE have done over the years to support a FREE platform.

Give us back all the apps and old versions.
At least put an old version that you can consult

+1 with @Jack_mcs

Place the old addons in an archive area accessible to those who will not be able to quickly upgrade to V4 due to the absence of addons specific to their countries, like France for me. Otherwise you will very strongly limit the distribution of V4 😞

with OsC 2.2 since 2006 ...

Thank you all for your comments!

Change is never easy.

While we appreciate the sentiment towards the old Apps Marketplace, we had to make the decision to disable it (NOT delete) as it just wont be possible to run it and the new App Shop on the same account system.

We welcome developers who are happy to support merchants using the old osCommerce but recommend an upgrade to osCommerce v4. Main reason is the old osCommerce 2.x requires obsolete server software, making it not safe and not secure. New osCommerce v4 is built to use modern (secure) versions of PHP and mySQL. That is besides all that it has to give to its users.

Those developers who would like to support their older contributions / apps are welcome to continue to do so on this Forum, however they will need to host their apps.

As to the distribution of the new osCommerce - it is a business decision of each merchant, developer, designer, consultant and alike if they want to stick to an obsolete 10+ years old solution, or if they would like to start using new, better, modern Ecommerce platform and also be able to earn from it

P.S. We would like to note that an archive of old contributions / apps will likely be made available, a separate notification will follow

P.P.S. Please be rest assured that we have osCommerce's best interests in heart. We have and will exercise the full right to run and manage osCommerce to ensure it produces the best value for its users, be them merchant or developers. osCommerce was in decline for years, and it is now that we are looking to making it a mainstream Ecommerce solution again.

I do hope that the archive of apps is made available again someway, sometime soon. I was caught by surprise by the disappearance. I do like the version of osC I am using, it is working to my satisfaction. I did try a beta install of v4 and found it complicated. Understanding that it is dated, I like the simplicity of osC 2.3.4, it is not stuffed with things I will never need. I would like to update/add a few things and now can not do that. I think it may be a good thing if the new owners would allow the archive be hosted separately, as rainton (thank you) is suggesting.

I understand the new owner's claim to the right to do as they wish with this website since they apparently gave money for the osCommerce name. I do think it would be considerant of them to have offered access to the old system that so many people have put their time and effort into without asking for payment. I don't think those people were aware that someone owns their work given the openness that this website has had in the past.

But, this is the way things often are. Far too many companies do not support old products in any way, or even keep documentation of old products available even though the products are still in use.

I distinctly remember Vadym promising me when we skyped about V4 that the Addons for legacy osCommerce versions would remain accessible.

They were available from a subdomain called apps.oscommerce.com, (previously addons.oscommerce.com).  apps.oscommerce.com is now being redirected to app.oscommerce.com. It is therefore reassuring to know this content has not been deleted. 

I don’t quite follow the issue of it being technically impossible to keep “apps”operational on a LINUX server given subdomains can have their own PHP environments defined.  Albeit the similar names would be confusing. Reverting to addons.oscommerce.com would be more workable. But if it is impossible then I suggest they be loaded to a new domain alltogether. I am happy to hand over ownership of oscommerce.cc for that use.  We can imagine cc to mean community contributions, a nod to their original name. 

I should also point out that, apart from the fact people do need them, you use their existence in your marketing. You cannot claim to have 9,169 Addons for legacy osCommerce if they in fact no longer exist.

osCommerce Official Partner
www.ozEworks.com

Not to mention that millions of broken links are going to make it look like OsCommerce is definitely dead 😞

We should have left the apps directory in place and presented it as an archive area while placing a banner indicating that a new version of OsCommerce is available, creating the new apps directory for V4 separately, like everyone would have been happy.

with OsC 2.2 since 2006 ...

We will not be able to answer each and every one, so here're the answers to all of your respected comments and questions.

1. Old osCommerce 2.x is an obsolete piece of software, it uses old tech and shall not be used to run a business. 

2. We will never try to MAKE someone move to the new version of osCommerce, however it looks like a sensible business decision for every business that runs an online shop or develops such

3. Unfortunately same goes for the old modules and apps. They were great, but they are old and obsolete. 

4. We will never try to shut down anyone who created apps for the old osCommerce or offers support for those, however creating them for a new osCommerce is a reasonable business decision

5. There will be merchants and developers who will want to keep using old osCommerce and reject new osCommerce. That's fine. Change is difficult. Not from the software point of view, but more like going out of the comfort zone.

6. We can not and will not make everyone like the new version, and new business, the new osCommerce. IT IS OK! 

7. Those who do want progress, who want to have a business (be it merchants, designers, developers, consultants - anyone!) - we welcome you on our journey to a successful future!

P.S. Old apps will become available via FTP shortly. 

I think you're missing the point. You could have had progress and just let the old addons be. Now you risk losing both.

BTW its not only the addons, but all the information that went along with each contribution people have made over 2 decades.

Appreciate that at minimum the v2x app files will be available via FTP. 

If osC admin is not willing to allow the complete v2.x apps section of their website to stay alive, why not allow someone else to take over the apps website as it was using a different server and domain name? As Hotclutch mentioned, it is not just the app files, there was important information about changes to those apps. It is understandable that osC admin does not approve of using osC 2.x, but I fail to understand why osC admin has/will eliminate what has been built by the community over so many years? Many of those apps will run on updated and community osC 2.x systems that do run fine on modern server software.

It is hard to trust companies that do not support their old products, even if those products are obsolete. I use old computers. I use old cell phones. I use old cars. The stairway in our home is obsolete and would not pass building code today, we still use it. I use old IP cameras, I understand there are risks when using obsolete products. I have no expectation that support by osC admin would be active, archives are fine. A FTP site is not a good archive unless it will contain all descriptive text that went along with the files, all versions of the files, and is searchable so people can find what they need, as the old apps section was.

Great ideas are never obsolete. Old code can easily be updated to PHP8 and made responsive. Serious mistake removing legacy addons, in my humble opinion.

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

3 hours ago, Smoky Barnable said:

Great ideas are never obsolete. Old code can easily be updated to PHP8 and made responsive. Serious mistake removing legacy addons, in my humble opinion.

I agree totally - and i am convinced only by making / keeping the old apps available we can build back a vivid community for V4. Old V2 users will never come back once they find out there is nothing for them left here ... By engaging them in the OSC V2 they can learn about V4  - and step up to V4... Just my 2 cents.

Sad to see that the old addons section has gone.  I assume now that all the posts that link to those addons, and the help given to users of those addons on this forum, and on search engines, will be removed as there will be no need for them. Shame and the final death knell for old oscommerce.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

On the Home page you write:
osCommerce V4
245 add-ons *
169 live sites
228 historical sites
305,555 members **
1.7 Mill. forum postings

The Members were all linked to oscommerce V2.
The Posts were all linked to oscommerce V2.

So the Old information is not outdated for advertising ???

Of members and posts for V4 will be 1000 posts and 200 members.

Be consistent, put TRUE data and not Obsolete data.

If osCommerce V2 is obsolete ... why use its Glorious Past ????

@rainton we welcome any and all CONSTRUCTIVE comments and criticisms,. We will not allow negative criticism on this Forum. 

We hope you will apply your enthusiasm to testing the new version of osCommerce when it is out. You will hopefully find it useful for your own sites or such of your clients.

There is SO MUCH opportunity for everyone on this Forum,  merchants and developers, as soon as they are happy and ready to embrace the change. It is simply incredible!

Have a nice weekend! 

Interprise 3.0 OsCommerce Version 2.3.1, is a TPV + Web Store version made to invoice stores and sell through the web store at the same time, it is very large and solves all the problems.

If you want to see the program here I leave you access to the admin, downloads and tutorials
https://shop007.enterprise30.es/admin/orders_tienda.php

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 10:36 PM, osCommerce-Official said:

Thank you all for your comments!

Change is never easy.

While we appreciate the sentiment towards the old Apps Marketplace, we had to make the decision to disable it (NOT delete) as it just wont be possible to run it and the new App Shop on the same account system.

We welcome developers who are happy to support merchants using the old osCommerce but recommend an upgrade to osCommerce v4. Main reason is the old osCommerce 2.x requires obsolete server software, making it not safe and not secure. New osCommerce v4 is built to use modern (secure) versions of PHP and mySQL. That is besides all that it has to give to its users.

Those developers who would like to support their older contributions / apps are welcome to continue to do so on this Forum, however they will need to host their apps.

As to the distribution of the new osCommerce - it is a business decision of each merchant, developer, designer, consultant and alike if they want to stick to an obsolete 10+ years old solution, or if they would like to start using new, better, modern Ecommerce platform and also be able to earn from it

P.S. We would like to note that an archive of old contributions / apps will likely be made available, a separate notification will follow

P.P.S. Please be rest assured that we have osCommerce's best interests in heart. We have and will exercise the full right to run and manage osCommerce to ensure it produces the best value for its users, be them merchant or developers. osCommerce was in decline for years, and it is now that we are looking to making it a mainstream Ecommerce solution again.

Yes, you as admin can decide what you want, but as user like us, when we are not ready to move on the new plate form and it is not right you just disable the old addons while we are still rely on those addons to make our old version website working. Also we have the right to use old version, you just dont need to support, why need to disable the old addone links? The reason we use oscommerce these years is that lots of experts here gave their great support free and share their addons free. If you want to make money, that is fair enough, but not continue to support the old version website and disable addons, yes, I feel like we are abandoned and not respected. After this frustrated and disappointed new update, I dont think I will not continue to use osCommerce any more.

And special Thank You to the old version Oscommerce and experts who kindly share their time, knowledge and help, sorry you did not earn money from me but you earn respect from me.

45 minutes ago, ce7 said:

Yes, you as admin can decide what you want, but as user like us, when we are not ready to move on the new plate form and it is not right you just disable the old addons while we are still rely on those addons to make our old version website working. Also we have the right to use old version, you just dont need to support, why need to disable the old addone links? The reason we use oscommerce these years is that lots of experts here gave their great support free and share their addons free. If you want to make money, that is fair enough, but not continue to support the old version website and disable addons, yes, I feel like we are abandoned and not respected. After this frustrated and disappointed new update, I dont think I will not continue to use osCommerce any more.

And special Thank You to the old version Oscommerce and experts who kindly share their time, knowledge and help, sorry you did not earn money from me but you earn respect from me.

Old osCommerce is old. Outdated. Potentially volnurable due to old server software. Lacks features. 

Read all the reviews of it. See Google trends. What was once great went into decline and died. Despite having such a great potential, despite having this amazing community. 

New osCommerce is using new technologies, is safe to run, has plenty of features and has future. 

Experts are VERY welcome to add free or paid apps and share their knowledge. 

OsCommerce needed a relaunch to make it possible for real life businessea to use it. 

Why stick to something very very old instead of embracing the change? Everyone has the right to make their choice of course. But if you really want to see osCommerce live on - join us on our journey. 

Archived