• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Old dog last used osC v2.3.3.4 maybe back in the game

jhande

I shut down my website LONG ago. Not many sales even though I was on the first page of Google search results. I'm not a coder by any means of the word but I stumbled through all the updates, add-ons, etc...

Since I still own my original web name/address am thinking of creating a site for my wife and one for me again. I originally was hosted at Bluehost and they even recommended osCommerce and offered me some support with it. Now they are setup for and suggesting Wordpress which I know nothing about for ecommerce use.

Is v4 ready for prime time? Seems like not many forum post since 2021.
Is the layout and theme easily customizable? Or will I need coding experience?

One site will do fine with the horizontal menu in the header the other site would work better with the old "More Categories" style menu.
Something like this along the left side of the site when viewed on a PC.
Models
Cars ->
Trucks ->
Motorcycles ->
Boats ->

Paints
Testors bottles ->
Testors spray ->
Tamiya bottles ->
Tamiya spray ->

Etc...

I'm in the U.S. and looking for PayPal payment method and USPS shipping method.

I originally used XAMPP on my PC to test editing before uploading to host. Can I still use XAMPP or is there something else I would need?

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

9 hours ago, jhande said:

suggesting Wordpress

Wordpress has a lot going for it but is not a shopping cart. So if you are looking to sell products it would be a mistake, in my opinion, to use it.

Is v4 ready for prime time?

They just released Beta 2 of it. There's no announcement as to when the final version will be out though they keep saying soon.

Is the layout and theme easily customizable? Or will I need coding experience?

It comes with a number of features that were not included in older versions. There is also a way to alter the appearance that they say is easy, though I've not had time to play with it. From their descriptions, the coding needed to make changes is far less than the older versions.

I'm in the U.S. and looking for PayPal payment method and USPS shipping method.

Paypal is included. I'm not sure about USPS.

You may want to ask in one of the threads where someone from oscommerce can better answer your questions, like this one

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you Jack.

I believe using Wordpress for ecommerce a plugin or addition is required. I think Bluehost offered the bundle according to a support tech I talked to. It didn't make sense to me so I am shying away from that setup.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -