• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Order Status Updates bouncing back from Gmail adresses

Hotclutch

@Hotclutch Did this just start in the last week or so, or did you only just notice it in the last week or so?

If it just started, you may need to speak to who is hosting your site(s), and ask what's changed.

I do recall that there has been a long history of email issues if the 1) sending email address, 2) reply to email address, and 3) your web site's address .... are not the same. You can search the forum for this. IIRC, it happened with both GMail and Yahoo email addresses.

HTH

M

4 minutes ago, ArtcoInc said:

@Hotclutch Did this just start in the last week or so, or did you only just notice it in the last week or so?

If it just started, you may need to speak to who is hosting your site(s), and ask what's changed.

I do recall that there has been a long history of email issues if the 1) sending email address, 2) reply to email address, and 3) your web site's address .... are not the same. You can search the forum for this. IIRC, it happened with both GMail and Yahoo email addresses.

HTH

M

I started noticing about a week ago. Its definitely some code in the Admin, because I have at least 2 sets of Admin files to test with. On the one set everything is fine, then on the other the mails bounce back. Its only order status update mails. The create account welcome email is fine. It's only gmail addresses also. I think it has to be admin/order.php -> maybe the tep_mail function. I will keep looking.

Subject is fine as is. Working now.

I checked the admin email class after reading Henry's post and then checked it against Bootstrap osCommerce.

The difference is here in the send function.

$additional_parameters = '';

if ((PHP_VERSION > '5.3') || ((bool)ini_get('safe_mode') === false)) {
        $additional_parameters = '-f' . $from_addr;
      }

return mail($to, $subject, $this->output, implode($this->lf, $headers), $additional_parameters);

@Hotclutch As I stated in my earlier post, some email servers (like GMail) required a proper "sending email address" (from_address) and/or reply_to_address n the email header. Your code segment is adding the from_address to the email header if the version of PHP is newer than 5.3, and you say that this seems to fix the problem. Thank you.

A couple of questions ...

1) Is there anything in the PHP mail() function in versions earlier than v5.3 that would crash if the -f parameter is added?

2) If not, why not include the additional -f parameter always, and not even bother testing for the PHP version?

3) And lastly, is anyone still running PHP versions earlier than v5.3? (rhetorical question, no answer needed)

Malcolm

58 minutes ago, ArtcoInc said:

@Hotclutch As I stated in my earlier post, some email servers (like GMail) required a proper "sending email address" (from_address) and/or reply_to_address n the email header. Your code segment is adding the from_address to the email header if the version of PHP is newer than 5.3, and you say that this seems to fix the problem. Thank you.

A couple of questions ...

1) Is there anything in the PHP mail() function in versions earlier than v5.3 that would crash if the -f parameter is added?

2) If not, why not include the additional -f parameter always, and not even bother testing for the PHP version?

3) And lastly, is anyone still running PHP versions earlier than v5.3? (rhetorical question, no answer needed)

Malcolm

You mean in the osC tep_mail functions? I did not have to change anything on those 2 functions (catalog/admin side). My tep_mail functions are still the same as the original code of 2.3.4.1

This is a piece of the returned message from the Gmail server (when the problem existed).

mail.png.5515f3bf01b238da1351ef4e2e54f851.png

Archived