• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Transfer 2.3 to 2.3.41 with fresh install

aespinal2

I want to get rid of my old store (2.3) and do a fresh install of 2.3.41. I am setting up the fresh install of 2.3.41 in a new directory or new site to make sure everything works properly. How do I transfer all of the old orders, all of the customers and all of the products, smoothly? I don't know much about mysql, so please speak in beginners langauge, if you give instructions.

You can use MySQL Workbench or do it through phpMyAdmin. There are other database migration tools, but these are free and will do the job for you. Just read the instructions and make sure you make a back-up of your database first.

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=oscommerce

@aespinal2I don't reeal for sure but I think the database can be used as is. You may have to change the configuration tables, in the worst case. I would try just making a making a copy of the database and using it for the new one to see if that works.

With that said, it would be a mistake to update to that version if you have a lot of addons to install and appearance changes to make. There are two versions by members here that have made improvements to that shop. I don't know how well they work and they may not be free but you might want to check them first. Here's one of them.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

1 hour ago, aespinal2 said:

Only I want to keep the products and the customers.

Use a copy of the existing database as mentioned. Then empty the orders and sessions tables, and any others that might have data you don't want.

Or, open the existing database in phpmyadmin, or whichever program you use, and export all tables for products and customers (remember to include the address_book table). Be sure to check the add drop table option. Then create  a new database with the latest version and import the one you just created.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Sorry for so many questions...
If I install the new version on a different directory of the same site, import the database, which files do I need to copy to the renewed store?

2 minutes ago, aespinal2 said:

Sorry for so many questions...
If I install the new version on a different directory of the same site, import the database, which files do I need to copy to the renewed store?

You do not copy any of your old files to the new store.

The important thing is to have a database & file backup of your old shop in a safe place, in case something goes wrong.

Then follow Jack's advice. If all goes well, you will have a working (new) shop.

Archived