• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Flash from the past... but the "fixes" aren't fixing it for me... Function eregi() is deprecated...

OldPete

8 hours ago, Demitry said:

9. That last D-bag that pretended to manage osCommerce for years, basically wiped his ass with it. And, the new osC ownership have been MIA for months.

Oscommerce has been in a mess for years. After HPDL left things, the community took over and for many years kept oscommerce afloat, and did indeed upgrade it and got it working far better than anyone else had been able to.  Along came the new owners, kicked out the one version that was at least useable and have now left things in an even bigger mess than they were before then have not been seen for many months and no news.

Now there are several people all touting and attempting to sell  their own forked versions giving the impression that it is something new and something everyone should be using, whilst the community version is going from strength to strength doing its own thing under a new name and picking up new users daily. 

The best thing that could possibly happen now is that oscommerce were left to die a dignified death, as it probably should have done years ago.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

9 hours ago, Demitry said:

Ashley is just having some fun and trying to help those that still think osC is a viable eComm solution.

It's a pleasure for me to do this (W3 osCommerce), because i benefited from the contributions others have made over decades now. My main motivation though is to produce something that the community can have, and hope that contributors will return to the forum. Maybe that will take time after the damage done.

43 minutes ago, 14steve14 said:

Oscommerce has been in a mess for years. After HPDL left things, the community took over and for many years kept oscommerce afloat, and did indeed upgrade it and got it working far better than anyone else had been able to.  Along came the new owners, kicked out the one version that was at least useable and have now left things in an even bigger mess than they were before then have not been seen for many months and no news.

Now there are several people all touting and attempting to sell  their own forked versions giving the impression that it is something new and something everyone should be using, whilst the community version is going from strength to strength doing its own thing under a new name and picking up new users daily. 

The best thing that could possibly happen now is that oscommerce were left to die a dignified death, as it probably should have done years ago.

The worst thing Harald did during the last years of his tenure was to allow a certain individual and his clique to run amok on this forum. It drove a wedge into the community, and hugely disadvantaged everyone. A contribution or thread like mine (or Rudens) would not have been possible. It would have just been deleted.

The best thing the new management has done was to get rid of that clique. Hopefully the community can be repaired now and grow.

You really ought to be banned from here. Your heart/support is with Phoenix - which is fine. But then go post your drivel on that forum and leave the rest of us in peace. 

Once again, this thread has moved from the original topic, and devolved into a bunch of (imho) useless bickering. This seems to happen a lot on this forum. And yes, I will accept some responsibility for my part in this. Those of us that have been around for a while know the history, and have opinions on what happened, and what should have happened. Rehashing this over and over has no benefit, and drags threads off topic.

So please note: if this continues, I will go back and hide all posts in this thread (including mine) that went off topic. Ok?

Oh, and @Demitry , I was not referring to you for the "doom and gloom" comment. I apologize if you took it that way.

M

12 hours ago, 14steve14 said:

Time to cut the apron strings. If you can't code, move on.

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

It's a pleasure for me to do this (W3 osCommerce), because i benefited from the contributions others have made over decades now. My main motivation though is to produce something that the community can have, and hope that contributors will return to the forum. Maybe that will take time after the damage done.

Yeah, I totally get that.

Oh, and @Demitry , I was not referring to you for the "doom and gloom" comment. I apologize if you took it that way.

Well, then I owe you an apology for going into defense mode and writing an f-ing book of a post.

I’m actually surprised that anyone read my rant. I’ve had shorter manifesto tirades before going on a shooting spree at a local Walmart. …er,.. or was it a shopping spree?, ..eh, whatever, the beer is still cold!

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=oscommerce

Hello

I agree with Dimitry, not simple to maintain a software, the e-commerce environment has changed a lot and this community do not knew to manage that. Now, what's happen with V4, I do not know, the communication is low and it seems there is some pb recently to resolve, maybe we will have something, but what, The business model must go on free / paid module with possible SAS solution, maybe like prestashop.

What I see now, the little company want something lite, paid monthly (SAS), not something has as Magento ... need a specific server and some maintenance (It's for the big company). T
The V4, what I tested in demo deeply, is the same approach as Magento. More functionalities, more complexities your must to manage and maintain (and I know that)
In summary, if your knowledge in PHP, on different frameworks, is no good and you do not want to invest time, it's better to migrate on another solution.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Archived