• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Change Products Model Based On Option ?

phi148

There is probably not an easy way to do this with how OSCommerce is constructed... but maybe there is a way (or maybe someone has already done this).

Is there a way to change the Products Model of a product based on an option that is selected?

For example.

By default, if a customer clicks on a Widget that is for sale, it is standard in the black color (and "black" is the default selection in a color dropdown box).

Products Model is WIDGET-BLK by default.

Then if the customer chooses red as an attribute from the color dropdown box, the model number automatically changes to WIDGET-RED when they add to cart?

There is no easy way to do this with V2. You would have to introduce new code, and on top of that you would have to go back to each attribute and specify a model number to it.

There is an indication in the new V4 osCommerce that attributes will behave this way or close to what you describe. So V4 might be worth your while waiting for.

11 hours ago, phi148 said:

Is there a way to change the Products Model of a product based on an option that is selected?

Are you sure you need to change the model number? It sounds like you need to change the selected attribute. If that is the case, install one of the attributes with color addons, like this one. The customer than then select by color, or option in other addons, and that will carry through the order.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

9 hours ago, Hotclutch said:

There is an indication in the new V4 osCommerce that attributes will behave this way or close to what you describe. So V4 might be worth your while waiting for.

1313841334_2021-08-0221-10-08.thumb.png.3017a0b8ec12b114ecec8d2822cfc162.png

Only field price and weight.

So, in a nutshell, yes I do need the product Model Number to change.

I have some manufacturers that have different model numbers based on the color of the product.

So, for example if a Widget is available in 3 colors, I don't want to list 3 different widgets.

I want to list 1 widget with a 3 color dropdown box.

However, when the customer adds the product to their cart, I want the model number to be updated to something like WIDGET-BLACK, WIDGET-RED, WIDGET-WHITE for example.

We dropship products.  So, when I send in an order, I always have to manually change the Model Number based on the color that was chosen by our customer. It is a major pain in the ass and can lead to user error when I submit orders.

On 8/2/2021 at 3:33 PM, ruden said:

werewolf.com.ua/ru/livas although there is a model tied to id

Yes!  Just like that.  When a user selects a color, you can see the ID of the model change.

On 8/2/2021 at 3:41 AM, Hotclutch said:

There is no easy way to do this with V2. You would have to introduce new code, and on top of that you would have to go back to each attribute and specify a model number to it.

This sounds like a great feature... thank you for the heads up!

@phi148

Hey Bill,

I think this might fit what you're looking for. This is an old addon and needs to be brought up to date. And may need some modifying. Check it out and look at the Usage section at the bottom of the install.txt file to see how it works.

https://apps.oscommerce.com/UqVEo&attribute-product-codes-v1-0

I think this is ok for products with less than 4 options. See what you think.

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=oscommerce

On 8/7/2021 at 6:51 PM, Demitry said:

@phi148

Hey Bill,

I think this might fit what you're looking for. This is an old addon and needs to be brought up to date. And may need some modifying. Check it out and look at the Usage section at the bottom of the install.txt file to see how it works.

https://apps.oscommerce.com/UqVEo&attribute-product-codes-v1-0

I think this is ok for products with less than 4 options. See what you think.

Thanks Demitry, I'm going to take a look now.... will keep you guys posted!

Archived