osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Custom templates

netteria

some issue i have.

if i click on "widget groups" while customising theme i get

Error
An internal server error occurred.
The above error occurred while the Web server was processing your request.
Please contact us if you think this is a server error. Thank you.

i have been trying to add the left hierarchy of categories like the old version.
so i am understanding now this is a widget that does not exist? is the correct?  only the demo widget which is a toolbar logo type does?

i can add the stock categories widget to the home page, but further to this, if i go to the "product" page in the theme edit to add the "categories" widget also. it does not show up? why?

w3_1-min.png.4d7a783c4d26e0bbe4a49b57cbf356a9.png.eb2269efff2d399af72efbd9d6b96def.png

On 9/6/2022 at 3:44 PM, Yak39 said:

Personally I did - while the step by step is sufficiently clear, I believe it's also a good draft to highlight some "issues":
look at figure 3: the numbers of menus to customize all the items via editor is really massive, and that's essentially for just a couple of CSS lines of code. That's why I believe the general view over here is that if you want to onboard pro designers you need to provide a clear file structure for a developer.
That goes especially for widget, where it feels like most of the design architecture is located there.
That said I also think no one here wants to criticize your choice on having an editor: to be the first time OSC has one I believe is quite impressive and a good compromise that is reminiscent of Divi on WP. But its flexibility and UX limit a lot probably a standard power user. For UI devs instead it's probably  quite limiting.
What is easier to fix to onboard more community? probably couple of lines to describe structure and components interaction to some developers? 😉

Hi,

Regarding creating widgets please see the link below (the end of Finish simple extension section)

https://wiki.oscommerce.com/index.php?title=Creating_Extension_from_Scratch

Best regards,

Ivan

On 9/5/2022 at 7:22 PM, Yak39 said:

How to I work on a layout without using the onboard editor, and work directly from code?
How do I build a new widget or modify the code of an existing one?

Hi,

Regarding creating widgets please see the link below (the end of Finish simple extension section)

Best regards,

Ivan

1 hour ago, Ivan Holbi said:

Hi,

Best regards,

Ivan

Thank you, it seems an extensive guide and I'm going to read it carefully.  could I also get an answer to the previous question?

• 5 weeks later...

@mafiousoI have a number of issues, one related to themes, that have been unanswered for over a month. My guess is that the owners are behind due to the war. Though a post to say, at least, that would be nice.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

18 hours ago, mafiouso said:

anyone had any luck with a custom theme? its been quiet.

my store upgrade is pretty much dead in the water because its too hard to redesign. 

I had to abandon v4 for the two new sites I launched earlier this month. I stuck with what I knew and that was a mashup of 2.3.4 and phoenix. Since the 4 sites in this current project all use the same master product database I had thought that the multi channel paradigm might be perfect, but I couldn't get the look and feel of v4 to be even close to what the first 2 sites were, and the client did not want any significant changes.

In the end I just wrote the new code I needed to run all 4 sites off the same database. I have all sites running on the same physical server, site 1 is complete with admin etc. Sites 2, 3 and 4 are mostly symlinks to site 1 with no admin at all. I just have separate language files, css files, and configure.php for sites 2, 3 and 4. It is not as elegant or functional as v4 is, but at least the customer experience matches expectations. 

Since I am now committed to v2.3.4 in its various forms for the next few years at least, I'll be just having an occasional look here at v4 to see how it's coming along.