• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product Comparison and Filters

Hotclutch

I see on the dev site there is a product comparison feature but it appears to be under construction still. Will this be ready in the V4 release, and more importantly will there be a filtering function available ?

24 minutes ago, Hotclutch said:

I see on the dev site there is a product comparison feature but it appears to be under construction still. Will this be ready in the V4 release, and more importantly will there be a filtering function available ?

Ashley, good question, thanks! 

All those features are already present and are being used by multiple websites.

The way it works is as follows:

1. Products have a thing called Properties. Properties can be of several different type, and are used to describe products in a more structured way than simply product description. It is possible to consider properties as technical specification.

2. Filters are dynamic and are created based on properties in the current product listing 

3. Product comparison works off the properties too (and price, stock, description, etc) 

Please take a look at some examples attached to this post.

Also this site uses filters on different categories: https://www.drinksdirect.com/ (but not the compare feature)

osc filters 3.png

osc filters 2.png

osc filters 1.png

9 minutes ago, Hotclutch said:

That looks very good. And the filter URL has a SEO URL name it seems. Very good.

Thanks, glad you like it :) 

Also, it is possible to use site-wide SEO redirects to "shorten" longer URLs before adding them to newsletters, social media posts, etc 

With the trade account feature - what sort of options are there ? I would like to control trade accounts on an annual spend basis. So if a trade account customer spends X amount in the last 12 months they quality for Y % discount on all products as long as they maintain that annual spend amount. If their spend amount drops below the X value at any given time, then pricing reverts to normal customer pricing.

4 minutes ago, Hotclutch said:

With the trade account feature - what sort of options are there ? I would like to control trade accounts on an annual spend basis. So if a trade account customer spends X amount in the last 12 months they quality for Y % discount on all products as long as they maintain that annual spend amount. If their spend amount drops below the X value at any given time, then pricing reverts to normal customer pricing.

There doesn't exist an automated method at the moment, although it is an interesting idea indeed!

It is possible to have multiple price groups, each with certain default discount and other settings. Then products can be made available or not available for a customer group. Product price can be calculated with the default discount or made completely custom for a group (especially useful when integrating with ERP solutions). Certain payment and shipping methods can be enabled or disabled for a customer group.

I mean any customer can register as a trade account and then claim the discount you have applied to that group. Then they maybe never buy again. Conversely there may be regular customers who do buy a lot and do not get any discount because they are not in the trade group.

1 minute ago, Hotclutch said:

I mean any customer can register as a trade account and then claim the discount you have applied to that group. Then they maybe never buy again. Conversely there may be regular customers who do buy a lot and do not get any discount because they are not in the trade group.

Yes, totally understood the idea. 

Usually it would be done by the shop management team in the "back end" but having an automated method to switch between levels would be a nice feature. Will add to the list of features to consider, thanks!

1 hour ago, Hotclutch said:

I supposed you can achieve this in a small way with a points system. Think i saw a points system on one of the sites you posted. Is the points system stock in V4 also ?

Yes, Loyalty Points is a part of osCommerce v4 in this or that way. Will do yet another post soon about it!