• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Typical "How to" questions

(Should this be somewhere else ?)

I am now trying to install 4.12 on a Windows machine with Apache 2.4 and PHP 8.1
It is hanging at step 2, unpacking.
Doesn't fail the page, just sits there with the spinner going.

I have found many posts on this subject but all from nearly 20 years ago!

Can anyone help me with 2023 issues ?

I have read https://www.oscommerce.com/wiki/index.php?title=Installing_osCommerce_v.4.0

It may be that the cause is Windows Zip Is Rubbish.

Tests:
I unzipped the app files zip on local linux, it took seconds.
I used jar-xf on my local windows box and it took ~5 minutes to unpack.

The Extract Files on the remote windows box is still going, it's been ages!! At 42% and claims 55 minutes to go !

Edited by D.M.

How to...
so how to mamually edit the html for the themse? the built in theme editor needs a lot of work from what I can see - have messed about with it for close on a week now and have yet to manage to edit any part of a theme (built in one 7 a blank created test theme)...
On the older 2.3 versions you could just edit the template html/css directly and publish ..  so where is the html hidden? has to be somewhere ...
and what on earth happened to the old forums? All the old plugins? has something like nearly 15+ years worth of resources just been wiped? can't find an archice anywhere even ?

liking the idea of the new system and still poking about but without a definitive - this is how to do xxx which I could literally find an answer to on the old forums in minutes without even having to ask a question i'm sadly going to have to look to another solution...that would be a shame as i've used oscommerce now for a good few years...

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 5:48 PM, 14steve14 said:

How about

How to print multiple invoices, packing slips and picking lists for the days orders, plus print the address labels.
How to easy update product stocks, including buy in costs, recommended reatial prices and selling prices.
How to add comments to a customers account, including order comments on invoices.
How to change the invoice templates.
How to add customers VAT number  on B"B international sales.

There's more, but you already have loads I would imagine.

Hi,

There's more, but you already have loads I would imagine.
It seems like you have a comprehensive list of tasks that you need to handle efficiently in your business.

Hello,

"How to" get phone and email icons into header?

I'm modifiyng forniture theme but I would like to have phone and email contacts like those of print shop theme. I tried to export the contact widget from print shop theme and import into the forniture theme: I always see Phone but not icon at all. 

I don't manage to understand where to edit class= "phone-title"

On 8/9/2023 at 7:10 PM, eolomodellismo.com said:

Hello,

"How to" get phone and email icons into header?

I'm modifiyng forniture theme but I would like to have phone and email contacts like those of print shop theme. I tried to export the contact widget from print shop theme and import into the forniture theme: I always see Phone but not icon at all. 

I don't manage to understand where to edit class= "phone-title"

Hi Chiara,

There is no standard way to do it. It is necessary to edit styles and to write down something like:

.phone:before {
  content: '\f095';
  font-family: FontAwesome;
}

If you PM me with the login details to the admin area of your website we should be able to do it for you.

Best regards,

Ivan

• 3 months later...
On 8/11/2023 at 10:16 AM, Ivan Holbi said:

Hi Chiara,

There is no standard way to do it. It is necessary to edit styles and to write down something like:

.phone:before {
  content: '\f095';
  font-family: FontAwesome;
}

If you PM me with the login details to the admin area of your website we should be able to do it for you.

Best regards,

Ivan

do you have a list of available icon's to codes that are used within osCommerce v4 please?

5 hours ago, simon5968 said:

do you have a list of available icon's to codes that are used within osCommerce v4 please?

This may not answer your question but those are unicode values for font-awesome icons.  You can look at the class that has the code and change it to a new one found on the font-awesome site. The mentioned code is for a phone icon.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 months later...

When pondering typical How to questions, individuals likely seek practical guidance for various tasks or challenges. They may desire step-by-step instructions,

troubleshooting tips, or expert advice to successfully navigate... unfamiliar processes or achieve desired outcomes efficiently and effectively.