• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New management and osCommerce v4

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/18/2021 at 11:35 PM, osCommerce-Official said:

v4 of osCommerce will be made available through the main website at www.osCommerce.com and, likely, GitHub or similar in due course. We are working on rolling the Beta out and will keep you posted via the Forum. Thanks!

Great! Looking forward to it 👍

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 10:08 PM, osCommerce-Official said:

We have just released the first Beta (Beta 1) to a limited number of first reviewers. Planning to do Beta 2 to all registered Beta testers in early December and launch v4 in early 2022. 

The first beta in november? Are you sure V4 will be released befor the end of 2021?

2 hours ago, psychopath said:

The first beta in november? Are you sure V4 will be released befor the end of 2021?

First Beta was released in November. 

Second Beta is about to be released in early December. 

Depending on the feedback we will be receiving we will release osCommerce v4 as soon as it is possible.

From your announcment in february " Development Partners and Beta Testers are always welcome! Please sign up via our Contact Page. We will notify you when the Beta version becomes available (likely in June 2021). Development Partners - we will make preview versions available to you, please indicate your interest when signing up for the Beta Program. "

No notify to my email and the releasedate has been pushed forward.
It is importent that you communicate what is happening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2021 at 6:19 PM, osCommerce-Official said:

Absolutely! We are working on the 2nd Beta at the moment and will release it soon to the wider audience of beta testers. 

When will beta 2 be released, earlyg december has passed

2 hours ago, osCommerce-Official said:

Working on B2 at the moment, and are looking to release it shortly. Will keep everyone posted on our progress! 

The big problem is that you never put the information in the forum if noone asks, you should be the first one to give us information if plan is changed.

2 minutes ago, psychopath said:

The big problem is that you never put the information in the forum if noone asks, you should be the first one to give us information if plan is changed.

Lars, information is put on here in order to update you on the progress. As soon as we have a download to share we will update everyone of course. 

• 2 months later...

it is stated "more modular in design".  does this mean it will be like phpbb (forum software) and wordpress.  meaning, you install the base software, any addons you just upload to an extension directory and activate (like phpbb) or download a plugin and activate it (like wordpress) so no core files are touched?

this has been the weakest points of zen cart and oscommerce, having to modify core files to get plugins to work and then having to modify more to add other plugins eventually something breaking down.

this isn't 10 years ago, this is 2022 and i hope oscommerce catches up on what wordpress and woo commerce is doing and i believe this is why more and more are moving to wordpress and their ecommerce plugins.  you don't need to "hack" files and plugins are updated to work with the latest version.

• 6 months later...

Hello @admin

I have just spent the last hour or so reading through this post. Now what?

What's the latest on v4?

A link from here to where interested visitors to this page need to go would be helpful.

Thank you, Shaun

5 hours ago, RAC said:

Hello @admin

I have just spent the last hour or so reading through this post. Now what?

What's the latest on v4?

A link from here to where interested visitors to this page need to go would be helpful.

Thank you, Shaun

You're welcome to download the latest version of osCommerce from osCommerce.com website. It is 4.06. Once downloaded (or you can use the Host with osCommerce option), you're welcome to use osCommerce wiki.oscommerce.com 

7 hours ago, jimdanforth said:

So v4 has been out 20 months.  The add-on are still coming soon, the support forum isn't getting questions answered.  IS this project dead since Holdi took over?

I'm afraid you are either mislead or writing this non-factual information on purpose. 

Assuming you are mislead, and are genuinely interested in osCommerce, I'll answer your questions here:

1. osCommerce v4 was launched on the 25th of July 2022. We are currently on version 4.06, and are about to release 4.07 soon. Each release brings fixes, changes, and new features. You're welcome to check our Wiki page here: 

https://wiki.oscommerce.com/index.php?title=Change_Log

2. The App Shop is coming soon indeed. There are some 300+ apps that need testing, describing, "wrapping" to make them installable. Unlike the add-ons of the past, the Apps are something that can be installed from the back end of osCommerce, very easily. The Apps can be updated when their new version is ready. Same as osCommerce by the way. We will announce the launch of the App Shop shortly. Of course we will welcome osCommerce developers to create and submit their free and paid Apps (and designs, widgets, etc) into the App Shop. 

3.  Support questions are in fact answered, in a VERY prompt manner, everywhere across this Forum. I can not think of a support issue that has not been answered. Can you? If so - feel free to draw my attention to it, will be happy to comment on it or ask a colleague to do the same. What you have written about support questions is simply not true as far as I can tell.

4. osCommerce was dead because of the previous owners. osCommerce community was dead because osCommerce was dead. Those that still hang on to the old codebase - and there are a number of people still - they need to understand it is impossible to use a codebase that is so many years old, it is not good for business, and not entirely safe either. It is time to move on to new osCommerce. Considering the 1-3 above, osCommerce is VERY much alive, more than ever in the last 10+ years. 

Holbi took over osCommerce in order to make it a success. To make osCommerce a global distributed open source Ecommerce solution for businesses and developers. To make it an Ecommerce solution of choice, to bring it back to life, back to the minds of decision makers when they choose an Ecommerce platform to build their new store with. If you would like to join us on this journey - you're very welcome to do so!  

Archived