• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New management and osCommerce v4

4 minutes ago, Jack_mcs said:

Is that an official date or just a guess? It is very worrisome that the new owners have totally disappeared from this site. Not even bothering to answer questions posted to them.  Their lack of presence here does not say much for their future support and is definitely not helping the brand.  @osCommerce-Official hasn't even visited the forum since June???

Jack, thanks for this post! The solution is being developed and we will be updating the public about our progress shortly. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/15/2021 at 2:33 AM, Fredi said:

Hello Demitry,

Many of today's programmers for OsComm were born in this forum over the past 20 years. Most of the clones and versions of e-commerce were born here too.

Thousands of store owners have learned the basics of programming right here.

Today's concept for most e-commerce products is commerce. Money.
For this reason, we see very frequent (necessary or unnecessary) changes to the code, which are primarily aimed at stopping the previous version and receiving orders for updating (modification, modernization, improvement, security, etc.).

I understand that permanent jobs and high wages are needed. This is also correct.

Hundreds of thousands of stores can be provided commercially. Owners will not program.
But there is a small number of people, perhaps 1 thousand, for whom this is interesting and who can dig into the code themselves.
What are these people to do?

🐻  :rolleyes:  :ph34r:

I've joined the forum in 2003 (18 years already!) with OsC 2.2MS2, and now still running 2.3.4. I learned how to fix few things here and there when it breaks, more like when you own an 18 year old car and already know where to look under the hood. Added the SEO .htaccess hack and I've enjoyed a smooth ride with a platform that is not resource intensive for the average shared hosting provider.

Having said that, I'm waiting for the new OsC4 and hope for a smooth transition. I won't be able to name all the add-ons that I've installed over the years, so it's going to be a long process to get it up to speed. Hopefully, the team has considered the many stores that are still working with 2.3.4 (and 2.2MS2) into the transition plan.. to make it as painless as possible.

On 7/15/2021 at 9:46 AM, osCommerce-Official said:

Jack, thanks for this post! The solution is being developed and we will be updating the public about our progress shortly. 

Define shortly.

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

On 7/15/2021 at 10:46 AM, osCommerce-Official said:

we will be updating the public about our progress shortly

@Smoky BarnableI think it must be a language problem. Here in the US, that usually means a week or two at most. But maybe in the Ukraine, or wherever they are located, it means by next year? :)

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I'm at my wits end with this!

I have three sites that need upgrading and there is no clear cut solution.

The holidays will be upon us soon enough and having a failing site due to expired coding isn't going to help.

The forks of osc are no better than the old code. 

My host is pushing a managed cart, but I always liked the way osc worked and how quickly you could get a solution to an issue.

I'm a week away from cutting ties with osc and doing something else. I have people breathing down my neck for results.

8 minutes ago, lyonsperf said:

8 minutes ago, lyonsperf said:

I always liked the way osc worked

There's a bit of a contradiction there.

Using one of the osC forks is a fine option until a new version comes along.

1 hour ago, lyonsperf said:

I'm at my wits end with this!

I have three sites that need upgrading and there is no clear cut solution.

The holidays will be upon us soon enough and having a failing site due to expired coding isn't going to help.

My host is pushing a managed cart, but I always liked the way osc worked and how quickly you could get a solution to an issue.

I'm a week away from cutting ties with osc and doing something else. I have people breathing down my neck for results.

Switch hosts. There are plenty of hosts that allow you choose whatever PHP version you want. Stop waiting for v4. The developer is clearly not adhering to any kind of time schedule and I very much doubt any open source code will ever be released.

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

16 hours ago, Hotclutch said:

There's a bit of a contradiction there.

Using one of the osC forks is a fine option until a new version comes along.

What I was stating is that the forks have not corrected many of the issues that the original has. Plus the support is lackluster.

What I am experiencing is people putting egos before common sense and refusing to listen to actual shop owners concerning everyday issues.

2 hours ago, lyonsperf said:

What I was stating is that the forks have not corrected many of the issues that the original has. Plus the support is lackluster.

What I am experiencing is people putting egos before common sense and refusing to listen to actual shop owners concerning everyday issues.

But your immediate problem is outdated code right? The forks have corrected this, some being php7 compatible, others php8. Some forks are to be avoided IMO, they are on an aimless development path, doomed to failure. Also the work required to patch old osCommerce versions now has become too much, and even then you're left without a responsive osCommerce.

You can have a look at these 2 threads:

On 9/1/2021 at 1:10 PM, lyonsperf said:

I agree. You would have thought that many ecommerce platforms would be developed for the store owners, but many seem to be for the developers.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Well, i've been using osc since 2008.

I am bailing and going to a SaaS cart with full time support.

I really didn't want to, but the lack of responses from the new owners have made it apparent that this is not a priority for them.

I wish everyone the best of luck.

@lyonsperfI only have a passing knowledge of SAAS but like any ecommerce solution, there are downsides to it. Some of those are the server requirements, cost, loss of easy expandability and loss of data from your current shop. So while agree that @osCommerce-Officialhas apparently abandoned this package or, in the least, their lack of presence here is abysmal, I suggest you compare the negative points of such a move. I assume you have done so but just thought it worth a mention. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

At the end of day, you can not place any expectation on free software. The previous management also made promises and never delivered many times. This never bothered me personally.

For me the best part of osCommerce has been, not so much the fact that it is free software, but the lean core package, and the treasure chest of addons that could be used to build a shop exactly the way you want it. 

Wrt to the new owners, i can only assume that they have changed their minds about making a release at all. How do you go from announcing a release 3-4 weeks away, to absolutely no feedback months later.

It would be really nice if someone took over oscommerce that actually had some serious leadership and communication skills. Someone who actually cared about the project. It is still a very unique and powerful software supported by the community for many years. Getting it updated to PHP 8 and made responsive is not a huge task.

- Rabindranath Tagore

On 9/7/2021 at 8:55 PM, Smoky Barnable said:

It would be really nice if someone took over oscommerce that actually had some serious leadership and communication skills. Someone who actually cared about the project. It is still a very unique and powerful software supported by the community for many years. Getting it updated to PHP 8 and made responsive is not a huge task.

The new owners got rid of the people that cared, and then thought they could do a better job. They had an oscommerce based product that they already believed was better than what was already available so they could have released that until they got v4 ready. Instead they came, they lied and they seem to have gone.  Shame really as it was looking promising for a while.

I think we need to be careful how we post. We are all disappointed in the new owners but we are still in their house so to speak. The people who care about osCommerce are still here, those with pure self interest maybe not.

In the end, its nice to talk of community and helping others, but lets not forget this software is supposed to be used to promote businesses.

The failure of the leadership to produce a viable updated and secure code endangers the livelyhood of all store owners that use it.

After 13 years of using osc, I have had to source out a different software to keep three stores from degrading due to lack of code updates and security issues.

The new provider has impressed me with rapid response to my questions as well as a functional demo that I could modify and try before committing.

3 hours ago, lyonsperf said:

The new provider has impressed me with rapid response to my questions as well as a functional demo that I could modify and try before committing.

Are they going to do the migration for you? See the links in my sig.

On 9/15/2021 at 1:08 PM, lyonsperf said:

In the end, its nice to talk of community and helping others, but lets not forget this software is supposed to be used to promote businesses.

The failure of the leadership to produce a viable updated and secure code endangers the livelyhood of all store owners that use it.

After 13 years of using osc, I have had to source out a different software to keep three stores from degrading due to lack of code updates and security issues.

The community had been supporting the updating of the original oscommerce code for many years as the owner did not so there was a modern version based on the code available. The new owners took would not allow that software to be talked about here, but others are talking about their own cobbled together bashed and hacked code which is not official so something is a bit funny.

Enough with the complaining. This thread has now turned into grief counseling.

Instead, ask yourself what can you do to better the situation? ..solutions rather than criticism and grievances.

A couple of folks took initiative to patch older versions of osC in order to help less than a hand-full of others who are in desperate need to upgrade their failing old osC software. I look at this as a temporary solution while we all wait for the “next season of Breaking Bad” to be released.

Truth is, this software is dead and has been for a long time. Just look at this thread on osCv4. There are 30 people following it. If you didn’t get that, read that last sentence again!

And just to lower your expectations a bit more, ..if and when the new version is released, it is likely to be buggy and missing some key features. Though, those issues will probably be resolved in the following release.

Confucius say, “Man who want pretty nurse, ..must be patient.”

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=oscommerce

18 hours ago, Demitry said:

Enough with the complaining. This thread has now turned into grief counseling.

Instead, ask yourself what can you do to better the situation? ..solutions rather than criticism and grievances.

A couple of folks took initiative to patch older versions of osC in order to help less than a hand-full of others who are in desperate need to upgrade their failing old osC software. I look at this as a temporary solution while we all wait for the “next season of Breaking Bad” to be released.

Truth is, this software is dead and has been for a long time. Just look at this thread on osCv4. There are 30 people following it. If you didn’t get that, read that last sentence again!

And just to lower your expectations a bit more, ..if and when the new version is released, it is likely to be buggy and missing some key features. Though, those issues will probably be resolved in the following release.

Confucius say, “Man who want pretty nurse, ..must be patient.”

Good point. No reason to follow.

- Rabindranath Tagore

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, gtcdev said:

hi,

where i can download the v4?

v4 of osCommerce will be made available through the main website at www.osCommerce.com and, likely, GitHub or similar in due course. We are working on rolling the Beta out and will keep you posted via the Forum. Thanks!

Archived