• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Marketing features

osCommerce-Official

osCommerce v4 has an extensive set of Marketing tools designed to help businesses grow, and at the same time - making it easier for Marketing managers and consultants to run their day-to-day activities. 

First of all, websites based on osCommerce v4 come with advanced on-site SEO modules. Each instance, like categories, products, content pages, home page, etc automatically receives an SEO-friendly title, URL, description, etc which can be overridden in the back end.

Site speed is of the paramount importance, hence most osCommerce v4 websites can reach 95+ in Google Page Speed tests (providing product, content, and banner images are properly optimised for web use).

osCommerce comes with Discount Coupons and Gift Vouchers pre-implemented. 

Same goes for Abandoned Shopping Carts (or Recover Carts). There’s a difference to the previous implementations though, as now it is possible to convert an abandoned shopping cart into a new order directly from the back end of the website.

Banner management comes by default, with facilities to create and manage text, image, or HTML banners. 

Advanced Promotions program allows creating various special deals and publishing them on the website. The likes of “Buy X, get Y cheaper” or “Buy any of the X category and get special price on Y category”, or “Spend X and get Y free of charge” and many more are now available. 

There also exists pre-integration with TrustPilot, Give away feature, Product Collection management, Testimonials, web Chat (based on Tawk.to), and Newsletter management (via integration with Mail Chimp). 

Have questions or comments? Post them here!

osc marketing 1.jpg

Thank you! 

It is very likely to have filters based on attributes and so called "properties". Whether it will be a part of the core version or will come as an add-on - this is to be confirmed. We are talking to osCommerce shop owners to understand what would be the best "default" package, aiming to deliver as much functionality as possible and at the same time to not overcomplicate osCommerce v4. 

SEO Filter Landing pages - this is to be confirmed. It is currently possible to create SEO-friendly landing pages, with custom URL, page title, META description, etc. and of course rich-text content. Again, we will confirm if such a feature will be included by default or will be available via the App store, free or paid.

Our goal is to deliver a robust capable Ecommerce platform that osCommerce shop owners or their web agencies can use to grow online businesses. 

It is good there is a focus on speed. Many solutions add features and then rely on hardware to make up for slow load times. We all know the story of Magento on that subject from years ago.  Shared hosting is still a reality for many open source users. 

IMO, the pre-integrations would be better done as optional addons as storeowners have their own preferred tools for reviews eg yotpo (popular in US), ESPs (numerous) and chat (also  numerous). Preference is often based on their penetration into different markets. Not to mention the bad press Trust Pilot just got for millions of fake reviews they removed pre-float. 

39 minutes ago, ozEworks said:

It is good there is a focus on speed. Many solutions add features and then rely on hardware to make up for slow load times. We all know the story of Magento on that subject from years ago.  Shared hosting is still a reality for many open source users. 

IMO, the pre-integrations would be better done as optional addons as storeowners have their own preferred tools for reviews eg yotpo (popular in US), ESPs (numerous) and chat (also  numerous). Preference is often based on their penetration into different markets. Not to mention the bad press Trust Pilot just got for millions of fake reviews they removed pre-float. 

Kym, we hear you! It will be our aim to find a balance between supplying a feature-rich solution, that will be fast, and at the same time not overcrowded with add-ons. It is very likely that some of the features you've mentioned will find their way to the add-on/app store, free or paid 

• 2 weeks later...

Please differentiate the specials from the campaigns.

You can have rules for discount vouchers, so that it can be used x times, up to a certain time, once per user, up to a limit ...

I do not know if it is from this area, but do not forget the price escalation quantity, the special prices per client and the groups of clients with their assigned rates.

6 hours ago, domiosc said:

Please differentiate the specials from the campaigns.

You can have rules for discount vouchers, so that it can be used x times, up to a certain time, once per user, up to a limit ...

I do not know if it is from this area, but do not forget the price escalation quantity, the special prices per client and the groups of clients with their assigned rates.

Thanks for your comments! 

The way it works in the current version of what will become v4, and it may change in this or that way, but still:

- there's the Coupon system, similar to what it was before for v2.x, with parameters like you describe (i.e. limited to x times, or y times per user, or to/from a certain amount, etc)

- there's also the Gift Voucher system, somewhat similar to what it was before for v2.x 

- there's a relatively simple "specials" feature where you can set special price to be valid till certain date 

- a very advanced Promotions feature that allows creating campaigns like "Buy X, get Y cheaper" or "Buy N of A, and get B for free", etc. 

- quantity discounts are available on products 

- it is possible to create customer/price groups and set either the default % discount, or set price per product per group

- it is also possible to set special price of availability of products per particular customer

Please note the above features may be split into one or more add-ons when we have v4 available.

More updates to come!  

On 2/19/2021 at 11:19 AM, osCommerce-Official said:

Newsletter management (via integration with Mail Chimp

I've integrated phpList using their RestAPI into our current osCommerce. Our phpList runs in the same server as our osCommerce.

Any plans to support phpList?

On 2/19/2021 at 11:19 AM, osCommerce-Official said:

First of all, websites based on osCommerce v4 come with advanced on-site SEO modules. Each instance, like categories, products, content pages, home page, etc automatically receives an SEO-friendly title, URL, description, etc which can be overridden in the back end.

If you change the URL in the ACP (Admin Control Panel), is there an automatic 301 redirect from old to new URL ?

1 minute ago, Hotclutch said:

If you change the URL in the ACP (Admin Control Panel), is there an automatic 301 redirect from old to new URL ?

Yes! When you change the URL manually for a product, for example, and then Save it, osCommerce v4 adds previous URL to the list of "Old URLs", which is effectively a 301 redirect list.

Same for categories and content pages,

30 minutes ago, zachris said:

I've integrated phpList using their RestAPI into our current osCommerce. Our phpList runs in the same server as our osCommerce.

Any plans to support phpList?

We didn't have plans for phpList integration as such, however if there's a demand for it - will consider as an app (free or paid - to be confirmed). And of course will always welcome you or another osCommerce developer to build their apps for the marketplace. 

13 minutes ago, Gyakutsuki said:

Just a little question :

Do you take in consideration sold out, pre-order ?

Thanks, Loïc! 

Yes, we do, actually. 

Every product can have a stock status and delivery status. Stock status can be something like:

- in stock (based on stock count)

- always in stock 

- EOL (i.e. will not be available once sold)

- Pre-order 

- Out of stock 

- Request for Quote

those statuses are configurable and it is possible to create you own, and set the system to act differently in regards to allowing customers to purchase and how stock is allocated depending on the stock status.

There's a system that can take supplier stock into consideration and "pre sell" it as if it was available. 

There's also a system that can take PO stock into consideration and "pre sell" it as if it was available.

Naturally, in both cases above orders will reach "received" status only when stock is actually recorded as incoming into the warehouse.

And of course, osCommerce users do not have to use all those stock solutions if their operations do not require them. However, for those businesses that would like to consider osCommerce as their main business management tool - the facilities will be there! 

Nice, about suppliers, one or multi by product ?
About the stock alert by default of all product or specific product (warning, out of stock), do you take inconsideration to send an email  to someone inside the company ?

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

11 minutes ago, Gyakutsuki said:

Nice, about suppliers, one or multi by product ?
About the stock alert by default of all product or specific product (warning, out of stock), do you take inconsideration to send an email  to someone inside the company ?

Multiple number of suppliers per product, with a formula to help the system decide which supplier to take stock / order from depending on their price, average order fulfilment time, etc. 

Stock alerts - will double check that; it seems it should be possible to find a workaround using the "default supplier" associated with a designated member of the team.

• 2 years later...

Currently I find that the Marketing Tools will only add products that I have manually added to OSC4 since import.

None of the imported products will come up in the INSERT find product box at all. Nothing or blank screen.

I have so far just added things directly into the backend, but this is not ideal.

Lorraine

On 7/20/2023 at 9:44 PM, herbsandhelpers said:

Currently I find that the Marketing Tools will only add products that I have manually added to OSC4 since import.

None of the imported products will come up in the INSERT find product box at all. Nothing or blank screen.

I have so far just added things directly into the backend, but this is not ideal.

Lorraine

Thanks for letting us know, @Ivan Holbiplease ask our collages to check! 

On 7/20/2023 at 11:44 PM, herbsandhelpers said:

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

Please provide us with more detailed information as to what Marketing Tools you tried to add products with as well as with the corresponding screenshots and samples. Also, please PM me with the login details to the admin area of your website for us to check it further if necessary.

Best regards,

Ivan

Hello,

I think I may have sussed the issue but I need to test it out:

The test product is in Top, none of the other products are. I think if I also add Top as a category to the products I want to use in Marketing Tools then I think they will be found. I’ve yet to try this out. 

Not sure if this is a bug or the way it’s supposed to work.

Lorraine

5 hours ago, herbsandhelpers said:

Hello,

I think I may have sussed the issue but I need to test it out:

The test product is in Top, none of the other products are. I think if I also add Top as a category to the products I want to use in Marketing Tools then I think they will be found. I’ve yet to try this out. 

Not sure if this is a bug or the way it’s supposed to work.

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

As a rule top category is not used anywhere so if a product is included in this category it is not seen on the front end. 

There is also the setting in the admin area that manages it. Please see the screenshot below.

Best regards,

Ivan

image.thumb.png.4dd874ea37e819e0308bc191f74a666e.png

Okay,

However on the search in MT the only product that can be found at all is the new example test product I added. The only category it has is Top and is the only one there. Everything else is imported from OSC2. 

MT search/insert can only find the test product nothing else.

I can insert other products via back end but this is not ideal.

I need to test if including products in Top allows them to be found in MT.

I was unaware of the hide categories in Top function so I need to check this also.

Lorraine

5 hours ago, herbsandhelpers said:

Okay,

However on the search in MT the only product that can be found at all is the new example test product I added. The only category it has is Top and is the only one there. Everything else is imported from OSC2. 

MT search/insert can only find the test product nothing else.

I can insert other products via back end but this is not ideal.

I need to test if including products in Top allows them to be found in MT.

I was unaware of the hide categories in Top function so I need to check this also.

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine,

Without the access to your admin area and without screenshots it is very difficult for us to figure out the reason for this issue.

Your products may not be switched on or assigned to the front end. Please also try to open your products on the front end by clicking on Preview on site button in your admin area. Please see the screenshot below as a sample. If you are able to see your products on the front end after clicking on this button there can be issues with the search itself. If you are not able to see your products on the front end please see the possible reasons mentioned above.

Best regards,

Ivan

image.thumb.png.c7bd6686caa2e85675cdf9221c725e37.png