• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New HSBC Bank payment processor service - well worth a look!

Some UK stores do accept Euro (like my local Sainsburys), but since the UK isn't actually part of the euro yet we pay by GBP ?.

Like freerangemum said, Uk stores accept the Euro currency to make shopping in the UK more convenient.

I didn't do it!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a question for everyone in the UK.

According to the HSBC API documentation, everyone in the UK pays in Pound Sterling while everyone else in Europe pays in Euro.

Is this true or will customers in the UK sometimes pay in Euro?

As far as the legality is concern, the UK is not part of the Euroland, therefore all the business transaction online in UK, tax etc etc are delt with in Uk Sterling.

However some shops in UK will accept Euros/Dollars to attract more tourists, but only in Cash at the shops. Not CREDIT CARD. Credit card are accepted in UK STERLING. (if it is a Foreign CC) the transaction will be in UK Sterling and then exchanged to the Currency of the CC.

Thanks for all of the replies!

I am awaiting a response from HSBC regarding a question I have about their implementation.

As it is, after the customer clicks on the continue button a hash is generated and then all of the information is sent to their servers. The hash generator is in Java and C.

I was originally going to use the Java version to take advantage of the cross-platform ability, but then a servlet (e.g. Tomcat) would need to be installed to run a .jsp (Java Server Pages) file. This is not possible for shared servers and not desireable for dedicated servers.

Using the C version also appears to need to run a .jsp file as well which makes no sense.

As such, I have contacted HSBC regarding this matter asking for clarification and am awaiting a response.

I have to say that this implementation is the most arse-backwards way that someone could have developed to implement a payment gateway.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

As such, I have contacted HSBC regarding this matter asking for clarification and am awaiting a response.

I have to say that this implementation is the most arse-backwards way that someone could have developed to implement a payment gateway.

Hi Jim,

Just wondering how things are progressing. Have you had any reply yet from HSBC? I'm hoping that you'll be able to get it sorted soon, let me know if you need me to help with testing.

BTW are you writing this to work with MS1 or MS2? If you're basing it on MS2, will it be easy to adapt to MS1? Or should I look into trying to get all my other contributions to work with MS2? :shock:

thanks, I really appreciate your hard work!

I have not received any response from HSBC at this point Lynda. :(

I resent my request for clarification eMail this morning. Hopefully an acceptable response will be received soon and this payment module can be realized.

I will certainly need help with testing since I am not an HSBC customer and therefore do not have access to their systems.

I am coding for MS2 as that is the baseline for future development for osC. If there are enough people that need a MS1-compatible version I will create one.

Jim

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - A. Einstein

I have received updated materials from HSBC regarding the CPI interface.

As I am not an HSBC customer, could someone that knows the url for the CPI interface please PM me with that information?

Once I have that, then I just need an HSBC customer to test it for me.

Jim, Posted a reply with what I hoped was the info you needed.

received a PM notification from OSC forum to say a mail was waiting yet nothing was there??????

Therefore I don't know if you got the info (or it was you responding).

Please let me know.

Graham :?

Hello Graham :)

Yes, I did respond to your PM saying "Thank You" for the offer but that others had already been kind enough to provide me with the information.

I am currently taking a break from work as my wife delivered our second child Thursday and am spending time with the family and assisting my wife during her recovery.

I should be back to it in a few days and should have the contribution available for testing a bit after that.

Jim

Hi

I'm no where near having a live shop, having installed more out of the possibilty and curiosity for now, but I'm impressed with the fervour of this topic.

So I'd jus like to say thank you for all your efforts now, as someday I may want to use or do something similar.

And now he has a second one, how soft can he/she be.

All the best Jim and, and , and

Roger

facts invariably distort the truth

Just to say that I have just received the Secure Epayments support CDRom from HSBC and I'm totally clueless as how to implement it. If any contributions/modules are being developed it would make things a whole lot easier.

I talked to HSBC support a while back and they said you just have to create an object. What kind of object . . . . . ? Help!!!

Have a good time . . . all the time. That's my philosophy on life, Marty

Hi Jim, Excellent work congratulations, perhaps you could get the little 'en to test the module for you :lol:

I dont know how far you've got on with this, but maybe either myself or Rahish could make a Image of the CD and pop it over the pond via ftp to you? That is, of course if it helps and you havent sorted it out already!

Contribs Written: Nochex APC Payment Module, Cheque Payment Module

Contribs Updated: Information Pages Unlimited, Latest News V1

You've gotta be Quick on the Draw in this game!

Sorry didn't realise about the new arrival. So congratulations.

I would also be willing to test. I could also zip up some of the documentation and java and c scripts if anyone requires them. Just let me know.

I went in for an information pack but the branch didn't know much about it apart from the cost of 3% plus ?300 per annum - though there are other options.

Seeing as HSBC are listed as an acquiring bank for Protx wouldn't it be easier to use Protx or am I msiing something?

• 3 weeks later...

I have the module completed and am awaiting a response from the HSBC support team.

The program they provided to generate the order hash needs a shared library file.

Unfortunately, the hash generator does not look in it's location for this shared library file but instead relies upon the server's global path.

As most user's of osC are on a shared server, adding the shared library file to the global path is not an option.

I have contacted HSBC to inquire about having the program recompiled to look for the shared library file in it's location. That is the response that I am awaiting.

I have to say that the person that designed the implementation for the HSBC interface could not have made it much more difficult or non-logical than they have. :(

I am sorry to say but I do not think that the HSBC payment module will become a reality. :(

Following is copy of my eMail to them along with their response.

Would it be possible to have the CcOrderHash.e program recompiled to look

for the libCcCpiTools.so shared library file in the same location as the

CcOrderHash.e program?

The reason that I ask is because myself and my clients that intend to use

your payment gateway are on shared server's and not allowed to have the

libCcCpiTools.so file added to the global path.

Thank you for your time and I wish you a good day.

Jim

Sorry, but you can not have the CcOrderHash.e program recompiled. This

is for Security reasons outside of HSBC.

Unfortunately, Shared Servers need to accept the fact that programs are

coming from HSBC. They also have to accept that they can not be recompiled, because of Security reasons.

Regards,

Mark Eastman

Secure E-Payments

0116 2818548

The first statement is pure rubbish as recompiling a program will not affect security as the shared object could be replaced by a hacked version at any time.

In fact, if the program would have been compiled properly to use a static object instead of a shared object, the security of the program would be greatly enhanced.

The second statement is very arrogant and obtuse of them. To think that every web host that has a client that wishes to use the HSBC modules should accommodate HSBC and install their programs in the global scope is absolutely ridiculous.

As such, unless Matt can figure out a way to re-compile the program to look for the shared object in the current directory, we are all out of luck except for those on a dedicated server.

My only suggestion is if you are really interested in using HSBC's payment gateway to contact them and inform them they need to change a few of their implementation details such as those mentioned above.

Thanks for trying Jim,

As I suspected, HSBC are making things difficult as usual. I am going to advise my client to go with WorldPay or Secpay or some other PSP. Any suggestions which would be a good altenative?

I will email Mark Eastman about this and if there is no solution then I will have to cancel the epayments account - which is a great shame. Is it ok to paste some of this topic thread in the email?

Rahish

Rahish,

I may have spoken too soon.

Thanks to the help of a few people (iiinetworks and ttm), there is now a re-compiled version of the program that hopefully looks for the shared object in the current directory.

I have sent the information on to FreeRangeMum's developer (ttm) and am awaiting a response as to whether testing went well or not.

If you wish to reference part of this thread I imagine that would be fine. Just remove the portions where I "comment" on their implementation and effectiveness. :P

I believe that most people are currently using WorldPay if you wish to use something until we can get this HSBC fiasco resolved (if possible).

Sorry to interrupt the technical side of this thread, but I just wanted to pickup again on rates. 3.06 / 3% are being quoted above, but I just called and got quoted 4.5%.

This seems to be the base that they are now quoting, as they did not ask anything about our turnover, or in fact anything about the business. Charges were quoted as ?200 setup + ?20 per month.

At those rates WorldPay seem cheaper (never thought I would get to use that phrase!).

Did those who have been quoted lower rates only get these after a meeting, or were these the initial rates quoted?

1) haggle

2) it seems it helps if you are an existing customer

3) haggle :wink:

That doesn't only apply to HSBC. Many banks/ gateways will negotiate, depending on your turnover.

Archived