• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Forum Testing Site

I'd prefer the developers spent their time working on OSC rather than screwing around with a forum script (hence the need for a good out-of-the-box solution - phpBB will never be that).

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See my previous post.

9 of the "features" listed in the post I quoted will be in phpBB 2.2 as well as most of the useful features that are in iB.

This includes enhanced moderator privilages and a massively improved permissions system.

Check out http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22 for a preview or http://area51.phpbb.com for access to download the latest CVS version of phpBB 2.2.

9 of the "features" listed in the post I quoted will be in phpBB 2.2 as well as most of the useful features that are in iB.

The key word here is "will". Not today but someday in the future. It looks to me like phpBB has to make "enhanced" and "massive" changes just to come close to the level of iB (and by your own admission only 9 of the 11 features are supported). What do you think the next version of iB will be like? Looks like phpBB will continually be playing catch up to me. :wink:

My vote is still with phpBB due not only to it's continuing great support and wealth of MOD's available but also that it's templating system makes it much easier to change the way the forum looks.

Add to this it's modular admin panel and well documented coding and it becomes easily modifiable also... that is providing that someone else hasn't already written a MOD to do what you want.

I used iB before moving to phpBB and it was the best move I made IMHO.

Me too goes for phpBB.

- the featureslist for the next release look good

- its open source as OSC

- i personally don't like iB

But the main thing is:

If the load on the server is much better with iB and the server can't handle phpBB any more then change.

Perhaps you should also set up a testing board with phpBB2.2 to compare.

The key word here is "will".

Still better the OSC. No officiall release out untill now ;)

We all work with daily snapshots and Millestones

Cu Henri

Can you test the search feature out and provide feedback on the results?

By default, the search results are by relevance, which might confuse some people as by default here on phpBB it's listing by date descending.

Ok... gave it a quick run.... just off the top of my head I searched 'order export'...... the results were..... most excellent! 8) That alone was enough to convince me....

Another point for phpBB2.2 is that in that release they are making massive improvements to the way the dynamics of the software work to reduce the server load.

One example is the new caching system for templates as well as the new "user" object that reduces the number of queryies needed on each page request.

My opinion is iB is ugly. For some reason I hate the way it looks! I have only posted on it and have never tried to install it myself. Mostly because of how horrific it looks.

I personally will probably always use phpBB, unless it dies or someone else comes along that doesn't look so gross!

That's the beauty of phpBB.  The massive community behind it making all these cool modifications as people request them  :)

I also agree with this. That is one of the reasons I went with OSC was because it was so much like phpBB in the community support and had great help with any mods I had done.

The search facility is much better on IB, and the look of it can be changed via Stylesheet.

I believe it is possible to set user-defained srylesheets also (eg if you have poor eyesite).

Most people use the Forums to find information, not to look at it all day. So what it looks like is of little concern IMO.

It is functionality that matters.

perhaps we need a forum with a built in spellchecker? I'm sure I'd appreciate it next time I'm logged on at 1am. :lol:

I believe it is possible to set user-defained srylesheets also (eg if you have poor eyesite).

Most people use the Forums to find information, not to look at it all day. So what it looks like is of little concern IMO.

It is functionality that matters.

The "problem" for this version (1.2 RC1) is the templates of 1.1.2 are not compatible - there are no available themes (yet).

Once there are I'm sure it will not be a problem to implement a few. They're indeed user selectable.

(For the old version there even is a phpBB SubSilver theme :D )

Mattice

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

gee, are we all starting to judge a book by it's color or shape.

Sorry but I prefer to look at the content and guts of something rather than by outward appearances.

Bad font issues with a template is much more understanding.

So, the problem is with templates? :roll:

Why not just ask someone from off the forums here to provide a design service. Harald and the osC team provide osC for "free" I'm sure somebody would galdly help out. (Which reminds of something ....)

I would but my design skills aren't enough to match the UK guy who design the subsilver templates.

NewsDesk(934) / FAQDesk(1106) / OrderCheck(1168) :::

why as everyone listing the "modifaction ability" of phpbb over ib???

Currently there are 1,143 Mods for ib in the offical ib mods database, I see less that 100 at phpbb

as for skins, there are 143 skins avaible at ib offical mod site, there are only 39 for phpbb

Just face it, ib is soooooooooooo much better and has just as big if not bigger support/hack community

Michael

I don't want this to be a phpBB vs InvisionBoard discussion based on technical features - no mods are installed on this forum setup, and no extra skins have been made available, so that voids the technical side because we are not interested in that.

What we're interested in is, what does the community feel more comfortable in? We, the development team, don't use the forums, it's you people :D

Tell us what you like better from what you see and from what you can interact with.

Search results play a major role here, as that has been the number one issue with this current forum setup.

The second issue deals with moderator access rights.

InvisionBoard deals with both issues better than phpBB (from what is available now, not what will be available in the future).

:heart:, osCommerce

I use the search facility more than anything. For that reason alone - IB please, however I am used to searching with the PHPbb search also now.

But new people to the Forums are not. Go for the solution that cuts down on the number of pointless posts from people because they haven't tried searching (or can't gt the right terminology to use the search function).

Also whether or not the Forum changes to IB, have a think about making the search link bigger, bolder, brighter - more "in your face".

The "problem" for this version (1.2 RC1) is the templates of 1.1.2 are not compatible - there are no available themes (yet).

Once there are I'm sure it will not be a problem to implement a few. They're indeed user selectable.

(For the old version there even is a phpBB SubSilver theme :D )

Mattice

If it goes down that route, TPTB could do a competition to create a skin, with a prize for the best ones. Bit of fun, but also rather off-topic for this thread! Oh well.

Getting back on topic, why not just change. We all know the limits of phpBB - people just want to hang onto what they know. IB is more robust, better supported, better features, less server intensive.

We all know the limits of phpBB - people just want to hang onto what they know. IB is more robust, better supported, better features, less server intensive.

I'll second that.

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Search ability :!: period.

Whichever has the best search results gets my vote :!:

:arrow: I like the idea about a template competition too.

NewsDesk(934) / FAQDesk(1106) / OrderCheck(1168) :::

We all know the limits of phpBB - people just want to hang onto what they know. IB is more robust, better supported, better features, less server intensive.

I'll second that.

I'll third that. I did one search and got better results that PHPbb ever gave me in many searches. IPB hand down, no competition.

Steve

-------------------------

Archived