• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Forum Testing Site

IPB does have a time limit on editing. That can be set to any even minute. This will limit someone from coming back days later and editing a long thread. Why not set it to, oh maybe, 2 minutes. When that expires. Then the post is locked.

Good idea!

It's set to 5 minutes :D

:heart:, osCommerce

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have set up and used phpBB a couple times now, and it has generally done what I needed. Of course, I have always customized it quite a bit to do exactly what I needed. That's precisely what I like about phpBB (and osC, btw).

If y'all think that you can get better performance and features "out of the box" with the new forums, then I say go for it. I think that you could probably fix phpBB's issues if you wanted to stick with it (and some of the features of the new forum - exporting PMs and such - seem kinda superflous to me), but I imagine you have other more important projects on your plate. Sometimes the best solution is the one that can be most easily implemented.

I don't think that one always has to go with the open source solution even if it doesn't work as well as another option, but I do think we should always favor them over other options of equal value.

Invision Rocks

As far as the "open Source" thing goes

it more or less is, not form a technical standpoint but you know what I mean

and I find Invision MUSH easier to customize, with more Hacks, Skins, and such avalible than that of phpbb, one look at ibplanet.com should set that striat

Michael

@ edits

NO !!!!

I have seen too much of history rewritten after spurts and bursts of frustration have occured and then quick editing used to cover up the evidence.

I've seen images snapshots taken to prove points.

I repeat NO.

Sure the posts can say "edited" and what not but it's generally not good in place where things happen.

@ search

hmmm, not much better in my opinon. Maybe there's some funcitons or hacks that need to be used. Try look for "New York" on iB :P

I recommend gossamer-forum. It's free for non-profit setups. $200 for places that make money. osC ???? donation supported. I wonder ... I could make a few inquiries.

Try this search http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforu...username=&mh=25

Pretty sweet if you ask me.

The forum itself is very managable and compares very easily to vB.

vB another alternative but $100 with no freebie choice I believe.

@ recent posts

iB's control is pretty sketchy at best. I hate seeing recent posts that I've read aren't greyed out to show such. phpBB is a little better in this regards.

@ security

hmmm, phpBB is widely used therefore a M$ type of target.

iB ... not sure ...

gossamer is pretty well debugged and the users are very demanding and actually many are perl gurus themselves.

@ how about donations?

Let's say if 100 people donated $1 paypal dollar ... we could get vB or ... if 200 people donated $1 and just buy g-forum.

Nothing against phpBB or iB but search ability itself will relieve humungous amounts of stress.

Just a few ramblings .... :idea:

NewsDesk(934) / FAQDesk(1106) / OrderCheck(1168) :::

All well and good,

BUT.. lets do something to address the idea of separating those posts that can be answered in 5 minutes from those posts that may require more community involvement.

The former seem to represent 90% of the posts and of which probably 80% have already been answered and the latter seem to get lost in the noise of "My install isnt working" and "How do I add new products"

If this problem goes on for too long where non-standard posts get continually ignored, I belive that the vast majority of the current members who have advanced beyond OSC 101 will go somewhere else for support and leave all of the OSC 101 questions here on this forum as well as all of the Piss and Moan sessions that seem to have sprung up.

Loren

The great thing about beating your head against the wall is that it feels SO GOOD when you stop!

The key to the babble that's occuring is definitely "search" ability.

I spending most of my time searching through pages and pages of threads. I've learned to use my browse to search the pages too.

Also, imagine this scenerio. Your post turns up 70 threads with about 300 pages. You try again and again. Screw it :twisted: post away.

Sure, I'm to blame for lot's of tangents but ... I guess that's because the babble is like the "broken window" effect that was found in the UK.

If someone else is doing it, why don't I.

True moderation does ploay a role but I don't want to be ruled by dictators eiher.

I still say take up a collection if need be to get the best forum. What's a dollar through paypal.

hmmmm, another thought is the contribution area. I've mentioned this several times and places. The contribution count is impressive but with snapshots, MSx, tep floating around, questions are bound to spring up.

Another point might be to actually incorporate the mods that people seem to ask about the most. The was a thread that asked for such a thing but ... sure bloat vs code is a consideration but if UPS and easy populate are that much of a thread generator then slap it in.

awww, gee, more babble from me <<< hehe, that rhymes :P

@ edits

NO !!!!

I have seen too much of history rewritten after spurts and bursts of frustration have occured and then quick editing used to cover up the evidence.

I've seen images snapshots taken to prove points.

I repeat NO.

Sure the posts can say "edited" and what not but it's generally not good in place where things happen.

I agree entirely... u wanna say it?.... then you better be prepared to live with it... :shock: To make the threads alterable opens the door for all kinds of hatred/libel... even five minutes can be enough time to injure somebody....

Also... I rely very heavily on my own memory for re-finding information.... this will be a nightmare if it no longer exists or key parts have been altered!

Is there a facility for finding your own posts on the new forum?.... I use this feature to keep track of threads I am involved with.... the current one is ideal...

The popup assistant seems a little flaky... or is it IE6..?.... thought my browser has crashed for a while there.... and all the links in the assistant were dead.... :?

A lot of people around here seem to think its a cool thing to swear in public... I for one do not... so if there is a filter, use it...

Hope there will be some skins... my eyes will not cope with the current theme for very long at all.... :shock:

If the search is better, then I am all for it, and will learn to live with anything I don't like...... this is so important.....

I agree entirely... u wanna say it?.... then you better be prepared to live with it...   :shock:  To make the threads alterable opens the door for all kinds of hatred/libel... even five minutes can be enough time to injure somebody....

I don't think much damage can be done within 5 minutes - it's just enough to make a correction where needed. The original version would also be available on the news server so if it is abused, appropriate action can be taken.

Also... I rely very heavily on my own memory for re-finding information.... this will be a nightmare if it no longer exists or key parts have been altered!

What if you read the postings 5 minutes later? :D

Is there a facility for finding your own posts on the new forum?.... I use this feature to keep track of threads I am involved with.... the current one is ideal...

Yep - it should be in the My Assistant window.

For example:

There are 3 new posts. ( View )  

1 of these posts are replies to topics you started. ( View )

There is also an option to list the last 10 posts you've made.

The popup assistant seems a little flaky... or is it IE6..?.... thought my browser has crashed for a while there.... and all the links in the assistant were dead.... :?

No idea - can someone else confirm this? I've had no problems with it.

A lot of people around here seem to think its a cool thing to swear in public... I for one do not... so if there is a filter, use it...

..or to provocate people - of which neither will be tolerated.

Hope there will be some skins... my eyes will not cope with the current theme for very long at all....  :shock:

:D I like it ;) We'll see what skins become available as soon as IB 1.2 is finalized (it's currently at RC2).

If the search is better, then I am all for it, and will learn to live with anything I don't like......  this is so important.....

Can you test the search feature out and provide feedback on the results?

By default, the search results are by relevance, which might confuse some people as by default here on phpBB it's listing by date descending.

I don't think much damage can be done within 5 minutes - it's just enough to make a correction where needed.

This is a very good idea. The number of times I've wanted to amend a post quickly for speeling ;) errors and such like.

The rules on the new forum are much clearer, but I'd like to see the rules applied to everyone, regardless of status which at the moment doesn't happen.

The rules on the new forum are much clearer, but I'd like to see the rules applied to everyone, regardless of status which at the moment doesn't happen.

Yep! The rules are for both community members and moderators.

There is a "Report" button next to each posting made, so making the moderators aware of a post is easily performed.

I think these reports are sent to all moderators of the channel where the post resides.

The chance of all moderators acting unethical is slim :D

@ edits

Wouldn't it make sense to reply to your thread with the corrections and any more info, to bring it to the top of the list for a greater chance of people seeing and replying to it?

Along with the above quote, I have seen the damage done in even a short amount of time. It still is your call.

@ search

iB still isn't much better than phpBB.

You are "ONLY" pointed to the thread and not to the "post".

@ recent posts

I'm not sure but it seems to remember based on time rather than when you have viewed the thread or not. I find phpBB much better in this regard,

@ popup window

I never use it and when I have it doesn't cause problems for me. I don't use it because I normally have close to 20 files open and 2-3 browsers going too. The window, for me, just gets in the way of things.

@ other browsers

Just out of curiosity, why such a strong opinion to only consider iB or phpBB?

Can you test the search feature out and provide feedback on the results?
FWIW, I miss being able to limit search by username. If this is something that can be added relatively easily to the IB code, that would be cool.

Search seems to work better for me...the results seem more relevant (without using *). It's especially nice that it goes to a particular post, rather than a thread.

Thanks,

Matt

I have seen the damage done in even a short amount of time.

Could you provide an example?

iB still isn't much better than phpBB.

You are "ONLY" pointed to the thread and not to the "post".

I believe you're actually pointed to the post in the thread - so if the post is in page 10, you're directed to page 10.

Just out of curiosity, why such a strong opinion to only consider iB or phpBB?

IB was considered because it's free (not Free), performs well, provides moderators with greater moderator access rights, and looks nice out-of-the-box :D

Migrating to another forum solution has been an issue to deal with for a while (due to moderators not having enough access rights on phpBB), and really went into full-steam ahead at our last internal meeting.

FWIW, I miss being able to limit search by username.

There is a "More Options" button at the bottom of the [simple] search page that leads to an advanced search page [which provides results in a different layout] - here you can filter by username.

@ search

Just tried at another forum that uses iB. Popped me to the top of the thread. However, I don't know if this is a setting issue or not.

iB has the ability to limit characters too. However, most sites set it to 3 or 4 minimum. hmmmm, what do you do when you want "HD. ""CD" or "meg" sure these are not very often used but like it was mentioned above, some folks tend to remember parts of the thread.

@ edits

hmmm, I'll pm you with the url. It's rather embarrassing to see members get ruff with each other. It's childish to turn such an option off but ... why take a chance.

@ choice

hmmm, looks shouldn't really be considered.

Sorry, about being blunt about this issue it's just that I trully believe a well debated choice will provide the most benefit to all and hopefully keep the community healthy and strong.

For one, I could not merge your reply (which you made in the news forum channel) to this thread - that is something that is possible with the testing forum :)

Actually there is a mod available for phpBB that makes this possible ;)

For one, I could not merge your reply (which you made in the news forum channel) to this thread - that is something that is possible with the testing forum :)

Actually there is a mod available for phpBB that makes this possible ;)

Yep. And it works fine. phpBB and osC are very similar in that you can make em do what you want/need if you're willing to roll up your sleeves and get under the hood.

Additional not-so-important reasons why you might prefer IB

(I did not spot them straight away which is why I mention them here):

[*]My Assistant

[*]ability to block PM from specific users

[*]export your PMs once the mailboxes are full

[*]create PM maildirs

[*]subscribe to complete channels

[*]manage your subscriptions

[*]get an emailed copy of a post (on subscribed threads)

[*]download html / text / MS Doc version of thread

[*]ability to report a bad post with single click

[*]prev - next buttons while reading a thread

[*]quick search on forum channel index (search this channel for...)

Mattice

Sorry for the double post, but 9 of the above features will be in phpBB 2.2 and 4 of them are available as mods for phpBB 2.0.x.

That's the beauty of phpBB. The massive community behind it making all these cool modifications as people request them :)

Archived