• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Suggestions for additions to core code

The following aren't bug - just suggestions for making the shop more user-friendly.

I suggest making the number of categories returned by category_tree to a setting. It is currently set to 1 and requires a code change to change it, which some sites will want to do. There are two places: modules/content/index_nested/cm_in_category_listing.php and modules/boxes/bm_categories.php.

Also, the cm_in_category_listing.php will never be used if a category has products. This has been a long-standing problem for many sites and there are several addons for changing the code. So I think that module should be duplicated into the index_products group.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

21 minutes ago, valquiria23 said:

It would be great to incorporate it as an addon or have two types of modules in the core and that the user selects the one he likes the most, don't you think?

There is already a core module for index_products. An addon could be created for index_nested but it seems to me that it should be part of core since the one already exists. It is not a big job either way. I think the level setting is more important since it removes the need for shop owners to edit files.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I agree Jack @Jack_mcs.
I would love to if we can add Juck as the second professional developers of Phoenix to work on the code on an ad-hoc basis. He has very interesting ideas and addon that can be added to the core of Phoenix to make it more attractive for new users.

But well ... it would be good to know what others think about my suggestion.

:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart: You'll find the latest osC community version here.

34 minutes ago, Jack_mcs said:

it seems to me that it should be part of core since the one already exists.

I agree Jack

I would love to have a second professional developer to Phoenix to work on the code on an ad-hoc basis. Jack would be a good candidate for his very interesting ideas and his great contrubuitions and addon. Hopefully some can be added to the core of Phoenix to make it more attractive to new users.

But well ... it would be good to know what others think about my constructive suggestion.

:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart: You'll find the latest osC community version here.

There is a lot of addons being done which should be core. Shop owners only struggle to get the setup to where it needs to be.
A captcha or similar on account creation, PDF invoice, make categories inactive, order editor, back to top and master password are a few that come to mind for myself.

Just 2c :)

Every time this discussion comes back. The problem is always simple; Who maintain that ? osC has been always simple to allow people to make their own approach.
After like official osC is under sunset, maybe Burt can do that, but I am not sure it want to do that.
The time to maintain a solution is horrible when you must to make correction or evolution. I know that, I have experience with that.
Note : just to maintain the phoenix, the time to resolve bug .... is very important for someone do not win money for this implication.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Archived