• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Because I am a new osCommerce user, I must ask this ridiculous question.

I'm hosted by Hostek.com and my domain is www.vionnet.us.  I have already installed os-Commerce in my site but I just cannot find out how to start using it and add items.

Would there be a benevolent soul who would tell me the answer? I'm only 75 years old.

I thank you in advance for your kind and generous response.

A. R. Vionnet

This is a rather old document but it should give you an idea of how things work.  Have a look and if you still have questions, just ask. 

Old Documentation

Before you get to far along, one other suggestion, make sure you install the latest version.  Phoenix

Dan

Firstly, if you have used an install built into your hosting panel you will almost certainly have an old and outdated version of oscommerce.

There are three main things that need to happen to get an osc site up and running: a database must be created, the osc files must be copied into your site and the install script needs to run. All or only some of these steps may be automated by your host.

From a visit to your site it looks like the files of an older version of osc have been copied in and the install script has not been run.

It's worth taking some delay and pain now and sorting this out to be the latest version of osc which you should download from oscommerce.com (see the links in our signatures). The link you find there will download the files to your local computer and then you're going to need to learn how to 'ftp' them into your hosting. This is just fancy words for copying them from your local computer to the remote one that's running your site. [stop me if you know how to suck these eggs!]

ftp is a useful skill because that's how you'll get addons into your site in the future.

You'll also need to find out if a database was created already or if you need to do that in your control panel, because you'll need that info to run the install script. You're looking for an icon in the hosting panel that's MySQL databases (or similar). If you can't find an existing database you'll need to create one -  there's probably a 'wizard' for this.

That stuff you'll only need the once, but there will be another icon, usually in the same group, called phpMyAdmin. This is a tool for getting around the database that you may need from time to time.

Finally another one-off job: your site is currently running using php 5.6. There is likely an option in your control panel for setting the php version - which you should set to 7.0 or 7.2

When these things are done, you are ready to run the install script, and after that you can start adding categories and products.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Archived