• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Addon Feedback

Feedback on Addons  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Allow Feedback on Addon "Support Threads"...

• YES, feedback helps to make a decision to use or not use an addon...it helps the coder to make better code...
    • NO, we should be happy that someone took the time to make an addon, let's not bash them for that...

• 20 Yes
  • 0 No. 

Tells us we must have something in place for feedback.  We don't have the ability (as of today) to do it in the Addons Area, so should we try it as part of the Support Thread?  

I'm assuming not too much interest in a committee of testers, so probably that idea is a non-starter.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

😂 Only you could read 20 as a resounding success but then compared to your 28d numbers it probably is. Any normal person would see this as a clear indication that the vast majority of users on this forum have zero interest in it. The old saying a " little power ........" 🙄

17 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

😂 Only you could read 20 as a resounding success but then compared to your 28d numbers it probably is. Any normal person would see this as a clear indication that the vast majority of users on this forum have zero interest in it. The old saying a " little power ........" 🙄

Thanks for the that Zahid.  I take it you would vote "No" for addons feedback?

1 hour ago, JcMagpie said:

Not a single person voted Burt's idea down.

Or are you counting all those who have not voted as a no, that are not how votes work.

All Burt was trying to do is improve the quality of the add-ons available or are you saying that you would rather have fifty poorly coded add-on compaired to ten better add-ons which has better features?

Phoenix support now at https://phoenixcart.org/forum/
App created for phoenix
TinyMCE editor for admin

It is interesting that no one voted no....even those who were quick to criticize the whole idea....can you actually vote no?...I'm off to try it. I also want to see if you can change your vote. 

Dan

10 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

It is interesting that no one voted no....even those who were quick to criticize the whole idea....can you actually vote no?...I'm off to try it. I also want to see if you can change your vote. 

Dan

Well you can vote NO but you can't change your vote after you've already voted.  Bummer I thought we might use the poll feature in rating the add-ons but it seems that is not a viable option.

Dan

The question to be asked is do any of the handful that propose this change have any idea of what legal problems they are opening the forum to!

Burt clearly has no idea or just does not care! Why should he it’s not his forum.

I would recommend you go look at the law’s regarding consent and changing rules on a public forum.

You 20 may not care but the other thousands may take a different view.

I would take a reasonable guess that the person who actuality has legal responsibility for the forum would not have been as naive as to give any of you the right to make such changes and expose him to such problems.

I really do not understand why this is a problem to be helped to design a addon in the rules of art.
For those who write the addon, it is a way to learn through the help of others.
For those who will use the addon, it's the security of knowing that the addon will do what it was designed without bugs to correct. For having helped several shop owners, I realized that corrective updates of addons were only rarely done. Which can create security problems among other things.

with OsC 2.2 since 2006 ...

As others have already pointed out this once wonderful forum that was built on free input which was welcomed by all is now beeing reduced to $$$$$ by a handfull of people.

No one with any comercial intrest in the selling osC code or services should have any say in how the forum is run full stop. Talk about conflict of interest!!! Most of the hostility is driven by vested commercial interests.

3 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

As others have already pointed out this once wonderful forum that was built on free input which was welcomed by all is now beeing reduced to $$$$$ by a handfull of people.

No one with any comercial intrest in the selling osC code or services should have any say in how the forum is run full stop. Talk about conflict of interest!!! Most of the hostility is driven by vested commercial interests.

You seem to be forgetting that without those very people we would not have what we have today. Some of us shop owners want to help push oscommerce forward and to do that we need to pay developers to get what we want. Those developers are found on and through this forum. They always have been and they always will.

Lets not push away the very hand that feeds us, which may happen if we are not careful.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Hostility?

Was I hostile when my code was stolen? 
Was I hostile when my copyright was changed? 
Was I hostile in return when I was called all sort of names?
Was I hostile in return when those pictures were posted?

I'd suggest all of the above exposes the doers to far greater legalities. 

Have I been hostile in this thread?  Or in any other thread or even by PM - the answer is "no".

There is a few people being hostile in this forum, and it certainly is not me.  It can even be seen by reading back through this thread.

A community project is based on voluntary support be that financial or not.

Once that support is held to ransom by demands such as buy my stuff or I ain't dong any more that person forfeits the right to have the project named community.

Back to CONSTRUCTIVE Addons Feedback.

Let's try it.  Feel free to start giving constructive feedback on Support threads. 

I am certain that addon makers will thank you for it.

Addon makers:  if the feedback is not constructive or is just personal rubbish, report the post using the usual mechanism.

16 hours ago, puddlec said:

or are you saying that you would rather have fifty poorly coded add-on compaired to ten better add-ons which has better features?

I personally prefer to have 50 addons that may not be coded in perfect form, but that professionals who know how to code will help to improve them .

Today we see 3 different models of addons:

1. Payments Addons made by professionals who do not publish anything in the market.

2. Basic free addons made by professionals, published in the market and that sell a pro version in private form (for example @raiwaand @Jack_mcs). For me it's the best way to advertise yourself.

3. Non-professional users like @JcMagpiewho create free basic addons and share them with the community, this is the spirit of OSCOMMERCE, what happens that these basic Addons interfere with the $$$ interests of professionals who try to sabotage them in any way.

I like the second business model (basic version and a Pro version) but regarding the third point remember that if nobody makes the first effort we will never get anywhere ...

Anyway, I'm totally in agreement with @burt, the criticism must be constructive and friendly.

Best regards.

Valqui

:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart: You'll find the latest osC community version here.

It's ok no need to make any more issues with this. Spent most of today in PM's people are happy to work like that get more done without interruptions.

Positive feedback with no issues, even had a user complaining one add-on was not working only to find they had installed on official osC which was a Bootstrap version no idea who's but problem was solved and add-on working os OP wanted on official osC.

So no problems everyone happy.

The interest of a forum is to be able to read both the question AND the answer. We are rarely the only one to have a problem. Find the answer on the forum, it helps a lot, lived experience.
If the answer is made only by PM, it does not help the community at all. :sad:

with OsC 2.2 since 2006 ...

@JcMagpie

These are your addons and support threads and the community will benefit from them. Please reconsider offering public support. I know it can be distracting having to read posts from "professionals" that feel threatened by you, but I think it's best to not take the bait and simply ignore/report inappropriate posts.

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

Sure but you have all made it very clear that the crap I produce is of no use so you will not benifit anything form the answers will you. Anyway there is a old saying

"what's good for the goose is good for the gander"  Those that are happy to use the crap are doing so are happy and still getting support.

You should all be happy now no more crap beeing loaded into the apps store. You can all now go and buy Burts stuff hopfully he will now reached double figures and be happy. He can have the rest of February all to himself now.😊

Infact had a OP asking me to update one of my addon's today to add more functionality, sadly had to tell him not posiable anymore he will have to talk to one of the developer!

Should make them happy. We will see if he get's what he needs or will he be another one that goes out side the forum and get help elsewhere.

Understand I need this like a hole in the head so you will just have to accept the situation for now, if and when attitudes change we will see. 

Weather is now improving so need to spend a little more time in the garden it's been neglected long enough. 😂🌴

16 minutes ago, Smoky Barnable said:

These are your addons and support threads and the community will benefit from them. Please reconsider offering public support

Everyone that uses my add-on and I'm pleased to say many do, all have recived prompt and free support, all have been happy and none has expresed any issues in doing it by PM infact some prefer it.

So don't worry the real community ( ordinary users) will continue to get support, I will continue to produces add-ons as and when time allows.

I do not think you produce crap Zahid! you are very wrong. I love your addons and in my opinion you were the person who contributed most to the community lately.

I use several of your addons and I need to let everyone know that you always give excellent support to me and many more people.

Also when you find errors you always upload an update.

Please reconsider and do not stop contributing, this is the  true spirit of oscommerce.

Best regards

Valqui

:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart: You'll find the latest osC community version here.

Once again, for clarity;

• No one (to my knowledge) has told Zahid to stop making Addons
  • No one (to my knowledge) has told Zahid to stop publicly assisting Addon users
  • No one (to my knowledge) has made personal threats and insults towards Zahid

It is his choice to perform the actions he has and to say the words he has.  I do not see anyone who feels threatened by his coding - in fact I have gone so far as to offer advice to him on copyright issues, language issues and so has at least two other professionals.  Response:  "mind your own business".

As for 28d, it's time for Zahid (and others) to stop beating that drum - it is a Commercial Project from a Commercial Sponsor.   Precisely nothing wrong with it, and in fact entirely within the spirit of open source.    

And now, once again, back to the issue at hand: 

Addon Feedback.  Feel free to provide constructive feedback to addon authors - including professionals - that is the only way to learn, by taking the use/feedback from lots of people across a range of abilities, using different PHP, different computers and so on.

Archived