• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Addon Feedback

Feedback on Addons  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Allow Feedback on Addon "Support Threads"...

• YES, feedback helps to make a decision to use or not use an addon...it helps the coder to make better code...
    • NO, we should be happy that someone took the time to make an addon, let's not bash them for that...

4 minutes ago, Gyakutsuki said:

The best approach is to create a thread, write a little comment and ask the community to verify the add on is correct or not. Some people can test, some people can look the look the cde and make comment.

So the one who coded the new module/app/whatever would make a thread before uploading to addons?
Maybe attach a .zip for download?
And then that thread would be used for constructive feedback until the mod is as good as it can be?  When the mod is as good as the coder can make it with helpful hints/advice, he would then upload to addons and make a support thread?

Is that how you are thinking it could work.
I think that could work very well.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, burt said:

The purpose of public feedback would be to not rely solely on a (say) 1-10 star rating, where the ratings will be skewed enormously by supporters and haters, regardless of how poor/excellent an addon maybe.

I get it and like what you're trying to do. I just don't think there is an easy, appropriate way to do that.  One rating per user with the users name attached, so there is accountability, might help others to judge the quality of the vote, and still keep it simple. 

I guess I was brought up in a different time, will I know I was.  I was taught that if I wanted to offer constructive criticism or reprimand someone, I should take them aside and not do so in public.

Dan   

@burt
It could an option. Let the code inside the thread is another option but the people has no time to recreate the code, portion is good
If someone has a problem inside this add on, it can says : Ok, I have a problem like that, could you help me ? See square thread for example.
Another point if someone thinks to have enough knowledge it can say at a beginner, ok for this module, I will take the community leadership and help you. If you have a problem, some others can merge.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Sure, I understand that.  Unfortunately, it's now normal practice to call people out (even for things unrelated to the discussion) - as you noted, it's even been done on this thread which I (still) hope may be the catalyst needed for a change of attitude in a lot of people.

Put simply;

If everyone stuck to giving feedback in a positive manner, and not trying to attack all the time...that would be ideal.

Just now, Gyakutsuki said:

@burt
It could an option. Let the code inside the thread is another option but the people has no time to recreate the code, portion is good
If someone has a problem inside this add on, it can says : Ok, I have a problem like that, could you help me ? See square thread for example.
Another point if someone thinks to have enough knowledge it can say at a beginner, ok for this module, I will take the community leadership and help you. If you have a problem, some others can merge.

Would you take the time to show leadership in this Community ?  Close down your fork and come back. 

@burt
No at this time. the conditions are no good in my sense.
HPDL has leadership for me and nobody knows what he wants to make in the future.
I will continue to help people in function my little time and request. 

I did just notice that each thread does have a star rating 1-5. ?
No, it doesn't have sense, the answer has a sense.
After something can be made with experimentation with StackOverflow approach.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

Just now, Dan Cole said:

Done....I didn't see any moderation functions or any idea of what it is suppose to mean.

Dan

Same.  It looks like it is the average rating, but it doesn't show who or how many stars they gave.  

1 minute ago, burt said:

Same.  It looks like it is the average rating, but it doesn't show who or how many stars they gave.  

It looks like you can vote as often as you want but perhaps it just adjusts your rating rather then affecting the average.  Maybe adding a simple poll to the support threads might help.  ie as simple as Solid add-on. OR Can be Improved (PM author).

Dan

Just now, Hotclutch said:

It's just an aggregate. The number of votes are not even indicated to users. So it's basically meaningless.

A custom plugin will be required with Admin rights to implement it.

There is a tiny bit of data available (but not displayed), but I think you're right...it's pretty meaningless without (at the very least) some tracking of names that can be viewed.  

"aggregateRating": {
  "@type": "AggregateRating",
  "ratingValue": 3.8,
  "ratingCount": 5
}

1 hour ago, burt said:

The purpose of public feedback would be to not rely solely on a (say) 1-10 star rating, where the ratings will be skewed enormously by supporters and haters, regardless of how poor/excellent an addon maybe.

Agree with the above. Without some sort of written explanation there will be nothing visible to those that would like to download the addon to see why a particular rating was given. It will also allow the developer to answer such remarks when releasing new versions. Keep it simple and all in one easy to find place. In some cases it would take far to long to look for and read through long support threads.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

People leave their feedback wrt to addons in the support thread as it is now, so this whole thread is a non issue as far as i am concerned. If you're going to implement a feedback system, the appropriate place would be at the "point of sale" or marketplace.

10 minutes ago, Hotclutch said:

People leave their feedback wrt to addons in the support thread as it is now, so this whole thread is a non issue as far as i am concerned. If you're going to implement a feedback system, the appropriate place would be at the "point of sale" or marketplace.

Trying to (by request!) stop the negative and de(un?)constructive comments on addon threads.  If everyone could just agree to give constructive feedback as and where they feel it deserves and constructive replies as and where it deserves it, we'd be golden.  So, any ideas - considering we don't have an ability to do it in the marketplace (addon area)...

19 minutes ago, Hotclutch said:

I think we can all agree with that.  The idea as I see it, is to see if we can come up with something that we can do while we wait for a more ideal solution.

Dan

"Constructive" feedback is subjective and can be perceived to be offensive, arrogant or pompous. If i thought my comments were offending the person who made a contribution, i would probably keep my next thoughts to myself, even if i thought the code was cr@p.

1 minute ago, Hotclutch said:

"Constructive" feedback is subjective and can be perceived to be offensive, arrogant or pompous. If i thought my comments were offending the person who made a contribution, i would probably keep my next thoughts to myself, even if i thought the code was cr@p. 

Sounds like you grew up in my era. :)

Dan

12 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

The idea as I see it, is to see if we can come up with something that we can do while we wait for a more ideal solution.

Why not just let people get on with things without getting involved, if a person is not using an add-on and has no plans to use or thinks they are all crap it it should be of no concern to them.

Funny how once Harold say it’s ok keep posting, suddenly Burt's keen on dong something! What did it not cross anyone's mind before? 😊

3 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

Funny how once Harold say it’s ok keep posting, suddenly Burt's keen on dong something! What did it not cross anyone's mind before?

Trying to add some way to rate/review add-ons has been under discussion on the forums, for years.  I just saw this as an extension of that --  I didn't realize that Gary was getting complaints.

Dan

2 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

Why not just let people get on with things without getting involved, if a person is not using an add-on and has no plans to use or thinks they are all crap it it should be of no concern to them.

Funny how once Harold say it’s ok keep posting, suddenly Burt's keen on dong something! What did it not cross anyone's mind before? 😊

Harald has said nothing to anyone for months.   I wish he would make a re-appearance and treat us all with a new version of osC.

I have NEVER asked you to stop posting or belittled your efforts.  What has happened to make you believe I have?

As for me being keen on something, yes I am keen on people treating each other with respect.  I was requested (by one of your supporters!) to take a fair look at the comments aimed at you and your addons, hence this thread.  Take a look at your replies to me (even just in this thread), honestly it makes me shake my head to read your constant defensive and argumentative tone. 

1 minute ago, Dan Cole said:

I didn't realize that Gary was getting complaints.

That's a crock of **** and we all know that. This only coming about because ..... Ahhh what's the point I promised Harold I would let him deal with it so I'm saying no more on the matter.

How about this for a left-field idea;

A small group of shopowners and a couple of coders who test each addon?  Say there are 5 shopowners and 2 coders.  

Maybe when 3/5 and 1/2 say "good" the Addon can be given some type of "certified" label as part of the support thread title ?

Of course that depends on there being a few people ready to give a bit of time, but as most addons these days are upload, click click, done (and there are not very many addons being added let's be frank)...it wouldn't be much time to give...

Archived