• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Paypal App - Fee

Dj-Viper

There is not this option in the app because your agreement with paypal expliclitly excludes you from applying any fee that's different to the fees using other payment methods.

If one of your clients complains to paypal that you are doing this they may close your account.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

If you only accept paypal then you should add a handling charge in the shipping module(s).

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Hi,

I use multiple payment modules, and used Paypal IPN already with Paypal Fee contribution, but is also stated on the webshop it's only a 1,5 % charge so that's ok, never had any complaints about it. But also set the limit of paypal payments to 150 euro max.

So than is the question how to add a fee or handling charge only to paypal section.

Greetings, DjViper

If I remember rightly, the EU banned surcharging for payment methods, completely and totally, sometime last year.
If you are in the EU, and I think you are (NL)...you are not allowed to place a surcharge for people paying by Paypal.
Prior to this new EU rule, it was legal to surcharge.  I wrote about it in the past if you search the Forum.

But Now...
It is illegal for you (you are in the NL) to place a surcharge on your customers for using Paypal.   /end
If you get caught...you'd be up in front of your countries "trading standards" office.

4 hours ago, bonbec said:

It's true @burt !

The trick is to offer a discount for those who do not pay by Paypal, nothing forbids it.

Indeed....over here I think the computer outlets started that trend....ie 2% or whatever discount for cash.  I'm been toying with the idea of doing that for payments by EMT.  Credit card charges, and charge backs can be brutal.

Dan

3 hours ago, burt said:

That is ingenious.  Yes, that is the way to do it.

You can't do that in the UK - how other European countries apply the regs I couldn't say.

From ...

13.1Discounts for a particularmeans of payment
13.2Whilst encouraging customers to pay with a certain payment method is not prohibited, it is important that any discounts for use of a particular means of payment do not create a situation in which those making payments by other means are effectively faced with a surcharge that does not comply with the Regulations.
13.3The government considers that, if a discounted price is offered for the use of any means of payment (whether that is a means of payment to which the Regulations apply or not):
•that same level of discount must be offered in all situations where regulation 6A(1) applies, so that there is no surcharge; and
•the difference between that discounted price and a higher price charged in any situation where regulation 4 or 6A(2) applies must be no more than the cost the payee faces in processing the means of payment in that situation.
13.4Some sectors may offer discounts on the basis of payment in instalments or one-off payments. Such discounts would not fall within the scope of the prohibition to the extent that they do not create an effective surcharge on a particular means of payment.  For example, it would be acceptable for a monthly magazine subscription to cost more over a year if paid for by monthly payments rather than a single annual payment, but any difference in such monthly payments on the basis of the payment method used would need to comply with the criteria described above.

14.1Booking and handling fees
14.2The government’s intention is that other fees, such as booking or handling fees, are not covered by the Regulations to the extent that they do not differentiate between customers on the basis of their choice of means of payment.  

The UK regs cover personal card payments and electronic payments but not cash and cheques. So you can charge more or less to people that pay with cash, cheques or company cards, but you have to charge the same to anyone paying with personal cards, paypal, applepay and so on.

40 minutes ago, BrockleyJohn said:

•the difference between that discounted price and a higher price charged in any situation where regulation 4 or 6A(2) applies must be no more than the cost the payee faces in processing the means of payment in that situation.

Just curious...what is this suppose to mean?

Dan

1 hour ago, JcMagpie said:

Personally I’ve never had any issue with payment of PayPal charges. After all your paying for a service.

A sale is a sale is a sale. Much better to make a sale at 2% less margin than to not make one at all.

It's much more than 2% margin. First of all Paypal starts with 3.4% plus 0,34. Of the sales price including VAT. 

If buy you product for 60 Euro's, and sell it for 100 Euro's, ex VAT, that would be Euro 121 in the Netherlands.

That would take Euro 4.11 Paypalfee. Next, that would be more than 10% of your margin.... 😞

Mathmatics right?

Whilst not really connected to this how many here have read about Geo blocking in the EU. These regulations state that no customer within the EU can be put in a position that discriminates against that person on price, amongst other things. Search for Geo blocking regulations that came into effect on the 3rd December 2018 as they make interesting reading if you have the will to live.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Damn! I hate regulations. Other people decide what I can do and cannot....

However, I have accepted that Paypal charges me.

If I get a call from a customer for order-support, I remind him of other payment options and they usually understand.... 🙂

Edited by René H4

2 hours ago, Dan Cole said:

Just curious...what is this suppose to mean?

Dan

Suppose your bank charges 2% for paying in cash, you can uplift price for cash by 2% but not 5% to discourage them more because you can't be bothered to carry it there.

I'm not sure I understand John.

So you can discount for cash as long as you offer that discount to everyone paying in cash?

Dan

This came up in the 1980's mainly with gas stations as I remember.  In the end, it was ruled they could discount cash sales, but not surcharge in any way someone using a credit card.  I beleive there is a law in the US about it.  Maybe the FTC did it.

Edited by John W

I'm not really a dog.

39 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

I'm not sure I understand John.

So you can discount for cash as long as you offer that discount to everyone paying in cash?

Dan

Yes, cash, cheques and company credit cards are excluded from our surcharges regs and you can add a charge or a discount to each of these payment methods but as you say it should be fair to all customers and not out of proportion with the cost/benefit to you of them using that method. UK businesses are not likely to offer a discount for cash as it costs them more to put in the bank than e-money... if they're giving you a discount for cash you probably won't get a receipt and it'll go straight in their pocket instead of through the books. This is more common in the service sector (particularly builders!) than retail because as a merchant your stock won't tally and you'd need to find an excuse for disappearing it.

Thanks for the explanation John and for hanging in there with me....that makes sense now....I was reading to much into your first post.  For us, there are no charges for making cash deposits and of course no risk of charge backs, so cash is still king around here and is encouraged even for retail sales.  The under the table stuff is a whole different matter however.  Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, I was raised to honestly to pay that game.  I probably couldn't manage a second set of books anyway. :)

Dan

2 hours ago, John W said:

This came up in the 1980's mainly with gas stations as I remember.  In the end, it was ruled they could discount cash sales, but not surcharge in any way someone using a credit card.  I believe there is a law in the US about it.  Maybe the FTC did it.

This reminds me of something I heard years ago. Television stations were told that they could not turn up the audio volume on commercials. So instead, they turned the volume down for the program. Whether it is true or not ...

I also see people involved in private transactions often asking for the buyer to pay the Paypal fees ...

Edited by ArtcoInc