• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Add Total order amount *(1,025) in conformation message

René H4

Hi folks,

Paypal cost is running out of control here, I am going to ask my customers to pay 2,5% of this cost.

Now I want to add this in the conformation message, but I have trouble finding the correct code.

I would need the variable for the total amount, and multiply it by 1,025.

If the variable would be $order_total, I would get this code I suppose:

($order_total * 1,025)

But how would I get the variable for the order total? 

That's where I get stuck.

osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4.1

You can NOT do this it is against PayPal policy.

"

PayPal specifically states the following policy:

4.6 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions

"

Edit: @JcMagpieThis is in the US.

The terms in the Netherlands just show "discourages upcharge".

https://www.paypal.com/nl/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#5

5.4:

PayPal ontmoedigt toeslagen omdat het een commerciële gang van zaken is die de klant kan straffen en onnodige verwarring, irritatie en het vroegtijdig verlaten van het betaalproces kan veroorzaken. U gaat ermee akkoord dat u alleen toeslag rekent voor het gebruik van PayPal in overeenstemming met wetten die op u van toepassing zijn. U gaat er verder mee akkoord dat als u een toeslag berekent aan de koper dat u, en niet PayPal, de koper op de hoogte zal stellen van de gevraagde toeslag. PayPal is niet aansprakelijk als u de koper niet over een toeslag heeft geïnformeerd. Als u zich niet houdt aan de bovenstaande bepalingen, vormt dit een schending van deze Overeenkomst en heeft PayPal het recht om deze overeenkomst te beëindigen overeenkomstig paragraaf 7.

So I can do what I want. 🙂

Just bin PayPal, Amazon does not use it and they manage quite well!

PP are just too expensive for a small trader, I use Stripe instead now, no appreciable change in sales.Customers who always used PP now use Stripe and I gain 2%

Live shop Phoenix 1.0.8.4 on PHP 7.4 Working my way up the versions.

1 hour ago, honda4 said:

Hi folks,

Paypal cost is running out of control here, I am going to ask my customers to pay 2,5% of this cost.

Now I want to add this in the conformation message, but I have trouble finding the correct code.

($order_total * 1,025)

osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4.1

The payment processor costs have to be considered a business expense and should be included in your price calculations. Discourage people from using PayPal by offering other payment methods. I used to only offer paypal and not there are bank transfer and stripe. Lots still use Paypal but not as many as there used to be.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

If PayPal discovers you're charging customers extra to use them, at least in the old days they would threaten to dump you (ban you from their service). Nowadays, with more competition, they might not go to such drastic lengths, but still they discourage the practice. Almost any payment method involves some per-transaction amount, so why not take your average customer's transaction fee percentage and just bury it in your base price? As has been pointed out, such fees are a normal business expense and you should be expected to account for them in some above-board manner (i.e., not simply eat them).

As far I know there is a COD (cash on delivery) Order Total module to add fees for the COD payment method.
Maybe you can adapt it to make it work with PayPal and instead calling it payment fee name it "handling fee" so that you won't get into any trouble.

payment_fee.zip

Not long ago I purchased something in Germany and the shop added a PayPal payment fee (3%) at the very end of the order process. They never mentioned anything about a PP fee anywhere inside the shop.
I was not pleased but I can't blame them for doing so. Their prices are cheaper then anywhere else even with the PP fee so I didn't complain. However it would have been nice if it would have been mentioned somewhere before going into checkout.
I am sure if I would have mentioned this to PP it wouldn't turn out good for them. PP prohibits to charge a PP payment fee.

Just make sure you inform your customers about such a fee so that they won't be surprised by it. I know from personal experience that sometimes it is hard to compete with prices and if you have to raise them only to cover the PP fee and for that risk loosing to your competition then I don't see any problem rolling the costs over to the customer. PP charges way too much in certain countries and why should a shop owner not be able to decide what to do with those charged fees boggles my mind.

If PP deosn't like that shop owners charge fees for PP payments then PP should do a better job and give fair and decent fees on their transactions, world wide!
My wife opened a shop last year and when she applied for PP I was very surprised how high the fees are over here. 3.9%!!
The US boys on the other hand have lower fees (2.3 or 2.9% I think) and lot more alternative payment options.

1 hour ago, Tsimi said:

The US boys on the other hand have lower fees (2.3 or 2.9% I think) and lot more alternative payment options.

Over here it's 3.4%. 

And yes, it's a matter of competative prices also. If you sell a product with a 15% margin, and PP takes 3,4% of that, there's not much to earn, is there?

@MrPhil You say: so why not take your average customer's transaction fee percentage and just bury it in your base price? 

Today's sales prices are not set by the seller, but by the market.

PayPal like many others base the fees on sales volume.

So it's not allways a good thing to offer several payment systems as you will be diluting your volume per method and not be able to make use of the brakes in fees!

Current PayPal fees in EU

No monthly fee
From 3.4% to 1.7% + 0.35 EUR per transaction based on total sales volume.

5 hours ago, honda4 said:

Today's sales prices are not set by the seller, but by the market.

If you have no control over the prices you can charge, and can't get your costs down enough to earn a living from it, then it sounds like your business model is not viable. That's the unfortunate truth today. When the only retailers left in the world are Amazon and Walmart, perhaps people will have learned that low prices aren't everything.

Your only choice is to not accept payment systems that charge excessive fees.

And legally, you can't tack on a new fee at the end of the process, without having adequately warned the customer that you would be doing that, and giving them a chance to change their mind about the payment method (or the entire purchase). It's fraud on your part.

Now I have all of your attention, let me ask my initial quastion again.

($order_total * 1,025)

try this it works but is a hack,

in includes/classes/order.php find around line 335 and edit to this,

if (DISPLAY_PRICE_WITH_TAX == 'true') {
        $this->info['total'] = ($this->info['subtotal'] + $this->info['shipping_cost']) * 1.025;
      } else {
        $this->info['total'] = ($this->info['subtotal'] + $this->info['tax'] + $this->info['shipping_cost']) * 1.025;

You probably need something more elegant than this to show the added amount to customer.😂

image.png.c7be501fb0f51bc877f82d169863d433.png

6 hours ago, honda4 said:

Now I have all of your attention, let me ask my initial quastion again.

($order_total * 1,025)

Hi,

Which version of PayPal do you use ?

Osc v2.3.4 BS "custom"
PHP 7.3 compatible (710 modified files => o_O')

I use the moneyorder payment type, and use the conformation message to communicate the payment types.

In the conformation message I provide three options:

1. Payment by bank 
  2. Paypal 
  3. iDeal payment request

In the text for Paypal I just use a Papal.me link. As simple as that!

Currently it looks like:

Naamloos.jpg

Archived