• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

oscommerce v2.2 multiple tax zone support?

bonedonut

Greetings! I have a website running oscommerce 2.2, and we are trying to get tax zones set up to add sales tax  to purchases, using individual state sales tax rates. The developer who is assisting me said that oscommerce only supports one tax zone. is this true? from all the tutorials online, it seems like I should be able to set up a different tax zone/rate for each state. Can anyone provide any insight? Thank you very much for your help!

In the 2.2 shop that I used to have I had 3 different tax classes (21% - 6% - 0%). I think you can set up as many as you like.

After that you can create tax zones to which you connect the tax classes.

It's a bit of a hassle to find out how, but I am sure it's possible.

I hope you're not starting out with an osC 2.2 shop! 2.2 is ancient history, and won't even run on most systems without extensive repairs. If you want to keep running with osCommerce, you should really be thinking about migrating to the current offering, osC 2.3.4.1BS Edge/CE/Frozen. Note that this is not the official version downloaded from this site, but is on GitHub. It's a fresh installation (not upgrade), and your database and image files can be migrated to it. Even if you already have a running production shop in 2.2, and you're looking to add sales taxes, it won't keep running without constant fixes to make it PHP 7-ready, is insecure, lacks many features, and is not responsive. Edge has all this built into it. If you chose a 2.2-based template, shame on whoever sold it to you.

I've never tried multiple state sales taxes, but from what I've heard, it should be possible. Unfortunately, the applied rate (per tax class) will be statewide -- there's no built-in mechanism for tax rates by ZIP Code (or other geographic criteria) within a state, although there are some add-ons to do the job. I don't know if any of the add-ons can handle multiple states with multiple tax jurisdictions within each. Finally at the very end of the process, each tax jurisdiction gets its own rates for each tax class. With the new environment where everyone is going to have to collect sales taxes for 45 or so states (there are a handful without sales tax), the situation is fast becoming intolerable. As discussed elsewhere on this forum, something needs to be done quickly to harmonize state sales tax systems so that small merchants can handle them with reasonable effort.

Archived