• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Updating process

timswait

I'm trying to work out how installing updates work. I've got a lot of steps to go through, right from v2.3.1 to the latest! I'm reading the release notes that come with the updates and working out how this works. I can see the steps as:

-Maybe run some SQL commands on the database - I can do that

-Often add files in the required locations - I can do that

-Often modify files - does this just mean copy the supplied files into the relevant places to overwrite the old versions? Later in the document it lists the changes to the files, I'm assuming this is just for reference not meaning for me to go in and edit the files?

-Often new modules - I take it these are in the files that are copied in and if I want to use these then I need to install them through the admin page?

-API changes  -I don't know what this means - is this something else that has to be done? Or is it just something that's included in the new files?

-Is there anything else I've missed that needs to be done.

@timswait

To what version of osC are you upgrading?

The last 'official' v2.3.4 (and v2.3.4.1 hot-patch) version is very much out of date! The osCommerce project was lead by one person that has been absent for quite some time. In his absence, the "community" has continued with the development of osC. Unfortunately, that one missing person is the only one that can make this continued development an 'official' release.

The 'Community Edition' (also called osC-CE (for Community Edition), osC-BS (for Bootstrap, the platform it is based on), osC-Edge, osC-Final, and/or osC-Frozen. These are all different names for the same thing) is a big improvement over the last 'official' v2.3.4 release in a number of ways:

1) It is responsive. This means that it will adjust the screen layout depending on the size of the screen of your customer's device. This is very important in this day of mobile devices. The 'official' version is not responsive.

2) It will work with the newer version of PHP, the scripting language used in osC. As more and more hosts upgrade their servers to PHP 7.x, older versions of osC (including the 'official' version) will crash.

3) It is much more modular. This means that you can turn features on or off, change the layout, or even add new features, all without touching the core code.

You can find a link to the latest version of the Community Edition in my signature below.

Now, having said all of that, there is no 'upgrade path' to the Community Edition. You would install it clean into a separate directory on your server (local or hosted), and migrate your images and data over from the old store. I am not aware of any detailed instructions on how to migrate your data over, as there have been numerous database changes over the years.

This will not carry over any mods or customizations you may have done to your original store. You would have to apply these all over again (you did keep notes of what you did to your shop, right?). Fortunately, many of the mods needed in the older versions of osC are now built-in in the Community Edition. Any styling changes will have to be applied again too.

If this all sounds too difficult, you can post a RFQ in the commercial support area of the forum to hire someone to do this for you.

HTH

Malcolm

What I would do is to install a copy of the latest BS version from Github to your web hosts either in a seperate folder or as a sub domain. Set everything up, add your addons and generally play and change the  look and feel of the site as much as you want. When you are ready to activate the new look store you need to close your store, and get someone to transfer your customer and product data from one database to your new one. There are lots of other bits that need transferring to. Once that is done either redirect to the files on your hosting, or move the files to the root and away you go.

That is what I did on the advice of a developer, who when I was ready transferred all the database data across, and away I went. There was no rush, no panic and I could play and get used to the new code as long as I wanted. It also meant that the website was only offline for a few hours, rather than days.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived