• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

NEWBIE - Help needed with WYSIWYG installation

yrlady

Hello Everyone!

I just found osCommerce as an add-on script in my cPanel. I decided to try it since it has paypal as a gateway. I added all the categories and sucategories and now I want to add the products...

Anyway, I found out about the wysiwyg contribution on the boards here and have no clue how to begin installing... I am not proficient in php or programming etc. and was hoping that someone could help me to figure out how to install it. I already downloaded the zip file....

What is PHPMyAdmin and how do I use it to install the html editor is there a way around that? Can I just upload the files to my server via wsftp?

The html editor would really help me as I have a lot of products and already have the text formatted in MS-Word so I could just copy and past without much hassle.

I had to create about 8 stores before I got this far and don't want to have to do another.

If you want to look what I've done so far to see what I mean, here is the store...

http://ikebagifts.com/shopping

any help would be appreciated... thanks!

hi was at your site, clicked on men catagorie, got 8 sub catagories

if you have products for these 8 sub catagories then click on the name of the sub catagorie, click on new product, and add you info, remember, the little box below manufactor is what the customer will see on the page, along with the price, the description will show when they click on the product. Add taxable at the bottom of the page if your gonna add tax and if this is loaded 5 you have to add a weight , if you do not ship by wt. ad.01 for wt. or you will not get a shipping charge.

Hi yrlady

If you have already formatted your product descriptions with MS WORD why would you want to install HTML area?

One other thing if you say your osommerce store was a CPANEL script install you would most likely have PHPMyAdmin already installed under your Database options....

There is more information here about the HTML WYSIWYG Area,

If this contribution is too advanced to install with PHPMyAdmin ect.. you may want to take a look at the other HTML area contributions in the downloads section, there are two others available that dont require to much alteration to your files.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46937

Cheers Lee

Hi again,

Thanks for all your help...

If I copy and paste the descriptions from ms-word, the description on the product page does not come out the way I want it... Every paragraph runs into the next... To go around that I usually put in the html tags <p></p> etc... but its a pain to copy and paste and then to go back and put in all the italics and bold face features etc.

I thought the wysiwyg would help to retain the original format of the text... correct me if I'm wrong... like I say - I'm relatively new to this...

thanks again...

using an editor will not retain the text as you see it on a page without the <br> and <b>, it willjust copy the text load it without getting white spaces, which is why you need an editor for cpanel. At least you don't have to re type the whole thing. Once you insert <br> thats what you get no matter how wide the space you put it , but if the space is smaller, you get broken lines from the break<br>

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR WYSIWYG EDITOR

This I can do...

Extract the files in the zip-file to the htmlarea/popups directory, using

folder names.

It's here, that I have the problem...

To run the script, add a button to the toolbar with id "linktofile". Then

add the following code:

<code>

else if (cmdID.toLowerCase() == 'linktofile') {

var fileLink = showModalDialog(_editor_url + "popups/file/insert_file.php",

editdoc,

"resizable: no; help: no; status: no; scroll: no; ");

if (fileLink) { editor_insertHTML(objname, unescape( fileLink) ); }

</code>

Note that this code differs from the way Image Manager is called. Also, the

code may differ for HTMLarea 3.0a.

Thanks again!

thanks again!

I guess I'll just close my eyes and take the plunge. I'll do a backup first and see what happens. I'll check back to see if anyone else replies to this post later.

Hi yrlady

You are right, I have HTML area installed in oscommerce description filed and I have just copy formatted text from MS WORD Directly into the HTML Area and it retains the original format.. very neat.

And regarding my first post I mixed MS WORD with FRONTPAGE, I assumed you had prewritting products, with the HTML tags, I realized MS WORD does not have such a feature..

You should not need to do this, this script is from the Javascript File editor.js, it places a new button on the HTML Area Editor that allows you to add links into your products description, This script does not install HTML Area Editor in your products description... it assumes you already have it installed - this is a plug-in script for HTML editor bar...

To run the script, add a button to the toolbar with id "linktofile". Then  

add the following code:  

<code>  

else if (cmdID.toLowerCase() == 'linktofile') {  

var fileLink = showModalDialog(_editor_url + "popups/file/insert_file.php",  

editdoc,  

"resizable: no; help: no; status: no; scroll: no; ");  

if (fileLink) { editor_insertHTML(objname, unescape( fileLink) ); }  

</code>  

Note that this code differs from the way Image Manager is called. Also, the  

code may differ for HTMLarea 3.0a.

Cheers Lee

Lee,

that's exactly what I was talking about with ms-word.

so can you (or anyone else) tell me step by step how to install the editor? I would really appreciate this...

-------------------

please be patient with a newbie :?

The html area mentioned below is what I want to get... how do I install the html area?

You are right, I have HTML area installed in oscommerce description filed and I have just copy formatted text from MS WORD Directly into the HTML Area and it retains the original format.. very neat.

This might well be a very simple thing... but when you dont know - you just do not know. And I fall into the later category.

Hope I can get this done soon...

Thanks again for all your help!

yrlady

If you want to send me a copy of your, admin/categories.php file I will make the modification for you and also attach the needed files to upload back to your server.

I can install a simple layout, with-out the need to change your database.

you can send the file to my email [email protected], send as an attachment..

dont try to PM the file to me as its to long and gets cut-off in the PM

its just easier if I do it for you rather then write up a manual..

Cheers Lee

Hi yrlady

Ok I got your email, I will make the alteration in a moment and send them back, do you have access to PHPMyAdmin via your CPANEL - Database Managment?

I need to know this first before I send the Files back to you..

RE:

what do I do with comment_email_bar.php 

comment_newsletter_bar.php

newsletters.php

mail.php

Upload all these files into your /admin folder

also there is another folder called includes upload that into the admin folder aswell, it has a few files in there that need to be uploaded aswell - you need to overwrite some files with the ones you upload - so I must stress to you to make a backup of them files before uploading the modified ones in the includes folder -just incase of incompatability.. you may have an older version of oscommerce..

Let me know about the PHPMyAdmin before I return this file.

Cheers Lee

Archived